Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2021, 02:27 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm sitting here watching "Kelly's Heroes". "The Green Berets" comes on next...
Mystery science theatre 3000 here. It's Castle of fu man chu.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:39 AM   #22

State: California
THOR #23628
Wow- I had no idea there were all these posts today. I’ve been recovering from the entire incident. My three week trip canceled in the first day, through no fault of mine.

First to Judge & Hooligan2: thank you for your posts and support. I really appreciate it.

Second: I am a newbie. The Winegard was on the coach when I bought from camping world. I apologize for not knowing the specific name or what it did. I hadn’t even set it up yet. I didn’t need it for the trip.

Third, I did not hit anything. I drove along 99 south, 58 east, and I40 east. I didn’t even know the Winegard was hanging off until a CHP officer pulled me over. He said it wasn’t safe for me to get out and inspect the RV in the area where I pulled over, and he suggested I drive 7 miles to the next exit. As I drove those 7 miles, the unit fell off. I then pulled over, I noticed rippling on the roof. I drive to the nearest gas station and asked a man driving an RV to climb on top and he told me that the plywood was showing and the roof was torn. I tried calling RV repair shops, but it was the Friday before Memorial Day and everyone told me I was SOL. As I drove to the nearest RV park, it scary to drive- the rippling of the roof was loud and made it unwieldy to drive. I was alone with my 70 year old mother and 6 year old daughter. I did the best I could under the situation. It was not safe to drive, hence the need for the tow.

Fourth: there have been numerous problems with this coach, but certainly nothing to this level of seriousness. The propane lines were not purged, so at first the stove and water heater didn’t work, the captains chair arm rest didn’t work, prewired HDMI cables didn’t work, cabinets didn’t latch, shower hoses leaked, locks didn’t lock, bunk ladders didn’t fit because brackets were installed too high. All of these prior issues dealt with comfort - they didn’t affect the safety of the coach. The quality control is a major issue.

Fifth: the tow was necessary because the the roof flapping all over the place made the rig completely unstable. Even the tow truck driver had to stop a few times because of the drag.

I’m a new Class A driver- we’ve had class Cs before this. I’ve never had an issue like this.

There were no unusual weather events in the area- a few gusts here or there but nothing unusual. Certainly nothing that should have caused a properly secured unit and roof to rip off. This was the longest trip we’ve taken. Most others were only 1 1/2 hours away. Just one week prior, the rig was in the shop trying to fix those issues I mentioned above. No roof or Winegard issues then.

In short- I was driving at approximately 60 miles per hour, the Winegard came off and hung off the side, blew off somewhere along I40 and a tear occurred on the roof at the same time. I did not hit anything. I was simply driving.

I honestly don’t know what else I could’ve done.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:42 AM   #23

THOR #23628
I can’t post video. But the first pic is if the winegard hanging off and the second is the ire from behind the tow truck, with the roof blowing up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D3F5CC1-1529-4F1D-8BE0-2F987BFE3BCE.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	31023   Click image for larger version

Name:	84280865-8502-4D76-BC80-70C1789916DB.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	636.2 KB
ID:	31024  

Old 05-31-2021, 10:43 AM   #24

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Unfortunately.... in today's world most people are guilty until proven innocent.

You are fortunate the TV Coax and Power Cables held so the unit did not go flying off and end up doing damage to another vehicle or worse at 60MPH.

Before people started throwing stones.... all they had to do is pull up the brochure to see the Wingard ConnecT 2 was standard on the coach. Many newbies would not know what it is and dealers don't do a great job of explaining it so it was not too difficult to think a newbie might call it a satellite given how it looks.

While some of the other explanations were plausible like hitting a branch or something else that could loosen it up or tear it off... I have enough experience with Thor coaches to know their assembly guys are horrible with screws and screw guns and that is the most likely the root cause. Given they had a history of this pre-COVID and now they can't make coaches fast enogh, it is likely quality suffers even more than before.

I've had issues with the entry door hinges on My Magnitude built in 2019 because the screws used were too small and too short of the weight of the door and 6 out of 9 screws were overtightened and stripped. Then I just recently had another screw issue on my coach. When I had my coach at the Thor factory service center at the end of last year, they told me they had to replace the rear slide motor because it stopped working. I was surprised because we didn't have any slide issues before.

