Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
My Rustoleum Red 2000F paint after 3 weeks. It is almost fully orange now.

I got trip coming this weekend so it will be interesting what it looks like next week.

I do want to get a siren with motion detector but I want to but one that works and will not have too many false alarms because I will have it at home.

Don’t mean to sound like a smart aleck but what was the point of painting it? I’d not think the thief’s would care…

Old 09-02-2021, 01:00 AM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Toying with designing a motion sensor powered off the 12volt system... VERY low (milliamps) current draw. Would be a very small self contained waterproof box mounted under the rig... only tripped by motion under the motorhome.

Wired directly to the battery with a small on/off toggle switch able to be mounted inside the door.

Would work off your home Wifi, so MH would need to be parked within range... basically a device which connects to your WiFi just like a phone.

When tripped, the device would immediately send you a text and/or email. Possibly option would be a screaming alarm - which could be disabled??

Shotgun or 30.30 not included...
Now this the kind post you would expect from Ohio, what is it (Ohioan?) You should be the expert in this kind of stuff, put me down for a preorder.

The thought came to mind too that what is the siren was not a siren nor screaming, but the sounds of vicious pitbulls, can you imagine being under an RV and hear that dog barking sound ever increasing as if the dog is getting closer.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:13 AM   #43

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Don’t mean to sound like a smart aleck but what was the point of painting it? I’d not think the thief’s would care…
This was easy let me count the ways, and I will stop at 10 just so I don't over do it

1. Gave me something to do
2. Improved my self esteem
3. Gave me a feeling of fighting back
4. At $10/can It was something I could afford ( I have spare can as I bought two)
5. It made nice pictures for my insurance company, they prolly would not care either; but they would have to listen and I would have proof that I tried to be proactive without damaging the unit
6. I get to post pictures of what I done and show others what it looks like over a time lapse
7. My wife and daughter now know exactly where the Cat Converter is
8. I got dibs with another fellow Winnebago owner who did the same but he he painted SAPD (San Antonio) whereas I have DPD
9. If it is stolen and happens to be found; with the serial number it could be traced back to me
10. It a 1st step to buy time to what I may do next, which is prolly buy some type of motion sensor alarm
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-02-2021, 01:32 AM   #44

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Now this the kind post you would expect from Ohio, what is it (Ohioan?) You should be the expert in this kind of stuff, put me down for a preorder.

The thought came to mind too that what is the siren was not a siren nor screaming, but the sounds of vicious pitbulls, can you imagine being under an RV and hear that dog barking sound ever increasing as if the dog is getting closer.
I actually have one of those "beasts". The MH sits out back in a fairly large fenced yard... which gives Marco a little running start if someone were to ever invade "his yard". The wildlife who've encroached haven't fared too well... although the opossum faked him out playing "possum", and the skunk... well you know how that goes.

In my situation I like a silent alarm. The element of surprise is a powerful deterrent... especially with a dog hanging off your @$$.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:57 AM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
I actually have one of those "beasts". The MH sits out back in a fairly large fenced yard... which gives Marco a little running start if someone were to ever invade "his yard". The wildlife who've encroached haven't fared too well... although the opossum faked him out playing "possum", and the skunk... well you know how that goes.

In my situation I like a silent alarm. The element of surprise is a powerful deterrent... especially with a dog hanging off your @$$.
We were gonna get this Beast Pet Bull, then I learned if he mauled the Thief we could be sued So I bought the $10 can Red Spray paint instead.

In America, we have the right to bear arms but not defend our property.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2021, 03:42 AM   #46

THOR #16721
Quote:
We were gonna get this Beast Pet Bull, then I learned if he mauled the Thief we could be sued So I bought the $10 can Red Spray paint instead.

