Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We connected the VEGAS rear camera to our GARMIN RV760 LMT...

BIG improvement over the AXXERA. It has the distance lines, which are great, and I have the GPS mounted on the dash where I can see the backup cameras without trying to look down at the radio..

Just picked up the coach after having window tint applied, and they connected the camera to the wrong jack on the GPS, so all I had was the AXXERA. Man, I felt lost.

It is unbelievable how much I have come to rely on the camera now that I can actually see it!
How did you do that Mo_Mike? Do you have pics? Did you just unplug the camera from the back of the radio and insert it in the Garmin? Did you access it thru the top of the dash or have to take the radio out? Which plug is it in the radio and Garmin? I also have a 760 and would like to do the same thing. You must still have the side cameras hooked to the radio? Thanks. Great idea.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Look in my signature for the Pioneer model. The camera is original. The screen is so much brighter with the new radio.
Very good. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #23

Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: Washington
THOR #7789
From those of you that have replaced the Axerra or wired the camera to a different unit or Garmin -- do you have side mirror cameras and if so, how are the video outputs wired? Is there a separate switcher that handles gives a single input to the stock head unit based on the turn signal input?

I have not pulled the Axerra unit yet to check it out, but I'd like to look into replacing it as it is just not very good. Might end up adding a separate monitor that's just for the cameras to be mounted closer to the steering.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #24

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I have the Pioneer. I had the installers put small toggle switches in the useless cubby at the bottom. I really never use the side cameras. And when I am hauling my toad, the only thing the rear view camera sees IS the toad.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #25

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Several of us have purchased and installed a 9" quad view monitor from Rear View Safety. You can view all the cameras at the same time in different configurations on a nice large easy to view screen. Installation took about 30 min and was very easy. $224 for monitor, mounting base, and wiring harness. This monitor uses the same five pin camera connections that Thor uses, others from like Amazon use an rca connection and won't work. One of the best mods I have done, and I've done a bunch. Here is a pic, not very good, sorry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	5638
Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Can you display split screen on the Garmin and have the route and rear camera? Also can you use splitter and route the rear camera video to both the garmin and the Axxera unit?
No you can't do split screen, but you can press the camera icon on the GARMIN anytime to get the camera feed to show.

Yes, you can have the camera connected to both the AXXERRA and the GARMIN at the same time. Actually, we have the standard hookup on THE AXXERRA to use when we are on radio and activate the backup or side cameras as normal. Then, we also connected the cameras to the AXXERRA so when we have our XM SATELLITE radio going it provides camera feeds all the time. Better than the DVD WHEN IN MOTION warning you get normally.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #27

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
How did you do that Mo_Mike? Do you have pics? Did you just unplug the camera from the back of the radio and insert it in the Garmin? Did you access it thru the top of the dash or have to take the radio out? Which plug is it in the radio and Garmin? I also have a 760 and would like to do the same thing. You must still have the side cameras hooked to the radio? Thanks. Great idea.
Sorry, missed your post. I will get you pictures tomorrow and post.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #28

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkTank View Post
From those of you that have replaced the Axerra or wired the camera to a different unit or Garmin -- do you have side mirror cameras and if so, how are the video outputs wired? Is there a separate switcher that handles gives a single input to the stock head unit based on the turn signal input?

I have not pulled the Axerra unit yet to check it out, but I'd like to look into replacing it as it is just not very good. Might end up adding a separate monitor that's just for the cameras to be mounted closer to the steering.
There is a switching unit that controls what camera is currently live. The backup camera is standard on, then the side cameras come on with your turn signal. There is an output that is connected to the AXXERRA and then an additional video output.

I connected a splitter to the video output so I could have the GARMIN and an ALWAYS ON connection back to the AXXERRA do we could have video when we are on our XM SATELLITE feed.