When I started prepping the coach for the season three weeks ago, the rear slide motor failed.... after Thor just replaced it. After doing a bunch of troubleshooting I found that at the factory someone installed a slide trim screw at an angle and it was not sunk completely. The screw was sticking out about a 1/4" and everytime the slide opened and closed it hit the top of the slide motor until the screw tore the plastic top off the motor.

I can't blame the Thor tech for missing the screw issue because it was only noticeable when the slide was completely closed. If the motor failed with the slide open, he would have never seen the screw or how it was hitting the motor causing damage.

The good news is that Thor's Customer Service is excellent! Even though my coach is out of warranty, they sent me a new slide motor after sending them a picture of the issue even though my coach is now out of warranty.

Be calm and explain everything that happpened to Thor Customer Service. Give them a list of all the issues you have had. Be polite and try not to be emotional an just be factual with as much detail and supporting info as possible (pics, etc.). My experience is Thor will take care of you and / or have a dealer make it right.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #25

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I just looked at the roof schematic for my FW 28A. It shows the areas that have stuff mounted (Winegard, place for a satellite dish, area where the ladder attaches) are covered with EGS (?) that I assume is a metal sheet.

I think that the screws were not tightened or maybe not even installed!
Sure wish Thor would put detailed documentation like that on the owner's website for our 2022 Quantum JM31. All that is there is component manuals and how to video's. I need to know what outlets are connected to the inverter and the so called electrical diagram that is there is a block diagram lumping all the inverter connections in to a single block that says the inverter is not connected to all the outlets. Sent Thor Customer Service an email and got an auto response that said they would answer my question soon. Did not receive a response so four days later sent another email but still no response.

Bob
Old 05-31-2021, 02:06 PM   #26

Model: challenger
State: Alabama
THOR #21263
temporary fix= staple gun and eternabond tape.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:21 PM   #27

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
I've done a lot of research in the 6 months we've owned our FW 28A. THOR's Owners page is great as it has all of the model and serial numbers for your rig. I use that and go to each product's website to download the manuals. I put them on a thumb drive and put that in my laptop bag. All of the paper manuals I have put in a 3 ring binder along with some of the more important info printed out from the downloaded manuals.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:25 PM   #28

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Sure wish Thor would put detailed documentation like that on the owner's website for our 2022 Quantum JM31. All that is there is component manuals and how to video's. I need to know what outlets are connected to the inverter and the so called electrical diagram that is there is a block diagram lumping all the inverter connections in to a single block that says the inverter is not connected to all the outlets. Sent Thor Customer Service an email and got an auto response that said they would answer my question soon. Did not receive a response so four days later sent another email but still no response.

Bob
What I have seen is that the inverted is powering the circuit that has the entertainment plugs as well as the refrigerator. Sometimes that includes the outlets in the bedroom.

On my FW 28A the 110v breaker panel has two breakers for outlets: one for GFCI and the other just says receptacles.

When I install my inverter, it will most likely just power the receptacle breaker.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:07 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberjean73 View Post
As I drove those 7 miles, the unit fell off. I then pulled over, I noticed rippling on the roof.
This may be an issue when you deal with Thor - - when the unit fell off, did you retrieve and keep it? Thor may want to inspect it or see photos of it.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #30

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:

Third, I did not hit anything. I drove along 99 south, 58 east, and I40 east. I didn’t even know the Winegard was hanging off until a CHP officer pulled me over. He said it wasn’t safe for me to get out and inspect the RV in the area where I pulled over, and he suggested I drive 7 miles to the next exit. As I drove those 7 miles, the unit fell off. I then pulled over, I noticed rippling on the roof.

It was not safe to drive, hence the need for the tow.

Fourth: there have been numerous problems with this coach, but certainly nothing to this level of seriousness. The propane lines were not purged, so at first the stove and water heater didn’t work, the captains chair arm rest didn’t work, prewired HDMI cables didn’t work, cabinets didn’t latch, shower hoses leaked, locks didn’t lock, bunk ladders didn’t fit because brackets were installed too high. All of these prior issues dealt with comfort - they didn’t affect the safety of the coach. The quality control is a major issue.
I am glad you came back to clarify. I think you would agree that Post #22 provides more insight to answer your question posed in Post #1. To put in analogy so it is not personal, imagine walking into a doctor's online forum and you advise you had a broken leg and wanted to know how it was covered with insurance? The best answer could only come with more information, I don't see inquiries as an assumption of guilt or innocent.

