Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2020, 12:27 AM   #61
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarter477 View Post
I went to renew my no driver license in September. I was required get a class. B license because my coach weights over 26,000 lbs. I have a good friend that works the highway patrol for 24 years and he said hat was correct. The law in North Carolina states if you are driving a vehicle weighting over 26000 lbs you must have a class A or B drivers license. Has anyone else heard of this .
Yes, it's the law in NC.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:52 AM   #62

State: New York
THOR #18343
First of all as is already mentioned there are states that require vehicles above a certain weight to stop at all inspection areas.
Second, as with most vehicles other than passenger cars there are weight Capacity limits for all RV’s which in turn are usually unknowingly exceeded. Most people don’t have weigh scales located in their driveways. And even though your not a commercial you still have to obey weight laws. With that said, if you violated any law requiring you to pull in! Odds are in a week or two you would receive a ticket in the mail (hence the pictures being taken) for not stopping??

It’s nothing to lose sleep over though!
Old 10-25-2020, 01:33 AM   #63

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Just to be clear, we have learned that you will NOT get a ticket sent to in the mail in Oklahoma. While the Oklahoma authorities cleared me and told me I do NOT need to stop if flagged to come in for a weigh, they could not speak for regulations on the Turnpikes in Oklahoma.

I think that the States that do require RV to stop, should be very clearly that RV are required to stop, NOT so much the other states being forced to say RVs are ok to NOT stop.

I don't like too much regulations but a Federal Interstate should have same laws for consistently. It is okay if one state wants to make you stop, but the signage guidelines should all be the same.

FWIW, when I was in Oklahoma, I could have stopped to get Donuts, but I was too scared I had broken the law to risk stopping.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:52 AM   #64
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Where might that be?

None of the continental 49 I’ve driven through.
Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey and Wisconsin require single or in combination (towing a trailer or car) vehicles to stop at weigh stations if the GCWR is 10,000 lbs. or more.

Here is a link. to a good listing.

https://camperguide.org/rvs-stop-weigh-stations/
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:57 AM   #65
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarter477 View Post
I went to renew my no driver license in September. I was required get a class. B license because my coach weights over 26,000 lbs. I have a good friend that works the highway patrol for 24 years and he said hat was correct. The law in North Carolina states if you are driving a vehicle weighting over 26000 lbs you must have a class A or B drivers license. Has anyone else heard of this .
Yes and NC is not the only state that requires a special license to drive a RV over 26000 GVWR. SC has a separate license for an RV over 26K that is towing a car or trailer. Most of those states require a Non-commercial CDL to operate the >26K motorhome.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-25-2020, 02:07 AM   #66

State: Louisiana
THOR #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
How can you mention the best donuts you have ever had and not tell people where you got them? Hungry people want to know!!
My bad. Turtle's Donut Shop. So, so good!!!
Old 10-25-2020, 02:28 AM   #67

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey and Wisconsin require single or in combination (towing a trailer or car) vehicles to stop at weigh stations if the GCWR is 10,000 lbs. or more.

Here is a link. to a good listing.

https://camperguide.org/rvs-stop-weigh-stations/
I go to Arkansas a lot. Next time I go likely Nov, I will stop. Will I get a get a free weigh?

Also, are you supposed to stop at every weigh station you pass within the state?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-25-2020, 02:51 AM   #68
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I go to Arkansas a lot. Next time I go likely Nov, I will stop. Will I get a get a free weigh?

Also, are you supposed to stop at every weigh station you pass within the state?
You need to do that research yourself. I have no desire to go to Arkansas anytime in the near future so no need for me to familiarize myself with their laws.

Enjoy the journey.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #69

Model: Accolade
State: Nevada
THOR #19492
Will you believe an RV dearlship?

