Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 02:37 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #28631
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I strongly disagree with hooves. Yes take it in to get the issues documented but do NOT leave it with them.

DON'T start talking legal action yet, that shuts down any help.
Chunker21 makes some good points here, particularly the last line stating not to bring up anything legal yet. Still no need for that, IMHO. However, the reason I suggested leaving it at the service center while they work out the resolution with Thor is precisely to protect yourself in case that ever becomes necessary.

Depending on the state that would have jurisdiction if you ever have a long-term problem, it typically takes 3 or four service attempts, and/or 30 or 40 or more days in service to have any recourse, should you ever need that option. Waiting to get into service doesn't count towards either requirement. It is in Thor's best interest for it to sit in your driveway and/or for you to use it until all the terms of the warranty expire.

If the problem will be resolved, the time or number of attempts won't matter. However, if Thor and the dealer can't agree on a satisfactory way to resolve the problem, having it sit in your driveway is just a waste of your time while the clock runs out. If it has met your state's requirement for service, however, a certified letter now forces it to be Thor's and/or your dealer's problem to resolve within a certain timeframe.

Chunker21 states some very compelling reasons not to leave it at the dealer. No arguments from me. If you suspect you are getting the run around, though, as you mentioned in your first comment, you may need to start the clock as an official service stop and/or attempt, which is why I answered it the way that I did.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:17 PM   #62

THOR #28631
Missing the travel

My kids told me again yesterday how much they miss traveling in the RV. After primarily avoiding winter altogether in late 2021/early 2022, I think they are tired of winter over the last four months or so. (My oldest wants to go back to California for the next trip, while my youngest wants to drive all the way to Florida again.)

I certainly don't blame them. I miss the RV as well. Since Thor picked up the coach in August and then returned it unusable at the beginning of January, we're talking about an awful long time being completely out of service.

The good news is that I'm hopeful Thor is finally making strides in doing what is right. Thor hasn't done anything to earn my optimism yet, but through my lawyer, they've requested to set up their own inspection next week. (Still too bad they simply never allowed a proper inspection during the four months they had it.) I can only presume this inspection is to corroborate the inspection reports I paid for when the coach was returned to me.

Once verified, though, they'll surely make things right finally... correct? For the time being, I'm choosing to be optimistic, and will presume that they don't want to simply poke the bear again.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:40 PM   #63

Model: Palazzo
State: Oklahoma
THOR #28997
Greetings Hoovis, so far I have every reason to be optimistic. I personally drove my 2023 Palazzo to Thor (last week of March) to have warranty repairs done and felt comfortable knowing that they were going to repair the issues. They’ve also been in touch with me since I dropped it off. I’m a new Rv’r with no “Travel Vacation Camping” and have owned my Rv less than a year. So right now I pray that my future RV experiences are without any issues.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:36 PM   #64

THOR #28631
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurposeRv View Post
Greetings Hoovis, so far I have every reason to be optimistic. I personally drove my 2023 Palazzo to Thor (last week of March) to have warranty repairs done and felt comfortable knowing that they were going to repair the issues. They’ve also been in touch with me since I dropped it off. I’m a new Rv’r with no “Travel Vacation Camping” and have owned my Rv less than a year. So right now I pray that my future RV experiences are without any issues.
So glad to hear that, PurposeRv! I was just thinking about you and hoping your experience was far better than the treatment I've received. Truly happy to hear it! Thanks for the update, as I was literally about to search the forum in hopes that you were being helped in a timely manner.

You say that "I pray that my future RV experiences are without any issues." Haha. That isn't going to happen. However, I wish you well in hoping that any issues that do come up are at least solvable. The more I've read and thought about my electrical issues, I'm convinced that the treatment I'm receiving is likely due to them being unsolvable. (At least economically.) Why else did Thor voluntarily replace my flooring, if not to access all the wiring? Why else did Thor refrain from telling their inspector why my coach was there in the first place, if not to keep him from knowing what to inspect? Why else was my coach shipped back to me without letting the inspector back in, when he requested to see it again after I notified him why it was there in the first place?