With that said I do have another question. Did the CHP follow you for the 7 miles? Seems to me that if they knew Wingard was hanging that may have been more dangerous than he simply safely directing / diverting traffic while the RV was on the side of highway.... to at least inspect it to see if it could be safely removed?

Also, why didn't he or you just dispatch the tow service right away? I think most all new RVs have some time of Roadside Assistance?

Regardless, it just seems as if an Officer is helpful enough to pull you over to let you know something was hanging, would also have followed through; and thus the question if he trailed you, and saw the Wingard fallout?

But back to your original question, as you have described it; I concur this is something that should be covered by Thor's Mfg warranty.

On a side note; related to all of your other issues? Did Camping World rush you through or rubber stamp the PDI Process? If so; the problems you had previously incurred may be normal and reasonable without a thorough pre inspection before buying? I am assuming all of those items have been fixed? and if so, you may actually be one of the lucky ones. I personally had to walk away from 2 brand new Thor Motor Coaches (ACE 29.3 & Windsport 27B) because the Dealer would not commit to fixing all of the items noted as part of PDI.

Glad you and family came out safe
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:46 PM   #31

THOR #23628
No the CHP did not follow me. It was Memorial Day weekend- either he had somewhere else to go or something else to do.

Once I was made aware of the roof tear, I was on the phone with Good Sam and they were trying to arrange a tow. But on the Friday before Memorial Day, there was no tow available that could also take me, my 70 year old mother, and 6 year old daughter, and there was no one we could find that allow us to tow it to their location. So we decided to seek shelter at the nearest campground that had a opening. My husband then drove 5 hours to get us and allow us to unpack everything we had stowed for a three week trip. I was then able to find an RV dealer in Laughlin who took pity on my situation and allowed the RV to be towed to their location.

Honestly, Good Sam was not equipped to handle this type of situation.

I did the best I could under the impossible situation I was placed in.

I don’t have the Winegard. It blew off. There was nothing I could do.

Thank you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:19 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
To the OP, thanks for your post. It reminds me to check the roof stuff before I leave the Panhandle and head home. It has been windy here and I don't need anything falling off the roof. If you stay on this forum for a very long you will begin to ignore the Thor apologists that will blame you for everything that is wrong with your RV. You will also begin to ignore the Thor haters that blame Thor for everything they do wrong. For a less jaded view I would suggest you look to the IRV2 forum. The folks there are more helpful and don't seem to blame newbies for being nubes.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Unfortunately.... in today's world most people are guilty until proven innocent.
I will yield because you a Judge and this may be out of my knowledge base ; but doesn't your statement go both ways?

If you are Thor Motor Coach, aren't they suppose to be innocent until proven guilty of negligence or at fault of their warranty? Or, is it in today's world in the case of Thor Motor Coach the presumption is guilty until they prove their innocence?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-31-2021, 06:31 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:

Thank you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it.
Good luck and I hope this turns out well
Old 05-31-2021, 06:34 PM   #35

THOR #13932
I can't believe, due to life experience, that blowouts happen nowhere except exactly over the nail that caused it.
I can't believe there is no possible way a tree(insert preferred menace here) hit that rooftop device anywhere between manufacturer released delivery drive, dealer or driveway, loosening it, allowing it to come off during very prevalent HUGE dustdevils in the area. But I can believe how a target of any ilke might make that windstorm case as a reason to not pay.

i can believe the roof could have flapped loose causing the ROOF to be loosening the missing appliance. I believe instead of being surprised by scenarios different than she expresses, that the op might want to consider how someone blamed for the lost unit might counter with this, or any argument.

I am unable to give the op any insight into any argument that will be made by insurance or Thor or dealer...or am I....

My lack of imagination and inability to initiate an argument from the payor perspective, halts me in my tracks(no, it doesn't).

If any of you can't read my words, and use them to find a defense against those exact words which will be used on the other end of the op's phone, dont read my words.

I think the op understands the pre-defense path I send her on.
I tell of alternatives and scenario. None based in emotion or scant information.
The other end of the line will be doing their damndest to not get involved.

I wish you preparation and the ability to precreate answers to alternative scenarios.
Bandwagoneering is the last kind of input you need right now.

