Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Sources for rare earths are being found all over the place (notably off the coast of Japan and elsewhere).

In addition to that rare earths are being designed out of EVs (at least Tesla is doing its best to minize their use).
I don't totally disagree with you but your looking ahead on maybe what might become, not the reality of today

There is now technology today that is available that doesn't use rare earth elements

That is what we need and sooner the better

China is firmly in the drivers seat and don't plan on giving it up

Tesla happens to be one of the largest if not the largest consumer of rare earth elements due to the amount of batteries they produce although there are several other large factories cranking them out as well

Old 12-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #42
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
I don't totally disagree with you but your looking ahead on maybe what might become, not the reality of today

There is now technology today that is available that doesn't use rare earth elements

That is what we need and sooner the better

China is firmly in the drivers seat and don't plan on giving it up

Tesla happens to be one of the largest if not the largest consumer of rare earth elements due to the amount of batteries they produce although there are several other large factories cranking them out as well
Indeed, however the EV industry is innovating and changing at a furious clip. Just look at how fast battery costs have fallen--much faster than predicted. OEM's have to have an eye on the road ahead least they fall behind.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #43

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Indeed, however the EV industry is innovating and changing at a furious clip. Just look at how fast battery costs have fallen--much faster than predicted. OEM's have to have an eye on the road ahead least they fall behind.
Well we agree and that is a good thing that we are improving. We need something as significant as LED versus incandescent to really get the motord turning

We just gave the industry another 35 BILLION dollars in the new CV package so that should keep a few of them in money for quite awhile
Old 12-23-2020, 03:21 AM   #44

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
I didn't read all of the replies, but does it come with a 8KW generator to keep the batteries charged?
Old 12-24-2020, 12:11 AM   #45
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
First H2. Has the problem of many times the energy to make a H2 cell vs the power out of it been solved yet? When it happens, then H2 will emerge.

Second, we had rare earth mines in the US. The with the EPA under several administrations they were ether shut down or allowed to be purchased by China. China shut them down. The last one in 2015 was sending the ore to China for processing. Then they had to file for bankruptcy. There is one now in Colorado that is the largest in the western hemisphere. We could have had many, except we were sold out to and made dependent on China for quite a few years by our government.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:59 AM   #46

Model: Axis 25.2 - E-450
State: Virginia
THOR #5259
An all-electric RV is the answer to a question that no one has asked, serviced by a company that no one in their right mind would use.
You might call that a lose, lose.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #47
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
But it's fun to try and figure out what "the next big thing" will be like...
Old 12-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #48

State: Georgia
THOR #16797
I like my Gas (or diesel) - I like my Electric and I like my Propane - period - gives me lots of choices no matter where I'm at.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #49

State: Texas
THOR #2121
At present state of technology, give me gas engine for range and all-electric house for simplicity.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #50

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #3182
My Diesel RV is basically a rolling emission control factory on wheels that just happens to push the thing down the road.
I don't care to even count how many sensors and bells and gizmos it has on it to try and fool all of the emission control tests. Not to mention in order to get around all those tests it requires you to pour some other magic juice into a tank and mix with the exhaust to produce...... lord knows what? Somehow the manufactures have managed to sell us this crap.
Nothing that comes out of diesel exhaust is ever going to be considered safe to breathe.

I don't know if we're yet at a point that we can rely on batteries to fully power a motorhome but I do have doubts that the two companies in this story are the ones to get us there. I might tend to believe it more if either of them were companies who had some skins on the battery technology wall.

This is like all the car makers competing with Tesla right now who in just another 2 years should have a car available..... just wait.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #51

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I wonder if the marriage between Lordstown Motors and CW will still give the CW members a discount?

Paul
Old 12-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Well... I sure like the looks of their truck.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #53
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
My Diesel RV is basically a rolling emission control factory on wheels that just happens to push the thing down the road.
I don't care to even count how many sensors and bells and gizmos it has on it to try and fool all of the emission control tests. Not to mention in order to get around all those tests it requires you to pour some other magic juice into a tank and mix with the exhaust to produce...... lord knows what? Somehow the manufactures have managed to sell us this crap.
Nothing that comes out of diesel exhaust is ever going to be considered safe to breathe.

I don't know if we're yet at a point that we can rely on batteries to fully power a motorhome but I do have doubts that the two companies in this story are the ones to get us there. I might tend to believe it more if either of them were companies who had some skins on the battery technology wall.