The technicians that I hired indicate irregular voltage readings that have most likely compromised the entire electrical system. They believe this is why so many electrical components have failed (some repeatedly). Even if the root cause of the problem was identified (perhaps a bad ground or a short somewhere), every electrical component would likely need to be replaced to ensure it isn't already compromised and prone to failure. It is just a guess, but I suspect they know that they'd need to disassemble and completely rebuild the entire motorhome to replace all the wiring and electrical components.

Sure, I could be completely incorrect about all of that. It would explain everything, though, if true (and certainly far better than a simple software update).

Regardless, I'm thrilled for you that you had a pleasant experience. Obviously, it would be ideal if there weren't any problems at all for you, but being treated fairly and in a timely manner is the next best thing. So glad to read your update. It makes me hopeful that sometime soon, just maybe, Thor will decide to do the same for me.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:55 AM   #65

THOR #28631
Happy for everyone else that this isn't common

I suppose this thread is long dead by now, and nobody cares to hear me type to myself. If I'm incorrect, just let me know somehow. Without response, I'll say in closing the latest update:

Thor paid an employee to fly out and check out my coach a few weeks ago. In short, he corroborated that the coach had electrical issues where the keypad was nearly unreadable, and the communications of the electrical system were faulty enough that he didn't even want to try to test the slide outs, in case they wouldn't go back in. Basically, he said he was seeing problems with the keypad and/or electrical system that would explain everything I've witnessed and experienced since ownership. In Thor's defense, to be fair, not all things I had indicated were witnessed as a problem at his inspection. At the time he was there, the rear-view camera was working just fine when he looked at it, but there were many other electrical issues that were obvious and present at the time. Not everything I have complained about was present that day, but the indication of faulty electrical communications was enough to show that any malfunctions were explained, at a minimum, by the faulty keypad and/or motherboard.

On a side note, totally unrelated to the electrical issue... the keypad is now nearly unreadable. So much so that Thor's own inspector accidentally hit the water pump "button." If he hadn't touched that, we wouldn't have known that the winterization was done incorrectly in Indiana. Apparently, according to Thor's own inspector, the line to the fridge must have burst and was the cause of the gushing water. Fortunately, I have timestamped evidence to show the freshwater tanks were over half full when it was delivered to me Jan 2nd (Thor made a claim that I added the water, even though it remains unusable)... and Thor's own inspector indicated that accessing the fridge to fix this is a monumental task... so the problems just get worse. Not only were the electrical issues not resolved, there is now a water leak issue from the fridge due to the winterization not being done properly in Indiana. It truly sounds unbelievable, doesn't it? If I wasn't living it, I'd think this is all pure fiction.

Today marks one year of the coach being completely unusable (if you exclude the three weeks I needed to drive it back from the east coast without a dashboard, since nowhere would provide service to fix that... after the VA Authorized Service Center became the 6th service stop that was unable to rectify the the ongoing electrical problems).

I'm not trying to make this a Thor bashing thread. That was never the intent. I'd much prefer to get back on the "I love Thor" team. But I'm far from that presently and sharing the story while I can. Some others will see this in time, and it will prove useful, which is the best I can hope for.

In the meantime, I'm still stuck with the world's largest paperweight. I cant use it and I can't sell it. I was promised an extended warranty by Thor (as well as a fix), but neither ever happened or were provided. Thor is still "strong-arming" me, by never giving me a single thing they offered me last August. Not one thing they assured me would happen has happened. None. Zero!

I can't show a Thor e-mail to a service center (look at this email, I'm supposed to have a warranty!)... and NONE of the four things Thor assured me of were ever done. I'm requesting that Thor just replace the coach at this point, but they still want to dismiss me (their most recent offer was worse than their offer back in November, when the assumption was still that the coach was fixed -- and now their own inspector corroborated it is still unusable -- so their offer goes *down* for me? That is laughable).

I'm truly happy to hear (for all of you) that my situation is unique. So glad that most of you were treated well. I wish I had that treatment, but I guess I'm unfortunate. Should anyone have a problem in the future that my unfortunate experience can be of benefit, I'll do what I can to help. I'm not a lawyer, but I feel I know a ton of info about it now, so reach out sooner rather than later if you have a problem.