In America, we have the right to bear arms but not defend our property.
I have always carried a hefty liability premium on my homeowners insurance for that very reason. If someone "accidentally" breaks through the gate at two in the morning... just as I'm letting Marco out for a tinkle... things can happen that only insurance company lawyers can sort out.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:48 AM   #47

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #19026
Let me know whatever you figure out because I've been studying the same thing. I have not figured out a motion sensor that would trigger what I would like to. Like a flashing light AND a screaming alarm. I never know whether my Wi-Fi will work that far away. Most of them I have found are solar which keeps them from being installed under the RV.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:18 AM   #48

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edki45 View Post
Let me know whatever you figure out because I've been studying the same thing. I have not figured out a motion sensor that would trigger what I would like to. Like a flashing light AND a screaming alarm. I never know whether my Wi-Fi will work that far away. Most of them I have found are solar which keeps them from being installed under the RV.
The motion sensor is a passive infrared (PIR) type sensor, which typically is 3.5 - 5 volts. The motorhome 12volts can easily be stepped down to that to power it and a small controller board. It could easily be configured with connectors for intense flashing LED lights and your run-of-the-mill car alarm.

Actual device would be about the size of a very small margarine tub. The lights and siren would use 12volts directly from (most likely) house battery. It would be nearly hidden mounted to the underside floor of the RV... and false alarms shouldn't be a problem because someone/something would have to be directly under the MH to trigger it. A cat maybe??

Gotta do some sketching, but seems doable...
Old 09-02-2021, 07:59 AM   #49

THOR #13058
Houston Police Department

Quote:

This explains the DPD - Dallas Police Dept. On the opposite side of mine, I painted the same digits of my VIN# that are on my Texas Registration Sticker

I like to think that if mine were stolen, and it were in the back of a getaway pickup without about 25 other stolen units, maybe DPD who was running a sting operation could have a couple of their Blackhawk Helicopters out and spot the Orange Cat in the rear, see DPD and the copter verifies the VIN# so they have proof of stolen goods. They issue a Halt it's the Police order and a warning shot before accidentally releasing two AGM-114 Hellfire missiles. I may not get my Cat back, but the 6:00 new would be interesting to record on YouTubeTV
Old 09-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #50

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edki45 View Post
Quote:
The motion sensor is a passive infrared (PIR) type sensor, which typically is 3.5 - 5 volts. The motorhome 12volts can easily be stepped down to that to power it and a small controller board. It could easily be configured with connectors for intense flashing LED lights and your run-of-the-mill car alarm.

Actual device would be about the size of a very small margarine tub. The lights and siren would use 12volts directly from (most likely) house battery. It would be nearly hidden mounted to the underside floor of the RV... and false alarms shouldn't be a problem because someone/something would have to be directly under the MH to trigger it. A cat maybe??

Gotta do some sketching, but seems doable...
I am watching as well. The below is from a company out of Whitehouse, Ohio and likely the max I would spend $179. It seems like the right idea, but may be overpriced.

I need to ensure it is something that only triggers if you go underneath the RV near Cat Converter, because my RV is parked at home. False alarms is what wish to avoid as it will irritate neighbors and us.

https://www.catstrap.net/product-pag...ectronic-alarm
Old 09-06-2021, 01:55 AM   #51

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I bought a Carstrap with the motion activated alarm after my converter was stolen but I haven’t installed it. I’ll probably get around to installing the alarm one of these days but when I asked a LEO friend of mine about mechanical deterrents he said he’s seen annoyed BGs cut wiring harnesses or even the chassis frame while they are under there with their saw. And they’ll get the converter anyway. It give you pause….
Old 09-06-2021, 02:57 AM   #52

THOR #13058
Quote:
I bought a Carstrap with the motion activated alarm after my converter was stolen but I haven’t installed it. I’ll probably get around to installing the alarm one of these days but when I asked a LEO friend of mine about mechanical deterrents he said he’s seen annoyed BGs cut wiring harnesses or even the chassis frame while they are under there with their saw. And they’ll get the converter anyway. It give you pause….
In addition to that, I have heard that Insurance companies say the claims are higher for the Repair / Replacement when a mechanical device was attached. I have not seen a mechanical device yet that I truly think will stop from stealing on mine, maybe add another minute of cutting though.

I do want that motion alarm or something similar though. But if a thief is low enough to steal a Orange painted catalytic converter, it is no telling to what length they would go through to get around mechanical deterrents.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:06 AM   #53

THOR #16721
A few thoughts...
I'm preparing to purchase some test components. I know for my requirements I want the following:

1) Extremely low incidence of false alarm.

2) A timed alarm... auto shutoff after 30 seconds(???)
If the perp is still under the vehicle after 30 seconds, it would continue the alarm. This could be programmed even shorter... will have to test.

3) A very loud - annoyingly loud - alarm. That's the nature of the beast... shortening the duration and controlling the trigger zone is about all that's advisable to prevent pissed off neighbors. Part of my testing involves narrowing the trigger zone to a small area where only a converter thief would trigger it.

3) I considered tying into the RV lights for alarm flashing, but that's another animal... and would require a custom install ($$$) for someone lacking the expertise. I might do that, but would YOU??

4) For my personal use case I have VERY bright motion activated LED flood lights in my back yard... among other "deterrents".

I'm open to suggestions for a flashing light and where to place it. Remember though... you don't want to make it easy for the alarm to be disabled by the thief. AND... ease of installation is a limiting factor. So you want wiring to be somewhat stealth.

I'm thinking portability... can be removed and taken/used on the road in campgrounds, etc. Powered from the RV's batteries and can easily be switched off. The alarm horn would be a more permanent under-hood install, but simply unplugs from the sensing unit.

The advantages of an effective alarm is blowing the would-be thief's cover BEFORE he starts sawing... make him think twice. It only takes about two minutes for the theft... add 30 seconds to cut a strap or two.

The reason they are successful is swift action while nobody's looking... like between parked cars in a large parking lot. Only a gutsy thief is going to spend those two minutes with an alarm blaring attracting attention. It's more likely than not SOMEONE is going to lay eyes.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #54

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #16788
Here is the alarm (PIR) we installed for our motorhome. I remove it before driving as it is plastic and probably wouldn't last much of a road trip. It has a remote control that works from the RV. I attach it with a couple screws on a horizontal surface, turn it on and then activate with the remote. Only use it in front of the house. It is loud enough to warm me when I am home. "Aiming" it was critical to make sure the "target" was covered by the PIR but not too sensitive to be activated by passing cars or pedestrians. So far, no false alarms but sweeping your foot under the RV near the converter activates the alarm.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MK2VRRQ...roduct_details
Old 09-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #55
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy737 View Post
Here is the alarm (PIR) we installed for our motorhome. I remove it before driving as it is plastic and probably wouldn't last much of a road trip. It has a remote control that works from the RV. I attach it with a couple screws on a horizontal surface, turn it on and then activate with the remote. Only use it in front of the house. It is loud enough to warm me when I am home. "Aiming" it was critical to make sure the "target" was covered by the PIR but not too sensitive to be activated by passing cars or pedestrians. So far, no false alarms but sweeping your foot under the RV near the converter activates the alarm.
Does it go off when squirrels run under the MH?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #56

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
how about this. I will tape an envelope to the converter with $500 cash in there. I will write in big black letters. Please take the envelope and do not take my Converter. Sort of what Biden did with Russian Hackers. You can hack, but not these industries.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #57

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
how about this. I will tape an envelope to the converter with $500 cash in there. I will write in big black letters. Please take the envelope and do not take my Converter. Sort of what Biden did with Russian Hackers. You can hack, but not these industries.
Oh no... now we're going off the rails in the wrong direction...
Old 09-20-2021, 03:12 AM   #58

THOR #13058
4 more scum behind bars....

We need more stories about this stuff (successful arrests and prosecutions) to educate the mass pubic than all of the other nonsense that headline our news.

https://starlocalmedia.com/thecolony...1d7e89e51.html
Old 09-20-2021, 03:22 AM   #59

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy737 View Post
I got mine today, thus far I really like the sound of the siren. I am struggling on where to put it though? I am thinking about mounting on 4 or 5 ft plank and sliding underneath the RV in the middle behind the sets of Duallies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Does it go off when squirrels run under the MH?
From the ease of it to trigger I would say Yes, but the squirrel will run off and never come back as it is loud.

We use to have squirrel problems until one day one eat into my expensive patio furniture, I was threaten with a fine to use my pellet gun; so I bought my own Haveahart squirrel traps, I catch on average 70 squirrels per year and the city comes by and pick them up. If I see one squirrel, I will catch him inside of 3 days 100% of the time
Old 09-21-2021, 01:24 AM   #60

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
46 seconds it is gone

local TV showed video of a SUV in driveway getting CC clipped! 46 seconds! Older chev PU with bed load of CCs ... LAs Vegas