Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2021, 01:53 AM   #1901
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
When we first bought our Vegas in 2019 we had plans for 3-4 day trips and tailgating at our local university football games. Now we have planned our first long trip (2 weeks), and I am painfully aware that our storage needs are now completely different than they were before.t.
HI ... I when I saw your post I had flashbacks of previous years of travel in our motorhomes....It is so hard to keep wants and needs in check when planning a long trip....the only help I can offer is REMEMBER...there is a WalMart or Dollar Store of some kind in just about every town you go through...so don't overload ..knowing that if you need something you can stop and get it.
We recently, sold our AXIS and downsized to a Scamp 13' trailer...OMG ! talk about not having any room....takes on a whole new perspective....even for a 2 day camping trip...now, the Jeep which was our toad with the Axis...is the tow vehicle and is transportation for lawn chairs and coolers ! ENJOY YOUR EXTENDED TRIP...sooooo much fun !

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #1902

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
HI ... I when I saw your post I had flashbacks of previous years of travel in our motorhomes....It is so hard to keep wants and needs in check when planning a long trip....the only help I can offer is REMEMBER...there is a WalMart or Dollar Store of some kind in just about every town you go through...so don't overload ..knowing that if you need something you can stop and get it.
We recently, sold our AXIS and downsized to a Scamp 13' trailer...OMG ! talk about not having any room....takes on a whole new perspective....even for a 2 day camping trip...now, the Jeep which was our toad with the Axis...is the tow vehicle and is transportation for lawn chairs and coolers ! ENJOY YOUR EXTENDED TRIP...sooooo much fun !
Thanks so much! We finally broke down and bought a Jeep Wrangler for a TOAD. Now if they just don’t shut down Mr. Rushmore

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:32 PM   #1903

State: Alabama
THOR #14401
Got new house batteries

This is all new to me, I’m ready to connect both hose batteries back up in our 2018 Thor Vegas 25.3, my question is do I need to disconnect t the battery in the engine compartment???? Heck I don’t even see the battery in the front of rv��
Old 11-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #1904

Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1
THOR #25433
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
What mods have you done or are thinking of doing on your Axis/Vegas?
I have installed SUMO springs.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:18 PM   #1905

Model: 2021 Vegs 24.1
State: California
THOR #22619
It would be really helpful if the information on everyone's rig included the model year.

Especially with suspension, the 2021 and newer are different than previous models (at least with the Vegas/Axis 24.1

I am trying to figure the things I can do to improve handling, but it seems like the older chassis are different enough that what worked on previous years isn't applicable.

THANKS
Robert
Old 12-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #1906

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Engine access for my Axis

I posted my front cover mod (2018 Axis) in another thread but I thought I'd try posting here too. But to avoid retyping the whole thing, I'll just share the link.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...00&postcount=4

But here's a tease...

Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #1907

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H. View Post
It would be really helpful if the information on everyone's rig included the model year.

Especially with suspension, the 2021 and newer are different than previous models (at least with the Vegas/Axis 24.1

I am trying to figure the things I can do to improve handling, but it seems like the older chassis are different enough that what worked on previous years isn't applicable.

THANKS
Robert
True. In 2018 Thor redesigned the interior, moving the microwave down below the stove and added nice, curved cabinet lids. The curved lids were replaced with flat a few years later but everything else stayed the same. The 2021 model (which is what I have) was the first with the new Ford V8 engine and also an upgraded suspension. That affects things like oil filler and engine fuse box location but the battery location under the passenger dash table stays the same.

My 2021 drives nicely and I don't plan any changes. If yours isn't to your liking, first try an alignment to at least +5 castor on both front wheels.

David
Old 03-21-2022, 12:42 AM   #1908

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Had a little body damage driving across the desert from SoCal to Phoenix in December.
Was driving in the dead of night and ran across a 6’ piece of truck tire tread, laying side to side in the middle of the road. It was sitting about 8” high.

It tore off the entry door trim, and also damaged the lower side extrusion.
Finally, it hit the front passenger side HWH leveler and knocked off a spring.

Bottomline, sourced & replaced the leveler spring in Phx. $40 for a pair (so now I carry a spare).

Then called Amanda @ Lazy Days Elkhart. She quoted me $104 for the entry door trim (I ordered 2). Needed 10 weeks lead time
Also, I ordered 16’ of the lower side extrusion, $70, but I’m still waiting 12 weeks later.

Here’s my before and after of the door trim. You can see the extrusion damage on the right of the door way. Also some damage further back (not shown).

When you do have to replace the door trim you will need a Dremel to do some small cuts to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF89A52A-C77C-4E9D-A383-B6D395C562C2.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	36538   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B7886D6-852A-48B9-B445-3298F5720EBF.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	36540  

Old 03-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #1909

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Solar repair

My inexpensive 30 amp PWM Solar Controller recently went bad after 3+ years of use.
I decided to stay with same brand and model on Amazon.
This time the price was reduced to $11.99 (from $14.99 in 2019)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

My system is now 300 watts (three Renogy 100 watt panels).