According to Gillette's Interstate RV,

If you’re headed down the highway with your RV in tow, you may see a weigh station and wonder if you are required to stop. The short answer to this is no, you do not have to stop at a weigh station. A weigh station is only for commercial vehicles that are hauling freight. Weigh stations make sure that trucks are not overloaded, as this is not only dangerous but it can cause damage to the roads from being too heavy. If you are worried about your RV’s weight and want to make sure that you’re not overloaded, you can pull into a weigh station and get weighed, but it’s not required.
If you happen to see a sign that says RVs must be weighed, or an officer is directing you to pull in, it’s probably best that you go ahead and do it. There may be a specific reason at that time or for that particular stretch of road and you don’t want to end up with fines. Otherwise, keep chugging down the road and happy trails!
Old 10-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
If you get a ticket in the Mail: just tell them that your Better-Half was driving...
Old 10-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #71
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief TJ View Post
According to Gillette's Interstate RV,

If you’re headed down the highway with your RV in tow, you may see a weigh station and wonder if you are required to stop. The short answer to this is no, you do not have to stop at a weigh station. A weigh station is only for commercial vehicles that are hauling freight. Weigh stations make sure that trucks are not overloaded, as this is not only dangerous but it can cause damage to the roads from being too heavy. If you are worried about your RV’s weight and want to make sure that you’re not overloaded, you can pull into a weigh station and get weighed, but it’s not required.
If you happen to see a sign that says RVs must be weighed, or an officer is directing you to pull in, it’s probably best that you go ahead and do it. There may be a specific reason at that time or for that particular stretch of road and you don’t want to end up with fines. Otherwise, keep chugging down the road and happy trails!
Gillette's Interstate RV is an official of state transportation laws based on what? Who at Gillettes made this statement, was it the receptionist, a janitor, an RV tech or a sales person?

No thank you very much.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #72

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Gillette's Interstate RV is an official of state transportation laws based on what? Who at Gillettes made this statement, was it the receptionist, a janitor, an RV tech or a sales person?

No thank you very much.
Would it make any difference if there was a Holiday Inn Express across the street from Gillette's Interstate RV

Your post made my day. Who needs Bob
Old 10-26-2020, 06:12 PM   #73

State: North Carolina
THOR #5951
Drive on

Funny, but should have been a part of your pre-planning. So now you know, the comments provide some great advice. Stay safe, and have non-panic adventures.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #74
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Would it make any difference if there was a Holiday Inn Express across the street from Gillette's Interstate RV

Your post made my day. Who needs Bob
That would depend upon what those employees were doing; during those three-hour lunch-breaks...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:44 PM   #75

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
I hope not. I have been in about all of the lower 48 and never stopped nor have been stopped because I did not stop.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:21 PM   #76

Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
I have many times being the only one on that part of the highway gotten the light to exit. When I exit there are two lanes with lights above. One lane to the left that heads you to the highway. I always get the red X on that one. The right lane heads you to the scales and I always get the green arrow. each time, before I even get all the way on the scale I get the light "continue to interstate" That does irritate me but, I'm in no hurry so I stop.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:30 PM   #77

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have never stopped at a scales on the highway. The scales are supposed to be for commercial trucks/vehicles and not recreational vehicles. California does not require a special driver's license to drive a motor home.

Paul
Old 07-15-2022, 02:31 AM   #78

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I saw a weigh station sign on an interstate somewhere once that clearly said “…all vehicles over (some amount that was about what I weigh) must weigh”. I didn’t stop and nobody shot out my tires but I’ve always wondered. My excuse would been that I thought it only applied to commercial vehicles but it would be thin.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:29 AM   #79
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I have never stopped at a scales on the highway. The scales are supposed to be for commercial trucks/vehicles and not recreational vehicles. California does not require a special driver's license to drive a motor home.

Paul

Well a drivers license has nothing to do with the scales and you better go back and look at the classes of vehicles and license requirements. There are some MHs that you DO need a different class license to drive in California.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #80

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I stand corrected. 16Ace is correct. California does require a Class B license for a motor home over 26,001 pounds. They also require a modified driver's license if you tow a trailer over 10,000 pounds. I will do my research better before I speak out next time. My current class A falls under the requirement for a different classification. We learn something every day here.

Paul