Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2021, 07:47 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps I should clarify...

We custom-ordered our rig based off of the available options and furnishings that Tiffin offers.
We did not buy one, "off the lot".
We ordered the Equalizer levelers, the 15K BTU A/C with a heat pump, The Entertainment system in place of the overhead bunk, an exterior TV, a GPS system, and the Truma hot water system.
As a rig being built to our specifications: Tiffin sent us pictures of it during the build process...
What if I told you the RV's on the lot were custom ordered too? They were, built to the dealers specific options selected.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They weren't built to the customer's specifications.
You took whatever they happened to order...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
What if I told you the RV's on the lot were custom ordered too? They were, built to the dealers specific options selected.
Of course they were, but not with the specific options that I wanted or didn't want.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do you think that we're just being too fussy?
Old 05-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Of course they were, but not with the specific options that I wanted or didn't want.

You use the non-conforming items in a lot RV to your advantage and negotiate with them to benefit buyer.

I am looking at a Vegas 24.1, there are four options. Not a lot to customize really.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:49 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Happy hunting!
Old 05-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #27

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Some models have more options than others. The Axis/Vegas models don't seem to have very many.

Mine has 20 options listed, ranging from small things like a solar panel, oven, or type of microwave, to the size of the AC unit and type of chassis (which on mine makes a big difference in OCCC). Being someone that keeps RVs for 8-10 years, I'm far more interested in getting what I want than in using an undesirable option set to negotiate a slightly lower price. Besides, as it is I got 34% off MSRP.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If it's not exactly what I want: I ain't buying it...
Old 05-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
A lot of our perceived "quality" is also related to the dealer pre delivery work.
When I bought ours September last year we agreed to take possession in one week...
5 days later they called me, told me they found 42 (!!!! nothing serious) items they would like to fix before delivering the MH to me and asked me one more week to have that done what I gladly agree with....
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It sounds as if you've found a VERY good Dealership!
Congratulations!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #31

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyLee View Post
I took delivery of my 2021 Sequence 20L on March 26, 2021. This unit is built on a Ram Promaster base and upfitted by Thor. I am a retired mechanical engineer and worked my way through high school and college as a carpenter so I have some relevant experience. What I have found so far is minor to middling quality and design issues on our unit. I have found a lot of screws either not tightened down or over driven so that they are stripped in the hole with no hold. Two of the upper cabinet doors have come loose and needed to be repaired (we have not even take a single trip yet). I found that the drivers side bed had a single screw partially driven in that was intended to hold up the back corner of the bed. That was the only support in that corner. It was already bending down and there has been no real weight put on it yet. The access hatch in the drivers side bed was missing two of four supports so it was literally hanging down into the compartment. The medicine cabinet holding magnet was fastened in on angle so it does not hold cabinet door. I have found a number of wires hanging down that I had to zip tie up to keep them secure (just sloppy). The after market swivel seats Thor installed would not rotate without a massive wrestling match. I ended up taking the seat apart and re-assembled it so that it now swivels easily. So all these things can be fixed by a handy owner, but I pity the owner who needs to take it into the dealer for each repair. Are these issue more or less than other manufacturers? I do not know as this is my first RV. I was forewarned about these kinds of things so I was prepared to handle them. Will have to see how this RV does once we start taking trips in it. My favorite comment by the "Finance Manager" at the dealership was " you know this is a house build with sticks that will start falling apart once you take it down the road. You really need to buy the extended warranty protection package!" He should be a salesman.
The finance manager is a "salesman". He sales extended warranties. I know this because my son is a finance manager at a car dealership and he makes money on each extended warranty he sells.

Bob
Old 05-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #32
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
A lot of our perceived "quality" is also related to the dealer pre delivery work.
When I bought ours September last year we agreed to take possession in one week...
5 days later they called me, told me they found 42 (!!!! nothing serious) items they would like to fix before delivering the MH to me and asked me one more week to have that done what I gladly agree with....
TOTALY agree. And to add, the high volume discount dealers are the ones most likely to save money by minimizing dealer prep and then the customer wants to gripe because they can’t get quality service at a local dealer that didn’t sell the unit. Use the savings on the fuel cost to go back to the selling dealer for service.

Unfortunately there are starting to be fewer good dealers around because most are being bought out by high volume dealers such as Camping World and forced to change into something less desirable.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:46 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Perhaps we are the cause of the problem...
Everybody seems so busy looking for the cheapest price; that they forget how it will affect the Dealer's ability to spend time fixing things.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #34

State: Washington
THOR #6433
It’s kind of funny really 100k is a lot of money to spend it really is. But in the grand scheme of RV’s it really isn’t. It’s like spending Cadillac money on a pinto. You bought a pinto guess what from time to time they tend to explode. But if it’s what you can afford then it is what it is. We should expect more sure but there is always going to be a cost. I will say when we bought ours new we had a bad leaking problem luckily that’s been fixed. Five years down the road though I am glad that we went through it. It has made me extra vigilant on checking everything. Yeah it’s more work and I would had liked to not had the problems to start with. But if from day one I was thinking everything was perfect and maybe not paying attention I could had missed things that created a lot more work and expense that weren’t covered under the warranty.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Elite Washington agree 100% and everything is up 10 to 30% in cost.
so we need to enjoy our travels. i just called on a dual axle trailer and cost is up 30% everyrthing is going crazy..
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #36

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Elite Washington agree 100% and everything is up 10 to 30% in cost.
so we need to enjoy our travels. i just called on a dual axle trailer and cost is up 30% everyrthing is going crazy..
It’s crazy how costs of everything have gone up. Unfortunately I think we are going to stay in this place. People have gotten used to paying more. So even when material costs go lower and supply can keep up with demand we will see little relief.

So if the material cost to build a coach stays at say 80k to sell at 100k. And then drops to 70k for cost there would be no reason to lower the selling price unless demand vanishes.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #37
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
It’s crazy how costs of everything have gone up. Unfortunately I think we are going to stay in this place. People have gotten used to paying more. So even when material costs go lower and supply can keep up with demand we will see little relief.

So if the material cost to build a coach stays at say 80k to sell at 100k. And then drops to 70k for cost there would be no reason to lower the selling price unless demand vanishes.
Remember when gas was close to 4 floats a gallon and service folks were allowed to add a fuel surcharge? Fuel cost has gone done but the surcharge has remained the same.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #38

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Here is one unhappy camper..... I'd say this is the extreme end of poor quality and workmanship on a 2021.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...unk-26328.html
Old 05-05-2021, 07:16 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Here is one unhappy camper..... I'd say this is the extreme end of poor quality and workmanship on a 2021.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #40

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

I would say a lot of their issues were excessive. But also with the exception or the leaks. Been there done that they seem like fairly simple fixes. Not making excuses because they should be done right at the beginning.