Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #41
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Ok....
Do you have one of identical size flying in your front yard?

I never said or meant that this camping world example was such a place (where it is inappropriate).... it might be entirely appropriate there. It seems to be perfectly ok at the CW near me....out by I-95. I don't know the situation at this other place.

All I'm saying is it is theoretically possible that it might not be such a place.

Apparently someone in the town thought so, though...enough for a bunch of people to ok the ordinance.
Don't be so quick to jump to a conclusion about other people, their patriotism, or their intentions.
It might very well be that they are Leftists.
but it's equally as possible that this whole thing is coming from many different other aspects...
and it's equally possible that this is just a situation where an ordinance was written about something else...entirely different, and they just failed to foresee this other situation that they might be totally ok with.

Unintended consequences.
Quote:
well...that's one conclusion to jump to...and if you're correct I'll stand right there next to you in opposition of it.

Isn't it possible though, that this ordinance was written and intended about something else entirely? To limit the size of neon billboard signs that can be installed in residential areas, as an example?
Did you even read the story?

This has been going on in this city for over 4 years:
Quote:
Beginning in 2014, Section 6.07 of the city of Statesville’s Unified Development Code (UDC) had stated that governmental flags (such as the Stars and Stripes) flown outside local businesses could be no larger then 8 feet high and 12 feet wide (96 square feet) and flown on a flagpole no taller than 40 feet.
Quote:
Lemonis emphasized that he and his company respected and would comply with any restrictions on flags and flagpole heights that were aimed at preventing danger to motorists, passersby, or to air traffic, but that no such public safety rationale had been given in the case of Statesville

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 05-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #42

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Yep...I read a good bit about this afternoon. The 3rd side of what every story has. The city in fact did increase the size for him but he wanted bigger. Same attitude he reflects on TV. He's going to pay the fine and keep it up. Expect RV's to cost a little more money going forward...at least from that store. I've wiped my hands clean on this issue. His ego is about as big as his pocketbook!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 05-24-2019, 01:32 AM   #43

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Well...RVers are a huge group and for the most part, an accomplished group, with disposable income to spend on local economies as we travel. Spread the word throughout all of your social media and other forums you tend, to ban this city.

The Mayor and City Manager:
Mayor Costi Kutteh
ckutteh@statesvillenc.net

City Manager Ron Smith
rsmith@statesvillenc.net

Send them a short email stating your opinions and your plan to ban this city if they don't discontinue their attack on CW and our Flag.

Copy & Paste:

"It has come to my attention, the attack you have implemented on Camping World for the size of the United States Flag they fly in honor of this Free Nation and all who have gravely sacrificed their lives for our Freedom. Camping World represents the largest retailer of RV's in this Nation. Most all of their locations fly this same size Flag and it's become a landmark for those who travel and a great tribute to our Country. We The People demand you discontinue your attack on our Nation immediately and "Let Freedom Reign". As you read this, know there are 10's of thousands of citizens in this Country speaking out against your actions with plans to ban any and all future business with your City. You have no right to exploit your elected position for the purpose of promoting your personal Anti-American agenda."
Done and Done
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 AM   #44

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
No one can be denied flying the flag of the United States of America. And NC has a statute to this effect that is cited in every HOA documentation. However, there are multiple Executive Orders dating back to 1959 that help define the appropriate size flag to be flown on a flag pole. The general rule is the length of the flag should be 1/4 the pole height - a 40 foot pole should have a flag that is 10 feet long.

The vets in my community, of which I am one, help homeowners and business’ with the appropriate flag size. It is one thing being patriotic and flying the US flag, it is another thing being respectful of the flag being flown.
great point Jimbo. That speaks directly to the spirit of what I had in mind earlier. I'm disappointed in myself for not remembering that one. Thank you.

There are tons of examples of folks being of very good intention but just not aware of the code...

A few years ago, I spent some time studying the flag code...when my son was in Scouts and I was trying to teach and encourage the boys to do it right. I honestly found it impossible to get them and the other adults some of the basics....like the US flag always travels on its own right. The one about not touching the ground is another one....

Oh, I remember another time, long before that time, mentioning to a park ranger at a state park when he was lowering a flag that was at half mast, that it's supposed to go all the way up before coming down. I think he was actually thankful to learn it.

Oh, and then there's the wearing clothes made from the flag thing....
Old 05-24-2019, 02:05 AM   #45

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Jimbo, side track question...
what is the appropriate size flag for one of those masts meant to mount at an angle out from the house.... something like 5-6 ft long I guess?
I've often wondered if I've been buying the correct replacement size.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:33 AM   #46
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I remembered this from years ago and just re-found the Episode. Is His Goal.... Honor, Advertising, or Marketing? You decide. Very interesting. I LOVE THE FLAGS AND WHAT THEY STAND FOR including my own. but Question "OTHERS" Motives. Watch>>> THE PROFIT Season 2, Ep. 15 Shuler's BBQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	profit flag.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	17606  
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #47

THOR #11130
Well, the city should make an exception...it's the "Flag". But, The Code is the Code. The Flag isn't flapping next to anyone's bedroom window. The pictures online are gorgeous. Many here have pointed out these mega-flags you see all over America along the interstates. If they could just come up with a justifiable reason it should be removed/reduced in size...other than "it doesn't meet Code"...it would be easier to understand. I would be very embarrassed to live in this town or have anything to do with it. As stated here...the law is the law...regardless of how stupid or brainless it is, and regardless of the haters behind it. There is a law still on the books in the City of Stone Mountain, GA, that states, if you're entering the city limits in a horseless carriage, you must stop at the city limits, walk into town and warn everyone you will be driving though, so as to not frighten the horses. This parallels that. Ignorance at it's best!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #48