Does an excellent job keeping my two FLA batteries charged while running an AIMs 1200 watt inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Travler 2 IMG_7317.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	36545  
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2022, 01:42 AM   #1910

THOR #14401
Hello,
Can you add leveling jacks (after market) to a 2018 Thor Vegas 25.3?
Old 03-23-2022, 01:49 AM   #1911

THOR #14401
Quick question anyone have any recommendations for the best 4/5G wifi for RV?
Old 03-23-2022, 02:08 AM   #1912

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by topd65 View Post
Hello,
You have a similar setup as our previous coach, a 2016 Vegas 25.2. We had Stuart's in Elkhart install HWH leveling jacks. They were auto kick down style. The factory is in Eastern Iowa, and they install, too. There are other installers and other companies, but we had good results with HWH.

Search here, many threads on leveling jacks.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:43 AM   #1913

THOR #14401
Thank you so much Mr. Sunshine��
Old 03-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #1914

Model: 2019 Axis 25.6 "Otto"
State: Michigan
THOR #24224
Quote:
Quick question anyone have any recommendations for the best 4/5G wifi for RV?
Follow this thread… I did… great info:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...nth-29359.html
Old 01-14-2023, 03:40 PM   #1915

State: Kentucky
THOR #25870
i agree with you. have you found a fix for this yet?
Old 01-14-2023, 07:39 PM   #1916

THOR #6582
Quote:
Hello,
I am LESS than thrilled with my Bigfoot levelers. They are nice enough but I still carry blocks to get leveled in a couple of spots. They mount with about 6" of ground clearance (gotta watch for driveways with a steep approach and drop off. My main gripe is very poor troubleshooting assistance from their tech support. Email conversation was useless.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:14 AM   #1917

THOR #26120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
I am LESS than thrilled with my Bigfoot levelers. They are nice enough but I still carry blocks to get leveled in a couple of spots. They mount with about 6" of ground clearance (gotta watch for driveways with a steep approach and drop off. My main gripe is very poor troubleshooting assistance from their tech support. Email conversation was useless.

I'm in a 2018 Axis 25.4 and eyeballing the Bigfoot platinum. Where did you have them installed, if I may ask? Did you go through a local place, or did you contact Quadra directly? Could you use the bolt-on E450 kit, or did you have to get them welded on? Six inches doesn't sound like a whole lot of clearance. (Cue "that's what she said!")

Sorry for all the questions but I've not seen a lot posts about our model and auto levelers and I'm really sick of lego blocks, ramps, and curly-cue anderson levelers. Love to hear your whole experience.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:18 PM   #1918

State: Arizona
THOR #25971
I have a 2017 25.4 and installed the big foot platinum. I installed them myself and used the bolt on kit. no issues with ground clearance and they will not be the lowest points on your rv. I am very happy with them and my setup. Happy to share more details answer questions if you’re interested
Old 01-16-2023, 02:45 AM   #1919

THOR #26120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsav View Post
I have a 2017 25.4 and installed the big foot platinum. I installed them myself and used the bolt on kit. no issues with ground clearance and they will not be the lowest points on your rv. I am very happy with them and my setup. Happy to share more details answer questions if you’re interested

Yeah, I'd really appreciate it, either here or in PM. Does the bolt on kit require any special skills or tools, or is it "Put Tab-A into Slot-A" simple? Can you do the install crawling under the rig or do you need jacks and/or a lift? I'm not even barely competent as a mechanic but can follow instructions. Is this something best left to a professional? I figured the smart move would be to have the kit shipped to a shop somewhere, but if it's something I could do myself, I'd give it a whirl.

What's been your experience with the system? If you had it to do over again, would you do automatic or manual leveling?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2023, 03:33 AM   #1920

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I had Big Foot Platinum installed 2 years ago. Not Axis/Vegas, but same Ford E-Series chassis (Chateau 24F).

My thoughts:
I consider myself decently mechanically capable... installed my own flat towing setup. But I didn't want to mess with hydraulics, AND my preference was having the brackets welded. I drove the 5 hours to Michigan and had them installed... about $3k then.

They DO NOT recommend Snap Pads because of clearance. I carry rubber stall mats I cut into 1-foot squares to place under the feet. A few of these are handy when a little extra lift is needed.

I am extremely happy with them. I have found their customer service to be very helpful. About a month after the install one of the feet would "drift" down very slightly... just enough to release the "jacks down" switch... which tripped the alarm. A call to customer service, and they walked me through a simple "air bleed" procedure. I have had zero issues since.