Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thor could manufacture a lower-cost Axis/Vegas if they wanted, but seem interested in keeping prices higher.
I don't think it's that Thor wants to keep prices high, I think it is more staying competitive and adding newer things. Take firefly for instance, or new tech packages like winegard connect.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #22

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Everyone thinks prices are going to go down. Hold on to your hats because they will not. When has a business ever lowered prices when they were increased for an extended period of time.

Point in case fuel surcharges were allowed when gas was over 4.00 per gallon. Have they gone away since prices decreased, no and nobody questions them.

Don’t hold your breath until prices come down because they aren’t going to.
I disagree with this. The current trend, and you can see this if you watch rvtrader, is a lowering of prices. 6 months ago dealers were charging msrp. No discount whatsoever. Apparently people were desperate enough to pay that. However, now we see discounts being applied. Prices are still inflated, but they are lowering. I give it 6 months before prices return to some normalcy, but they will return there.

What appens next spring is anyone's guess though as prices might increase again for the 2023 MY.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I doubt MSRP will go back down, but discounts should increase as demand slackens.

BTW, really like the new 24.4 floorplan.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
I doubt MSRP will go back down, but discounts should increase as demand slackens.

BTW, really like the new 24.4 floorplan.
Never heard of this new 24.4 floorplan
Old 09-17-2021, 05:07 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Never heard of this new 24.4 floorplan
Go here:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...tml#post314488
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
I don't think it's that Thor wants to keep prices high, I think it is more staying competitive and adding newer things. Take firefly for instance, or new tech packages like winegard connect.

No, of course not; I agree they don’t want to keep prices high as much as keep profits high, which normally go along with higher-priced and loaded vehicles, motorhomes, etc.

My point was that Thor “could” design and build a lower-cost Axis, but the profit/margin would likely be lower, and it would likely also cannibalize some other Axis/Vegas volume at higher profit per motorhome sold.

I agree with others that MSRP for identical units is unlikely to go down, but see manufacturers introducing additional models/floorplans with lower MSRP. When prices get so high that it affects volume, they won’t have much of a choice. We have seen that many times in cases like Winnebago Travato getting so expensive that they introduced a lower-cost option in Solis. And Thor recently did the same within their ProMaster van lines.

Purchasing power is being propped by low interest rates, but if/when they go up, there is going to be a shock wave through RV industry in my opinion.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:11 AM   #27

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
So lets put this to rest 10 Reasons why you shouldn't buy a new RV. I have read that the average RV looses 30% of there value as you drive it off the lot. So , why is the same Class C 22 HEC that i paid 53K in Feb of 2020 now selling for 105K at my local CW?

Also, I closed on my current Class A a few days prior to the current presidential election. Gas was $1.87 a gal. I got a great deal in Nov 2020. I couldn't touch the RV now. So, i will accept a little higher gas price, Cause my RV has appreciated 30K since JB got in office.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:25 AM   #28

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
So lets put this to rest 10 Reasons why you shouldn't buy a new RV. I have read that the average RV looses 30% of there value as you drive it off the lot. So , why is the same Class C 22 HEC that i paid 53K in Feb of 2020 now selling for 105K at my local CW?

Also, I closed on my current Class A a few days prior to the current presidential election. Gas was $1.87 a gal. I got a great deal in Nov 2020. I couldn't touch the RV now. So, i will accept a little higher gas price, Cause my RV has appreciated 30K since JB got in office.
It hasn't really appreciated it's just a paper or electron number until you sell. Then if you still want to RV you have to buy at inflated numbers.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:33 AM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The true value is what the county auditor says it’s worth for taxing.

Anyone in a taxing state had their annual taxes increase rather than decrease?
Old 09-18-2021, 02:48 AM   #30

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
It hasn't really appreciated it's just a paper or electron number until you sell. Then if you still want to RV you have to buy at inflated numbers.
Same for real estate. I feel bad for young buyers trying to "move up". My son was very lucky - bought a nice house right before all the madness. He's seen incredible appreciation of his property... he's sitting pretty with a low interest rate and very affordable mortgage payment.