This is like all the car makers competing with Tesla right now who in just another 2 years should have a car available..... just wait.
Um my model Y competitor has been built and just waiting for it to show up at my dealer (ETA is late Jan early Feb).

By all accounts (and the many many many reviews) it is a very competent (and Fun) vehicle. Just keep it away from the Mustang crowd as they are very hurt that Ford decided to call it a Mustang.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do you mean that new "Mock-E"?
Jk...
Old 12-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #55

THOR #2121
Quote:
Um my model Y competitor has been built and just waiting for it to show up at my dealer (ETA is late Jan early Feb).

By all accounts (and the many many many reviews) it is a very competent (and Fun) vehicle. Just keep it away from the Mustang crowd as they are very hurt that Ford decided to call it a Mustang.

As the owner of a classic Mach1, I don’t have an issue with there being an electric Mustang, but I have to admit that calling a 4-door SUV a Mustang seems extremely moronic to me. Inexplicable. I see no rational explanation other than short-term leverage of an iconic brand name to gain additional acceptance. It’s so short sighted it smells of desperation. If the car is that good that buyers are going to want it anyway, then call it Maverick or some other name that doesn’t involve using the same “Mustang” name for a true sports car and an SUV that are completely different.

I may be completely wrong, but in a few years marketing experts may be comparing this to New Coke blunder.

Again, nothing against an electric Mustang, just how short sighted American businesses have become. I’m not hurt by this, more like confused.

Rant over
Old 12-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #56

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I have to agree that it shouldn't be called a Mustang. I'd still love to have one though!!
Old 12-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. How about Pinto?
Old 12-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #58
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
As the owner of a classic Mach1, I don’t have an issue with there being an electric Mustang, but I have to admit that calling a 4-door SUV a Mustang seems extremely moronic to me. Inexplicable. I see no rational explanation other than short-term leverage of an iconic brand name to gain additional acceptance. It’s so short sighted it smells of desperation. If the car is that good that buyers are going to want it anyway, then call it Maverick or some other name that doesn’t involve using the same “Mustang” name for a true sports car and an SUV that are completely different.

I may be completely wrong, but in a few years marketing experts may be comparing this to New Coke blunder.

Again, nothing against an electric Mustang, just how short sighted American businesses have become. I’m not hurt by this, more like confused.

Rant over
LOL I understand (I usually refer to it only as Mach-E but I know people in the forms insist on spelling it out). That does seem to be the big beef everyone has is that its a 4-door SUV (CUV more like it due to size); they don't mind it being electric. Even Bill Ford was quite dubious about it and wanted to ride in a prototype before he would officially bless it as a Mustang (of course he has at least one in his stable of cars--I think he mentioned he had a GT350 or something).

I don't think its desperation actually; it strikes me as kind of genius: They certainly got people talking about it. Of course, however, if they are going to slap "Mustang" on it, it will have to behave like a Mustang.

I doubt it will go down as a blunder like new Coke: Ford planned on making 50,000 of them for the first model year (split between North America and Europe). Ford insiders revealed that they had orders for 80,000 at least by the time they opened up the books in June to allow people to order them. If you haven't pre-ordered one good luck finding one until 2022.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #59

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You said you own an older, maybe very older, mustang.
Do you own a newer one?
If not, Why not?
Did the 'new pinto' fox body mustangll seem wrong also?

Ford only cares about new buyers.
Maybe the pony car legacy has ran its course as did the camaro before they revived it.

Maybe it's time to grasp the recognized name and put it on something someone besides rental car agency companies want to own.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #60

THOR #2121
Back to electric motorhome: What’s still not being addressed is that all of these electric prototypes are completely different than the typical 30-plus-foot rig with 4 slides, 12 feet tall and weigh 20,000 pounds that buyers seem to prefer.

If buyers are willing to accept these small, simple, and light electric motorhomes, then why not build similar units with gas power and cut fuel consumption in half? That could be done immediately and at lower cost. Whether trying to save fuel costs or the environment, downsizing is easiest and most cost effective.

Electric or no electric, it’s going to be a tough challenge until buyers change RV expectations. I don’t see 40-foot electric Class As in my lifetime, and buyers remain slow at accepting very small motorhomes that make electric somewhat viable.

In my opinion acceptance and change will start with OEM electric van campers. That seems the most logical first mass -produced electric motorhome, although hybrid will likely precede all battery electric motorhomes.