If you didn't want this additional feed, and just wanted it on the GARMIN, you wouldn't need the splitter.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #29

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Sorry, missed your post. I will get you pictures tomorrow and post.
Thank you.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane
State: California
THOR #8189
Are the stock cameras installed wired or wireless?
(I have a model 2011 Hurricane 32a)
Old 07-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #31

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Iezzi View Post
Are the stock cameras installed wired or wireless?
(I have a model 2011 Hurricane 32a)
The cameras are hard wired with connections terminating under the dash.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:55 AM   #32

THOR #7789
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Several of us have purchased and installed a 9" quad view monitor from Rear View Safety. You can view all the cameras at the same time in different configurations on a nice large easy to view screen. Installation took about 30 min and was very easy. $224 for monitor, mounting base, and wiring harness. This monitor uses the same five pin camera connections that Thor uses, others from like Amazon use an rca connection and won't work. One of the best mods I have done, and I've done a bunch. Here is a pic, not very good, sorry.

Attachment 5638
That's pretty cool. Very helpful info.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:18 AM   #33

THOR #7789
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Several of us have purchased and installed a 9" quad view monitor from Rear View Safety.
Is that this monitor? The ability to show the rear view larger is very cool. I am also thinking of mounting a second rear view camera with a narrower FOV that is aimed at a flatter angle to see vehicles in the rear blind spot.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:57 AM   #34

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkTank View Post
Is that this monitor? The ability to show the rear view larger is very cool. I am also thinking of mounting a second rear view camera with a narrower FOV that is aimed at a flatter angle to see vehicles in the rear blind spot.
Yes thats the camera we used. I also went with this bracket.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety...nitor-952.html

Hopefully the link will work.

Jerry

Name:	20170621_172756.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	5654Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172738.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	5655
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:00 AM   #35

Model: Hurricane
THOR #8189
Thank you Super D!!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:53 AM   #36

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post

Here are the pictures of our setup.

We just used a "Y" splitter on the video coming out of the THOR camera switch (VIDEO OUT) to connector for the GARMIN 760 and connector for the AXXERRA REAR VIDEO IN.

NOTE: If you just wanted the AXXERA to operate as it always has on REVERSE (Backup) and TURN SIGNALS (Left and right cameras) then all you would need to do is take the VIDEO OUT directly to the GARMIN camera in. You do need a RCA to 3.5mm plug to connect to the GARMIN.

However, we wanted to have the REAR camera on the AXXERRA when our XM radio was on, so we had to bring the VIDEO to the AXXERA REAR A/V INPUTS. I left it that way after we connected the GARMIN so the passenger could see what was coming up behind.

The "Y" connector actually caused some interference between the GARMIN and the AXXERA (in REAR AV MODE) so I got the 12V VIDEO SPLITTER from AMAZON for 12.00. Cleared it right up, plus gave me control over signal strength for each device separately.

I connected the splitter to the same power source as the camera switch..

The GARMIN gives a lot better picture (larger and easier to position) and it has the backup "Lines" to help judge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	backup1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	5726   Click image for larger version

Name:	backup2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	5727  

Name:	backup3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	5728   Click image for larger version

Name:	backup4.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	5729  

Old 07-10-2017, 01:11 AM   #37
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I did something similar to Mo_Mike but used this 10" monitor instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used the video Y-Cable and now I have the backup camera on this monitor all the time (except when the turn signals trigger the side cameras) and I can adjust the volume and everything else on the radio as it is not in "camera" mode anymore.

The BU and side view cameras still show up on the radio when triggered by reverse or the turn signals.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #38

THOR #1765
Thank you very much Mo Mike. That's great. I think I will buy an RCA to 3.5mm plug and connect it directly to the Garmin 760 and see how that works for me. Thanks for the info, that makes it easy.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #39

THOR #6513
SuperD thanks for that info!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #40

THOR #6513
Wow. How bright is it? Can you see it easly in bright daylight. Also curious as to how it is mounted. Does it give you any options other than the base shown on amazon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I did something similar to Mo_Mike but used this 10" monitor instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used the video Y-Cable and now I have the backup camera on this monitor all the time (except when the turn signals trigger the side cameras) and I can adjust the volume and everything else on the radio as it is not in "camera" mode anymore.

The BU and side view cameras still show up on the radio when triggered by reverse or the turn signals.