Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
Camping World/Thor Warranty Repair Process

I bought a new Thor in July.

I've been told by two different Camping Worlds that when they do a warranty repair, if a part is needed, they cannot use an in-stock part, but must contact Thor for a warranty replacement part (which could take days/weeks). This means that you either have to leave your unit at CW or bring it back AGAIN days later to finish the repair.

Has anyone else had that same experience? This just doesn't seem to make any "customer focused" sense to me from Thor.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I know this wont make any sense but could you ask if you could pay for the part so they could do the repair and then credit your card when the new part arrives. Of course I would want to contact Thor to be sure that was OK and that the part was really on the way.
You should not have to go through this but if it got you back on the road and kept you from having to come back it might be worth it.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
I believe they said no, but I'll run that by them again.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes that is common practice: Take a look at the unit to verify the problems, order the parts, and finally fix it when the parts come in.

You shouldn't leave your unit there while waiting for parts--always attempt to bring it home (just search on here for the countless # of people who've had their unit "held hostage" by the dealer--there even is a thread with "hostage" in the title).

Our dealer let us do that when we first picked it up: ordered parts for the few issues and let us take it home until the parts came in. Then it took about a day to get it fixed (in the meantime we could still go camping with it).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:54 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
tmikea - talk with the service manager and tell them you will also call Thor CR. Then call Thor CR and make sure they see the order and that it is approved. Now you can track the part(s) progress to your repairing dealer. You will not believe how many times there is a "mistake of omission" made and the parts are not on order. In my experience, Thor CR is easy to work with this way. Thor contact # we've used: (877) 855-2867. I've worked with Tom Overton and he has been great.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:10 AM   #6

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Must be a CW policy---Not my experience at all. My dealer, Carpenters in Pensacola- has repaired problems with parts from stock after contacting Thor. My Converter failed, the authorization and replacement were completed within an hour. I did have the furnace door with the upside down louvers, I had to wait for the replacement door to be shipped but dealer sealed the louvers so the unit was usable.
Also agree Thor CR has been very good to work with.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My dealer used parts from stock after receiving authorization from Thor.

One point, if parts have to be shipped before repairs can be made if you decline to leave the coach at the dealer while waiting for the parts the 20 day provision of the warranty will not apply because your actions, driving the coach home, verifies it is still usable and the issue does not impair the value of the coach. Also, due to insurance, many dealers will not have an open service ticket on a coach that is not physically controlled by them.

Also, I have found that Thor does not take weeks to deliver parts to the dealer. It is instead the dealer that takes days or weeks to request and obtain the proper authorization from Thor.

Two warranty visits with my coach (one for a defective radio replacement after the warranty expired) and the dealer had parts in hand within 5 days.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Dave - yep the very reason I call to follow up with Thor.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
My dealer (not a CW) also pulls parts from stock and does the repair as soon as Thor authorizes the warranty repair. The dealer simply replaces the part when he receives it from Thor. The longest my dealer ever had my Vegas was 3 days replacing the windshield. He has never kept my RV in his yard awaiting the part from Thor if he did not have it in stock.

He generally validates the discrepancy, gets Thor approval for the repair, and if parts had to be ordered he sends me home with the RV and calls when the part is in.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #2285
Glad to hear your dealer is not like the CW where my 24.1 sat for 2 1/2 months waiting for a windshield molding to be replaced. The molding blew off of the windshield while coming from Denver on I-25 and was taken to CW on 9-13 and returned to pick it up on 11-29. They would not let me keep it stored and bring it to them when they had the part. They finally used material they had in stock.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Dealer I have been dealing with uses their own parts, I am guessing they either are reimbursed or Thor replaces the part.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikea View Post
I bought a new Thor in July.

I've been told by two different Camping Worlds that when they do a warranty repair, if a part is needed, they cannot use an in-stock part, but must contact Thor for a warranty replacement part (which could take days/weeks). This means that you either have to leave your unit at CW or bring it back AGAIN days later to finish the repair.

Has anyone else had that same experience? This just doesn't seem to make any "customer focused" sense to me from Thor.

Heed the advice of veteran members on this board.

It took CW three months to complete warranty work on my rig. I even did all the leg work for CW. Are all CW dealers the same? No. Some are more efficient and competent than others.

In my view, I think the single most important element in purchasing a coach is the service department. Identify a stellar service department and you will be very happy in the long run.

My two pennies worth...
Old 12-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
Unless CW is your only, and I mean only option, I'd find someone else to do your work. There are independent shops that are willing to work with Thor ... at least in my neck of the woods.

As others have said many times before, there's absolutely NO reason to leave your rig anywhere except in your own driveway until the repair shop is prepared to do the work. And apart from major body work or an engine repair, repairs can almost always be done within a 24-hour period.

Please, don't let service departments call the shots on your rig. Tell them what you want, negotiate a mutually acceptable timeline, and then hold them to it.

Thor is easy to work with when dealing with smaller independent shops. Be reasonable, and they'll be reasonable right back.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #14

Model: 40KQ
State: Texas
THOR #2963
At least CW will repair your coach. The CW near me, refuses to do any warranty work on my coach because "I didn't purchase it from them", and I put that in quotes as I have it in writing. I forwarded it to Thor, to which I haven't heard anything further. Now that my warranty has expired, I am sure I will not hear further. I won't rant any further as I don't want to take away from your thread. Thanks for allowing me to add a note.

----------------
Swede
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #15

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
If CW is only performing selective warrantee work, I would contact Thor. I really doubt that they would condone that. Either a facility is a Thor authorized warrantee facility or not. If it is, they should honor the warrantee on any qualified coach, meaning any coach that falls within the Thor warrantee time window, regardless of where it was purchased.