And
Since it's at a dealer, maybe the dealer should make the initial call and the op should await the response.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:10 PM   #36

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I suggested the possibility that perhaps the roof membrane came loose first and flapped the Winegard unit loose. I didn't suggest this as a means of assigning guilt, starting an argument, or inducing doubt in the OP, or anything else like that. IMO, the most logical course for the OP is to try for a warranty repair.

The reason I suggested a possible alternative scenario, and why the exact nature of what happened might matter, is so that others with similar RVs (ahem .. ME!) would inspect the right thing. I inspected both on my RV earlier today. My Winegard Connect 2.0 is mounted at a very similar location to the OPs. Fortunately, both it and the roof membrane appear to be solidly attached.

I do hope the OP can get a satisfactory resolution on the repair, and hopefully still get to take that trip! What a way to start out ... I wish the OP only the best for the future.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #37

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
I suggested the possibility that perhaps the roof membrane came loose first and flapped the Winegard unit loose. I didn't suggest this as a means of assigning guilt, starting an argument, or inducing doubt in the OP, or anything else like that. IMO, the most logical course for the OP is to try for a warranty repair.

The reason I suggested a possible alternative scenario, and why the exact nature of what happened might matter, is so that others with similar RVs (ahem .. ME!) would inspect the right thing. I inspected both on my RV earlier today. My Winegard Connect 2.0 is mounted at a very similar location to the OPs. Fortunately, both it and the roof membrane appear to be solidly attached.

I do hope the OP can get a satisfactory resolution on the repair, and hopefully still get to take that trip! What a way to start out ... I wish the OP only the best for the future.
Exactly.
You and I don't post for any reason, the way we post, except to offer some alternative to the.unknown which is being speculated upon by the uninitiated.
And our points are widely applicable, not pointed only to the op.

Narrow minds make narrow answers.
We seem to be a bit more broad based.

I used your perfect flapping roof scenario to drive home the
ANY alternative except to pay
Stance any insurance or dealer or builder will taie until proven otherwise.

Others in this thread have said the same things we have, while being endearing.
Tomorrow is the day. We can all be endearing after the op is presented with alternates...because tomorrow is the day.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:47 PM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Exactly.
You and I don't post for any reason, the way we post, except to offer some alternative to the.unknown which is being speculated upon by the uninitiated.
And our points are widely applicable, not pointed only to the op.

Narrow minds make narrow answers.
We seem to be a bit more broad based.

I used your perfect flapping roof scenario to drive home the
ANY alternative except to pay
Stance any insurance or dealer or builder will taie until proven otherwise.

Others in this thread have said the same things we have, while being endearing.
Tomorrow is the day. We can all be endearing after the op is presented with alternates...because tomorrow is the day.
Bravo X2
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2021, 11:53 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Let's all hope that this problem comes to a quick, complete, and successful conclusion.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:00 AM   #40

THOR #13058
When I hear the word flapping, it brought to mind an issue with a brand new 2019 Windsport 27B that I did not buy. I insisted on not only test driving it; but wanted to get it on Interstate. Dealer reluctantly gave the okay. With Salesman in the RV; as I approached 50mph we starting hearing some noises on the roof Confused the Salesman said to go ahead; I got it to 70mph and it got worse; so I figured that was enough. As I slowed down taking an exit, about 3 to 4 ft of the rubber seal from the top of the windshield fell over the windshield I pulled over and let the Salesman drive it back. That RV did Not have a Wingard Connect but if it did, based on this picture like the OPs 2021 Freedom Traveler it would have got whacked pretty good given it's location on the roof.

Note: This was an item the Dealership said they would fix, but it was compounded with other items that Dealer would not fix, or not try to fix until after the purchase that served for us to pause as we did not buy the Coach. I had the distinct fortune of joining this Thor Forum BEFORE my purchase; and I view it as being an undisputed leader for help and accurate information . I ultimately bought a Winnebago, but if you go back and read the threads of my history; you will see my issues or impediment to owning a Thor Motor Coach were due to Dealer induced issues. Not Mfg defects from Thor Motor Coach. In fact; my experience with dealing with Customer Service of Thor Motor Coach was very positive. My money says, once validated; they will stand behind ANY Mfg defect. But just like in a court of law, innocent people lose what may have otherwise been an open & shut case. Information is Power, use it all to your advantage. Isn't that the purpose of this Thor Forum... to share information
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021 Thor Freedom Traveler 2021 A32 Roof.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	31052  

Tags
roof, warranty