Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I like the looks of South Dakota also...

... if it was just further South!

Old 12-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
P.S. I am not asking for a loophole advise. Just want to know if there is a legitimate/legal way to purchase an out of state property, and register our RV in that State. NV is my home state where we live and work.
If you are in the military, you can choose which state is you home with in limits. I entered the service from NC, I moved my residence to CA when I was station there, but I took delivery of two cars in NV as there was no sales tax there at that time. I maintained my residence in CA until I retired (military stationed outside the CA do not pay income tax). My CA driver's license was good until I was stationed again in CA. I retired with a 26 year old driver's license which was still good.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:38 PM   #23

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I own property in several different states and register the Tuscany in KS as it is taxed and tagged based on GVW, not by value as in MO where we have our listed address. We also get mail in KS so it works for us. The difference is about 3000 bucks per year on a large class A.

My insurance carrier doesn't care about the drivers license state, just the driving record
Old 12-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
New York State also bases registration fees on weight: not value.
Too bad that they found so many other ways to pick your pocket.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:42 AM   #25

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Hampshire
THOR #21604
New Hampshire lic includes personnel property tax based upon the units age and MRSP. New units are taxed 18/1000. Each following year decreases 3 dollars, until you reach a final price of 3/1000. NH is not a good place to lic a new unit. So if your unit is brand new and MSRP is 100,000; your tax the first year would be 18x100 = 1800.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:15 AM   #26

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #21314
We bought a used 2019 Windsport 29M from a private owner this summer. Saving 8.1% tax. We live in Arizona and the tax is 8.1 plus we have state tax each year to file. The motorhome cost $80,000 but the motor vehicle department go by srp which was $116,00. Cost us $2000.00 for the year. It will go down a little each year. Yes it's to risky to try, we have 10 days in Arizona to change your address when moving here permanently.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #27

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
P.S. I am not asking for a loophole advise. Just want to know if there is a legitimate/legal way to purchase an out of state property, and register our RV in that State. NV is my home state where we live and work.
There was another post about this recently.....

Most states (but not all) require you to be a resident of their state with their drivers license in order to register a vehicle.

Most insurance companies also require a vehicle to be registered and insured in the state in which it is primarily stored.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #28

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Bob

Both NY and Ca are pretty good at getting the last few dollars from people every year.

Paul
Old 12-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi Bob

Both NY and Ca are pretty good at getting the last few dollars from people every year.

Paul
Could be why there is a mass exodus of companies and rich people from both states, including Oracle and Elon Musk from California recently.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #30

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
I believe it’s the “51%” rule
In the case of dual residences...Your story is that you spend 51% of your time in the state you are claiming residency

Plus, everything else stated above regarding drivers license and vehicle registration in the state you are claiming primary citizenship.

****And finally, under penalty of Felony...you can only vote in your primary state!
Old 12-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #31

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Quote:
Most insurance companies also require a vehicle to be registered and insured in the state in which it is primarily stored.
That is true. Not to hijack the thread but it is somewhat relevant. I lived in Louisiana but worked and stayed most of the time in Houston for 8 years. My auto insurance carrier "Progressive" would not insure the vehicle that I kept and used in Houston. The vehicle was registered and licensed in Louisiana. I had to purchase auto insurance in Tx for that vehicle.
It got confusing but I had a buddy in Houston that was a insurance agent and he was able to get me a policy with Allstate. Sounds stupid but that's how it works.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #32

THOR #13362
Here’s the issue...
You get a ticket
The cop usually asks if the address is current on your license.
If it’s out of state, the cop may ask you questions about how long you’re staying in this state
Then, they mail the warrant to your home address in the other state.

You gotta think two-steps ahead if you’re trying to “con” the system.
And, it’s a lot of work and stress to game the system.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi Bob
Paul

Please excuse any partisan message: it's the "throw the bums out" part that I'm looking to convey...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #34

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
That is true. Not to hijack the thread but it is somewhat relevant. I lived in Louisiana but worked and stayed most of the time in Houston for 8 years. My auto insurance carrier "Progressive" would not insure the vehicle that I kept and used in Houston. The vehicle was registered and licensed in Louisiana. I had to purchase auto insurance in Tx for that vehicle.
It got confusing but I had a buddy in Houston that was a insurance agent and he was able to get me a policy with Allstate. Sounds stupid but that's how it works.

That is not true across the board. Plenty of Insurance Agents chimed in on the other thread and they said most insurance companies and definitely most agents (because they are only licensed in specific states).

I'll give you an example. I have an insurance agent in PA I use for my rental property and some other items but he cannot sell me or write me a policy or my home, car or motorcycle in FL... even with Progressive who covers both states. I have to purchase insurance from a licensed agent in FL and my car and motorcycle must be registered in FL... even though I have a Progressive Policy in PA and one in FL.

My FL agent will also not insure / write a policy for my wife PA registered vehicle. She has a property in PA and a PA drivers License while FL is my residence and I have a FL license.

They also ask you where the vehicle will primarily be garaged / stored as part of this process.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #35

THOR #13362
All of that said...
If you are active Military you fall into a different category.
I live by a marine base. There are lots and lots of out of state plates from active military in and around my town.
Military gets a special exception vs civilians.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #36

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Could be why there is a mass exodus of companies and rich people from both states, including Oracle and Elon Musk from California recently.
So far the companies leaving are the legacy companies that no longer innovate: HP and Oracle. Elon Musk isn't leaving - his existing CA facilities are continuing to operate in CA - but is choosing to expand in other states. Given the relatively high cost of living and labor-intensive nature of car manufacturing, CA has always struck me as a strange place to build a car factory.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #37
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
So far the companies leaving are the legacy companies that no longer innovate: HP and Oracle. Elon Musk isn't leaving - his existing CA facilities are continuing to operate in CA - but is choosing to expand in other states. Given the relatively high cost of living and labor-intensive nature of car manufacturing, CA has always struck me as a strange place to build a car factory.
He's already left. Nobody said anything about Tesla leaving (yet, Elon has threatened to move the company out of state).

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #38

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
He's already left. Nobody said anything about Tesla leaving (yet, Elon has threatened to move the company out of state).
I will add:

Someone's excuse/wish about a company not being innovative isn't anywhere near the point.

The point is employment and the trickle down.
A VACUUM being left as they leave.
The idea of them leaving.

A short story, the shortest I can write for this situation:

A solitary wildebeest turned to look at the river and took but one step...250,000 years ago...a 'new' innovation in herd mentality.

Punchline:
Migration is the new innovation and oracle and hp are at the head of the herd.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got to agree: they move because the business climate is better elsewhere...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #40

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I thought California was bad on vehicle tags but looks like Nevada is worse, my tags would be around $650.00 a year but I get free tags from the state for being a disabled vet, I only get it on one vehicle so I pick the most expensive one, California will also give you about a 78% discount on property tax with a vet disability, California has a law to turn in cheaters, any one moving into the state has I believe 10 or 20 day to re register when you move, people are being asked to turn in people who have recently moved to the state and not registered, they have a hot line with either the California Highway Patrol or the Department of Motor Vehicles, with the virus going and choking off tax money to all the states you can bet they will be closing every loop hole they can find and raising the fines to keep their pockets full of your tax money