Luckily we bought our 2020 RV in fall of 2019. At the time, I thought the depreciation was horrible. Now I'm seeing used 2020 models selling for more that I paid for ours NEW. Never thought I'd see that!
Old 09-18-2021, 02:34 PM   #31

THOR #22342
So i sold it for 60K a few months after i purchased it... A NICE 10K RETURN....I guess its just electrons in my bank acct?
Old 09-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #32

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
So i sold it for 60K a few months after i purchased it... A NICE 10K RETURN....I guess its just electrons in my bank acct?
You cashed in those positive electrons nicely. Now you can turn them into a deficit electron, a negative charge with a new one.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #33

THOR #22342
Ha, is that like dont sell your house now... because you have no where to move into? No worries. I purchased a new 2021 THOR... But dare to look at new prices now... I fell sorry for those that didnt buy during the COVID crisis at a discount.

I am holding on this this one. I am using it as a Hurricane Insurance plan for fast departure from HHI.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:36 PM   #34

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Same for real estate. I feel bad for young buyers trying to "move up". My son was very lucky - bought a nice house right before all the madness. He's seen incredible appreciation of his property... he's sitting pretty with a low interest rate and very affordable mortgage payment.

Luckily we bought our 2020 RV in fall of 2019. At the time, I thought the depreciation was horrible. Now I'm seeing used 2020 models selling for more that I paid for ours NEW. Never thought I'd see that!
Enjoy the warm & fuzzy & rich feeling
Your coach will eventually return to a normal depreciated value as fuel prices & interest rates increase.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #35

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Enjoy the warm & fuzzy & rich feeling
Your coach will eventually return to a normal depreciated value as fuel prices & interest rates increase.
In most vehicle transactions the Newton Laws of Motion may not apply. Example, the 3rd law of (paraphrased) equal and opposite reaction is actually an unequal reaction applied to the next purchase. With RVrs the 1st law (again paraphrased of body at rest, stays at rest) doesn't apply because that body at rest develops spontaneous motion to get the next RV. That's when the 3rd law above kicks in.

Don't even get started on the 2nd law.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #36

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
I enjoy that warm & fuzzy (not rich) feeling every time we pull out of the drive at the house in the MH!

I figure we have maybe 10 more good years of RV travels... although NOTHING is guaranteed... thus that warm & fuzzy feeling each time we're fortunate enough to travel!

We've made this motorhome our own... no plans whatsoever for trading. We'll get our use our of it, and the kids can sell it after we're done.

If "rich" is a measure of worldly assets and possessions, we don't qualify. BUT... we certainly have EVERYTHING we need to enjoy the rest of our lives... including the most important... GOOD HEALTH!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #37

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Perhaps useful to remember, if one is planning to purchase a new Axis or Vegas to your specification … rather than “off the lot,” … plan on being able to purchase at around 32% to 34% off MSRP. As “drive away price.”
Requires a little innovative “request for quote” communications, and investment of time chatting to both Thor and Dealers … but quite doable.
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #38

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJames View Post
Perhaps useful to remember, if one is planning to purchase a new Axis or Vegas to your specification … rather than “off the lot,” … plan on being able to purchase at around 32% to 34% off MSRP. As “drive away price.”
Requires a little innovative “request for quote” communications, and investment of time chatting to both Thor and Dealers … but quite doable.
I suppose that's possible but I'd be skeptical if that much discount could be swung. Since the motorized RVs are in limited supply, and order doesn't represent an extra unit a dealer gets but rather taken out of their allocation. As such a dearer is unlikely to cut into his profit margin when he can sell one at much closer to MSRP. If supplies were unlimited then your scenario might work. But supplies are not unlimited right now.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-18-2021, 06:35 PM   #39

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I purchased a new, “well after” end of year model that had sat on dealer’s lot for a very long time.
The result was paying just 59% of sticker price. And I still probably paid too much.

But this was a time when supplies were plentiful & demand was average minus.

That said, I did not get the newest/latest model year with many perceived upgrades.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:50 PM   #40

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
We are all lucky. Our houses are way up. We bought our 2020 vegas 25.6 $84k out the door

We will do what someone here said. Keep it make it our own. Same ..pulling out driveway is a wonderful feeling.

A neighbor saw use pulling out and sent us a text "what a nice rig..are you leaving us again"
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote