Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2020, 03:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #18965
First Tow

I am getting ready to tow my JK behind my 31 Windsport for the first time. We are taking my daughter to Daytona for her Birthday. I have towed my boat and a trailer before with my truck but never anything behind the RV. I am going to practice next weekend but before I do, I am trying to figure out what to expect. The biggest questions I have is, the toad will simply follow the same track as the rear tires so I don’t need to add any extra distance on turns.

Any other tips of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:04 AM   #2

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Are you towing on a dolly or flat towing? If you are flat towing the biggest thing to be careful to not get yourself into a situation where you have to unhook. Since you can’t back up while flat towing. Out side of that it’s pretty straight forward we tow our unlimited behind our 32 foot and it’s pretty easy to handle.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #3

THOR #18965
Thank

Thanks for the reply. We are flat towing. I thought it would be pretty straight forward but just wanted to check. We were up at Highland Hammock last weekend and I watched all the coaches leaving with jeeps on Sunday and they all appeared to track in line with the rear tires.

We are using a Ready Brake Elite II tow bar and I just installed the ready brake system and a Hopkins wiring harness. I have a 3inch lift with 35s on the jeep and since I am using a plate that bolts directly the end of the jeep's frame as my attachment point so there is a 6" difference from the coach hitch to the Jeep's attachment point. Just waiting on my 6" riser to arrive.

I am going to call Axxera this week to see if there is any way to turn on the backup camera when driving but I think there is probably a safety issue that prevents that. Is there any other way to see my toad while driving? I have to image it will be so close to the coach to see in my side mirrors.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
We flat tow a Jeep Wrangler. Since it sits inside the RV, it simply tracks behind the RV. So, when making turns, it follows along nicely.

We have a braking system also, so I barely notice that the Jeep is even being towed.

My Axxera radio does allow me to keep the rear view on the entire trip.
I touch the screen,hit the Rear View icon & then it stays on until I hit a different icon or use a turn signal.

Most Axxera models switch to the side camera view when the turn signal is on & most mute the radio as well, for a safety feature.

Once the turn signal goes off, it takes a few seconds for the rear view image to return.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

THOR #18965
Rear Cam

I haven't played with it yet but while at a red light I tried to hit the rear cam button but it was grayed out. The camera works perfectly when backing up so maybe some turned it off as an option. I will play with it this weekend.

Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
I haven't played with it yet but while at a red light I tried to hit the rear cam button but it was grayed out. The camera works perfectly when backing up so maybe some turned it off as an option. I will play with it this weekend.
Thanks again.
Hi:
It’s grayed-out because you need to go deeper into the settings function to turn on camera access.
It’s in a default off mode right now.

Once your settings are complete, the rear camera icon will be available.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:38 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I can also vouch that the axxera on our 2020 Thor 24F DID show the rear view while driving. However, after owning for less than a year, it now displays "no signal" for all camera functions! I checked every fuse I could find... Even pulled the unit from the dash and checked all connections and the fuse in the back. Still no image. Warranty work over coming winter months... Radio/audio still works.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:56 AM   #8

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
I am getting ready to tow my JK behind my 31 Windsport for the first time. We are taking my daughter to Daytona for her Birthday. I have towed my boat and a trailer before with my truck but never anything behind the RV. I am going to practice next weekend but before I do, I am trying to figure out what to expect. The biggest questions I have is, the toad will simply follow the same track as the rear tires so I don’t need to add any extra distance on turns.

Any other tips of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Our Cherokee almost follows, almost. I've rubbed a couple of crubs.
Watch your as you practice your turns.

To reinforce Elete Washingtons caution about backing. Don't even try, I've had friends volunteer to "back that thing up". 1 guy had a hard time believing me till I backed up about a foot l had him stand back there and watch the front wheels .
Old 07-24-2020, 03:07 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Our Cherokee almost follows, almost. I've rubbed a couple of crubs.

Watch your as you practice your turns.

To reinforce Elete Washingtons caution about backing. Don't even try, I've had friends volunteer to "back that thing up". 1 guy had a hard time believing me till I backed up about a foot l had him stand back there and watch the front wheels .

Anyone tried having DW hold the toad steering wheel straight while you do a bit of backing? Easier than unhooking/hooking if it works. It should.....
Old 05-09-2021, 04:17 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I can also vouch that the axxera on our 2020 Thor 24F DID show the rear view while driving. However, after owning for less than a year, it now displays "no signal" for all camera functions! I checked every fuse I could find... Even pulled the unit from the dash and checked all connections and the fuse in the back. Still no image. Warranty work over coming winter months... Radio/audio still works.
Update: Service found cooked camera connectors behind the ceiling/wall at the rear of the coach. YIKES!
Fortunately was covered under extended warranty.