I truly hope anyone reading this far is simply an insomniac. If you are reading this far because you have an issue, please PM me. It has been a nightmare. Appreciate you all! All that said, I'd like to help if you need it.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:55 AM   #66

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #22781
Thanks for the update a sad commentary on the lack of customer service.

Stay strong and objective.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:56 AM   #67

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovis View Post
I suppose this thread is long dead by now, and nobody cares to hear me type to myself. If I'm incorrect, just let me know somehow. Without response, I'll say in closing the latest update:
te you all! All that said, I'd like to help if you need it.
No the thread isn't dead since the issue hasn't been resolved. Your experience isn't the norm for thor ownership but you are not the only one who has had a horrible piece of junk that thor just ignored and hoped would go away. Most thor owners are not forum participants so the public at large doesn't hear of others with similar problems of an unusable RV. In some cases where an owner has a literal POS junk they have just dumped it, taken somewhat of a loss and got something else. That's what I did and if you go back in discussions about the omni/magnitude line, several others did.

I hope your attorney is a cut throat type who will go after thor with the intention to make them bleed. Bleed $$$$ and satisfaction to you and with the ugly description during any proceedings, thor bleeds customers.

The bad condition of your RV again isn't normal, but not surprising. It's the result of absolutely no meaningful QA and total lack of any QC. The inconsistent building quality has led to a "perfect storm" of incompetence with your RV and they want to just ignore it. That is very telling about a companies "morals" and in this case, total lack of them.

Me I'm obviously in the don't like thor column and will never own another RV made by them. Too many choices to make without buying from a shyster company. There are others who have had good experiences with thor because they got lucky and any issues are very minor. Course a year later the warranty is expired and they are on their own.

I wish you and your attorney the best and yes, keep the group posted on events.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 05-07-2023, 01:21 PM   #68

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovis View Post
No the thread isn't dead. When I ran into a problem that no one could/would fix I would think of your travails. I had hoped that no news was good news.

I have come to the conclusion that RV systems are too complicated for the capabilities of the workers that the manufacturers and dealers hire. In addition I don't think that the Thor engineers know exactly how to design the systems, otherwise they would have proper drawings. See https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/ford...am-497210.html for an example of a proper electrical wiring diagram for a vehicle. This is from Ford. If the vehicle manufacturers had electrical drawings comparable to Thor, there would hardly be a vehicle left on the road.

When you finally come to a resolution; good, bad, or indifferent, please post it to the Forum. We are interested and it will help others. If you don't have a successful resolution and you are willing to let someone outside of Thor touch the vehicle, perhaps one of the Forum members in the area can stop by to help.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:01 PM   #69

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post
No the thread isn't dead. When I ran into a problem that no one could/would fix I would think of your travails. I had hoped that no news was good news.

I have come to the conclusion that RV systems are too complicated for the capabilities of the workers that the manufacturers and dealers hire. In addition I don't think that the Thor engineers know exactly how to design the systems, otherwise they would have proper drawings. See https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/ford...am-497210.html for an example of a proper electrical wiring diagram for a vehicle. This is from Ford. If the vehicle manufacturers had electrical drawings comparable to Thor, there would hardly be a vehicle left on the road.

When you finally come to a resolution; good, bad, or indifferent, please post it to the Forum. We are interested and it will help others. If you don't have a successful resolution and you are willing to let someone outside of Thor touch the vehicle, perhaps one of the Forum members in the area can stop by to help.

Good luck.
The Ford wiring diagram is an example of good QA, Quality Assurance. Simply stated a plan that the manufacturer follows for EVERY vehicle. Not having the product come out depending on who shows up that day. The wiring, propane line routing, and most every other component is made mostly haphazard with thor and they don't care or have any intention to change. When a glaring fault becomes well known in a model, just discontinue, make slight changes, rename, and let marketing make up a lie about "quality". The thor mantra.

But as long as the uninformed buy into it, literally, nothing changes cause they still get their paycheck.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 05-07-2023, 02:57 PM   #70
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Community rules

Customer Disputes: This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community.

Thread has becoming a bashing and venting thread and is now closed.