Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,005
THOR #4687
See if anyone thinks this is a useful idea

I am.thinking it might be good to have voltage readouts on the dash of our VEGAS one for the chassis batteries and the other for the coach batteries


I thought before I tackled it I would see if anyone else thought it would be useful, or if it was a completely lame idea.
__________________

__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
schreinertms's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 410
THOR #4486
Good idea. I went as far as buying a digital gauge on Amazon but have not installed it yet. Probably start with the chassis battery since the inverter display in my coach displays house battery voltage.
__________________

__________________
Tom and Lisa
Pennsylvania
2015 Challenger 37TB
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,960
THOR #1150
If you have a Cigarette Lighter plug on the dash something like this can plug in there for only $6 and measure the voltage. Granted that is only 1 system, but it does get you 1/2 way there.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
schreinertms's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 410
THOR #4486
Also a good idea but I need both 12 volt outlets, had to add a second as only came with one at the dash, one for TPMS and one for GPS. I could add another 12 volt at the dash for this plug in meter.
__________________
Tom and Lisa
Pennsylvania
2015 Challenger 37TB
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 1,985
THOR #908
I'm not sure I would personally find it all that useful. This is one area where I think the little KIB light panel is somewhat useful....the little 1/3, 2/3 lights that show the battery and tank levels. Just a quick dirt simple way to tell if the house battery is nearly full or not. For the chassis battery.... in 35 years of driving I've never really found that I need to know the exact voltage to the single digit or tenth....


well you know, as I type this and think it through a bit more, I'm almost inclined to change my answer. A simple dual display might have helped me to see that my BIRD relay had failed before the dead house battery clued me into it.
__________________
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,005
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you have a Cigarette Lighter plug on the dash something like this can plug in there for only $6 and measure the voltage. Granted that is only 1 system, but it does get you 1/2 way there.
Good idea, already got one with USB ports. But, was thinking that having both chassis and coach indicators on the dash might be handy.
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,005
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'm not sure I would personally find it all that useful. This is one area where I think the little KIB light panel is somewhat useful....the little 1/3, 2/3 lights that show the battery and tank levels. Just a quick dirt simple way to tell if the house battery is nearly full or not. For the chassis battery.... in 35 years of driving I've never really found that I need to know the exact voltage to the single digit or tenth....


well you know, as I type this and think it through a bit more, I'm almost inclined to change my answer. A simple dual display might have helped me to see that my BIRD relay had failed before the dead house battery clued me into it.
That's kind of the reason I was thinking about it. It would be nice to make sure that everything is charging and not getting below voltage so I could start the Genny if I needed to before it was too late
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,357
THOR #3483
Voltage

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Hughe...-p/dvm1221.htm


I plugged one of these in next to the door of our Axis. I like to know how things are going. It notes that voltage under 108 could cause harm to the AC unit.
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,005
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Hughe...-p/dvm1221.htm


I plugged one of these in next to the door of our Axis. I like to know how things are going. It notes that voltage under 108 could cause harm to the AC unit.
Great idea. I had been concentrating on the 12v hadn't thought too much about the 120V
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
TyCreek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
Posts: 532
THOR #1944
The dash area is a great location to observe coach battery level. Never felt the need for chassis battery gauge.
__________________
Axis 24.2 "was" tug'n a JK
TyCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,005
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
The dash area is a great location to observe coach battery level. Never felt the need for chassis battery gauge.
Nice setup..
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:45 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
State: Alaska
Posts: 295
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'm not sure I would personally find it all that useful. This is one area where I think the little KIB light panel is somewhat useful....the little 1/3, 2/3 lights that show the battery and tank levels. Just a quick dirt simple way to tell if the house battery is nearly full or not. For the chassis battery.... in 35 years of driving I've never really found that I need to know the exact voltage to the single digit or tenth....





well you know, as I type this and think it through a bit more, I'm almost inclined to change my answer. A simple dual display might have helped me to see that my BIRD relay had failed before the dead house battery clued me into it.


Quit worrying about it. You can't monitor everything. Soon it will be all you do is worry about too many things. Just relax and enjoy.
__________________
carlgorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
glamperjan's Avatar
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 135
THOR #7430
I wish I would have had this on my house battery it is on store and it still dies every time I go to start the generator. Have had to jump it twice. Dealer said it's not the battery it said even though you have a use store battery switch we still need to install a complete disconnect. What could be drawing on this house battery? Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's a 2017 Thor chateau
__________________
glamperjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,213
THOR #8860
I've got a coach battery display neatly tucked-in by the doorsteps.
I'm not sure if one for the chassis is completely necessary...
But it might be nice!
I can bring the coach batteries in to help with starting chores, so I guess that there's a pretty good "Plan B" already set up.
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Marc's Avatar
 
State: Florida
Posts: 23
THOR #7425
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
I wish I would have had this on my house battery it is on store and it still dies every time I go to start the generator. Have had to jump it twice. Dealer said it's not the battery it said even though you have a use store battery switch we still need to install a complete disconnect. What could be drawing on this house battery? Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's a 2017 Thor chateau


Make sure storage switch in store & ALL basement lights are off, etc.
__________________
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
State: Texas
Posts: 1,195
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've got a coach battery display neatly tucked-in by the doorsteps.
I'm not sure if one for the chassis is completely necessary...
But it might be nice!
I can bring the coach batteries in to help with starting chores, so I guess that there's a pretty good "Plan B" already set up.
Your CO/LP monitor is always on, radios with clocks, any illuminated light switches. The only sure way is to disconnect batteries.
Also as previously stated, I don't need more monitors to have to be concerned about, there's enough to keep up with now.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold our '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,213
THOR #8860
I didn't know that... Thanks!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
Posts: 911
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Also a good idea but I need both 12 volt outlets, had to add a second as only came with one at the dash, one for TPMS and one for GPS. I could add another 12 volt at the dash for this plug in meter.
I installed a 1->3 socket extender on the engine cover with velcro. (I also have two desk organizer boxes on either side). The bonus is that the 12V plug also has a USB charger in it.. So now I have 4 plugs up front.
__________________
Added: HWH Kick-Down Leveler; RoadMaster Anti-sway bars; Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser; Accede Backup Sensor Kit; cylinder locks (w/one combo lock); custom sink cover; Kenwood DDX 5706S front radio; Pioneer MVH-X5560BT rear radio; Oxygenics Shower head; ScanGuage II; Blue Ox Tow Bar w/RVi Brake 2; Winegard Rayzar Automatic TV antenna; Trimark Steel door lock; Dometic 310 toilet; whatever is next.
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
lazinskm's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
Posts: 401
THOR #5725
This looks great- will pick one up. I am correct in the assumption that the 12v at the dash are run by the coach batteries, correct?
__________________
lazinskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
glamperjan's Avatar
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 135
THOR #7430
I don't believe so. Thor Tech told me that the 12-volt on the desk are run off the truck battery and the engine had to be running
__________________

__________________
glamperjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×