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole H. View Post
If you don't like a big American flag, you obviously are Un-American. Were you born in the United States? How dare you call the American flag huge and tacky. It's about time American people quit putting up with such nonsense...
You nailed it
Ati American bs needs to stop
Old 05-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #49

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We have a huge issue with illegal invaders taxing our resources and now some folks think that the government should dictate the size of American Flags

I can see the new Flag department being just as effective as Jimmy Carter's energy department was and costing even more
Old 05-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #50

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We have a huge issue with illegal invaders taxing our resources and now some folks think that the government should dictate the size of American Flags

I can see the new Flag department being just as effective as Jimmy Carter's energy department was and costing even more

Yep...us Georgians still hide our face in shame every time someone brings up the subject of "Peanut Butter Brain". Sorry folks for such a waste of government space. We actually fed him for free all those years. What a waste.

Now...we return your thread back to it's original subject!! Save the Flag!!!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #51
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
You nailed it
Ati American bs needs to stop
Guys... Let's pull the rhetoric back on this one... The Moderators are sure to blow the whistle, if things start getting ugly...
Old 05-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #52

THOR #11130
They'll give us a warning first. This is good stuff!!!
Old 05-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #53
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Glad to see CW standing their ground...

North Carolina city files lawsuit against RV company for flying American flag out of city ordinance

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-car...-american-flag
I read the article on this, when it appeared...
you would think...the city would require a permit for an extra large flag pole to begin with...and in that permit would be the parameters for installing same. This is ridiculous !! Our CW has that same flag...however...it is not near the Interstate !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #54

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Quote:
Jimbo, side track question...

what is the appropriate size flag for one of those masts meant to mount at an angle out from the house.... something like 5-6 ft long I guess?

I've often wondered if I've been buying the correct replacement size.

For a 5 foot house mount the flag should be 2.5 by 4 feet
For a 6-8 foot house mount it should be 3 by 5 feet
Old 05-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #55
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Jacksonville, FL had a similar incident a while ago. They had an ordinance limiting the number of flags a business could fly. This business was flying two USA flags, a Jaguars flag, and a flag for each branch of the military. The business received a citation for the flags but what really brought this to light was the unprofessional way the citation was issued and the argument the inspector had with a veteran who was in the business at the time. When the Mayor heard of the incident and citation he recognized the correct answer and said:
Quote:
Withdraw the warning. No citation. Let flags of the military fly
There were also repercussions for the inspector. The business is still flying those flags today.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #56

THOR #11130
The last people you want to mess with in Jacksonville is that bunch of drunk sailors!!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #57

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
this story showed up in my google news feed this morning....
I have mixed feelings.

only because..at least how I'm reading it... this is all about the size of the tacky over sized flag. The town isn't saying they can't fly a flag...I don't thin they can, anyway...
but on the other hand I can understand and agree with the idea of resisting anyone's attempt at restricting patriotism....or being solidly against any sort of anti-US attitudes.

The thing I didn't catch is how big of a flag the town "allows"

Big is one thing...tall is another....but huge and tacky is a whole other issue.

& is the over sized flag causing problems for a neighbor in some way?

maybe they could take it from a 30ft x 60ft (an assumption) to a something like a 20ft x 30ft
Well ya know I think the Statue of Liberty blocks my view of the ocean, maybe we should tear it down. That rediculious Empire State Building is old and out of date lets turn it into public housing. The Grand Canyon is a dangerous fall hazard let's fill it in. People drown in Lake Michigan let's ban swimming. The Whitehouse and the Statehouse are monumental structures wasting tons of real estate let's tear them down and rent trailer offices.

When I see a monumental American Flag I feel warm and proud inside. Reminds me of mom, children playing, baseball, apple pie and serving my country. It reminds me that I am fortunate to live in the greatest country in the world and that I have more freedom than any other people on the planet. It reminds me of my rights including the freedom of expression.

I don't think the giant flag is "tacky" although I would fight for your right to that opinion. Having said that you should know I would fight you harder if you tried to tear it down!

Fight the anti Americans wherever you find them. Call the governor and support the giant flag.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #58

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Great words /\ ,I would be embarrassed driving a Japanese or German vehicle too.My Dad was in WWII.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #59

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
This isn't about Camping World one bit...it's about Liberal, Left Wing attacks on the United States Flag...one of the few symbols we have left that represent our Freedom and honor the lives of those who fought before us. I would feel the same way if it were being flown over Nancy Pelosi's house.
Well said

But Nancy would never fly the flag

We need to take our country back

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #60

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
Great words /\ ,I would be embarrassed driving a Japanese or German vehicle too.My Dad was in WWII.

I used to share the same opinion...but it's a global market now. The days where those cars came over on ships is way behind us. They are built here now with American workers. GM builds more cars in China now than they do in the U.S. We are looking at a new retirement car for the wife...Cadillac or Volvo. Just found out yesterday, Ford Motor Company sold Volvo (who knew Ford owned them to begin with) to a car manufacturer in China (Geely) nine years ago. Chrysler products are now owned by Fiat (FCA). The best tractors in the world come from Japan...BUT...most are now built (assembled) for this market in the U.S. The Taliban drive Chevy pickups. Weird World we live in but it's now a global market for everything. Six major "import" auto manufacturers have huge assembly plants within 250 miles of my home in Atlanta. Again, they employ 10's of thousands of local workers. Trump's MAGA hats are Made in China (that's OK, he's earned the right to make a mistake) Things have changed.
Closed Thread