Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2022, 07:01 PM   #21
MLP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #17478
Ok. I'll play I stole your PDF.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said Up There.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	40111

Old 11-15-2022, 10:21 PM   #22

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
All wires on the chassis side of trombetta go to chassis side of bim except the IRD Wires.
All wires hooked to house side go to house side of bim again except the wires if they go to the IRD.
Only should have the small post wires left.
One side should have the IRD wire tied to it and going to ground. Put ground wire to bim.
Blue wire from IRD hooks to the ing on bim.
The other wire on trombetta is the emergency start. That goes to the signal side.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DAB1DB8F-DD1B-4BB4-81DE-90E22E508D93.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	40113  
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:32 AM   #23
dlt

THOR #23753
Well, I spent the whole afternoon, could not find the actual broken wire. I tested to connect IRD to battery positive, that worked. So it should be the wire issue.

I traced the wire to the fuse box under driver seat. Most fuses are good, so I have to stop here. The good news is, I can cut and connect that wire to some fuse port.

After seeing all the wires, that is a mess, how could this get off the assemble line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F5051FF2-DB99-40E5-A0C2-255AB136315F.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	40120   Click image for larger version

Name:	0B896C46-AA87-44AC-AB92-15285AEDCC93.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	40121  

Old 11-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #24

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Driving does not charge house battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt View Post
After seeing all the wires, that is a mess, how could this get off the assemble line.

Unfortunately that is typical Thor quality and workmanship. I ended up redoing alot of the wiring in my coach.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:21 PM   #25
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Well, I spent the whole afternoon, could not find the actual broken wire. I tested to connect IRD to battery positive, that worked. So it should be the wire issue.

I traced the wire to the fuse box under driver seat. Most fuses are good, so I have to stop here. The good news is, I can cut and connect that wire to some fuse port.

You, obviously, have never toured a fifth wheel or trailer factory. That wiring is quite neat!
Old 11-19-2022, 10:11 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #27561
I have a 2022 Thor Four Winds 22E and am following this post closely so if I have problems I can fix them more easily in the future.

Just a few comments. First I wouldn't call the Trombetta a latching relay. The contactor only closes when the "emergency" button is pushed, let go of the button and the relay opens. The button is a momentary button (only closes while being pushed) so it is a momentary circuit.

I have been thinking about changing my house batteries to lithium. I haven't been able to get information from the manufacturer if the converter is programable or adaptable to lithium. I have a WF-8955PEC converter but the "SPEC" part just means that it is a specified or perhaps special item for OEM. If you find out @dlt, then please let me know.

My unit also has one solar panel with a charge controller. According to the user manual the solar charge controller GP-PWM-10-SQ doesn't have a lithium battery selection.

As an electrical engineer, I have a hard time understanding why Thor couldn't produce better drawings. They should take a cue from the electrical schematics for most cars.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:01 AM   #27

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post
I have a 2022 Thor Four Winds 22E and am following this post closely so if I have problems I can fix them more easily in the future.

Just a few comments. First I wouldn't call the Trombetta a latching relay. The contactor only closes when the "emergency" button is pushed, let go of the button and the relay opens. The button is a momentary button (only closes while being pushed) so it is a momentary circuit.

I have been thinking about changing my house batteries to lithium. I haven't been able to get information from the manufacturer if the converter is programable or adaptable to lithium. I have a WF-8955PEC converter but the "SPEC" part just means that it is a specified or perhaps special item for OEM. If you find out @dlt, then please let me know.

My unit also has one solar panel with a charge controller. According to the user manual the solar charge controller GP-PWM-10-SQ doesn't have a lithium battery selection.

As an electrical engineer, I have a hard time understanding why Thor couldn't produce better drawings. They should take a cue from the electrical schematics for most cars.
The specs say it does, Product Features:
Pulse Width Modulation Charging
4 Battery Charging profiles: Gel, AGM, Flooded, and Lithium
4 Stage Charging: Bulk, Float, Absorption and Equalize
Monthly Equalize option
LCD display shows Charging Current, Battery Voltage
LED indicator shows Battery State of Charge
Reverse Polarity protected
Accepts up to 190 watts of solar at 12 volts
Old 11-20-2022, 01:49 AM   #28

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
So many people post about going AGM or Lithium when they have a lead acid chassis battery, that engine alternator was designed to charge a lead acid battery in the chassis and the house, going to AGM or Lithium with out doing a DC to DC battery charger that can be set for the different batteries is throwing money away, do the research before you make the switch, if you do the change to AGM or Lithium your converter or charger needs to change to allow it to charge the batteries to the correct voltage, Inverters are available with a built in charger that can be set to handle the AGM or Lithium batteries
Old 11-20-2022, 02:01 AM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
So many people post about going AGM or Lithium when they have a lead acid chassis battery, that engine alternator was designed to charge a lead acid battery in the chassis and the house, going to AGM or Lithium with out doing a DC to DC battery charger that can be set for the different batteries is throwing money away, do the research before you make the switch, if you do the change to AGM or Lithium your converter or charger needs to change to allow it to charge the batteries to the correct voltage, Inverters are available with a built in charger that can be set to handle the AGM or Lithium batteries
Nothing has to change for AGM and AFA the alternator charging house lithium batteries; a LI-BIM will handle that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:07 AM   #30

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:

Trombettas can either be momentary (Emergency start) or continuous duty used to charge house batteries from alternator. Held on by constant signal, not latching. Not interchangeable..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:29 PM   #31
dlt

THOR #23753
Quote:

After I emailed to Thor customer support, here is the final result.

Base on the information he provided, the blue wire of IRD is connected to yellow wire that is connect to pink wire (ON 10A Fuse F13 underwood fuse block) in position E located at bottom of pillar behind drivers sear.

I found F13 fuse is blown.So just ordered fuse, this is considered fixed.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:31 PM   #32
dlt

THOR #23753
By the way, this is Chevy chassis.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:03 AM   #33

THOR #27561
Quote:
By the way, this is Chevy chassis.
Thanks for that information. Mine (Four Winds 22E) is a Ford E350 Super Duty Chassis so the fuse numbers, colors, etc. probably don't apply to me but I will remember the symptoms.

You would think that since Thor has to build the wiring harnesses that they would have drawings for them and the attachment points. I don't think that they just tell the workers to just "wire as required".
Old 12-01-2022, 01:45 AM   #34
dlt

THOR #23753
Quote:
Thanks for that information. Mine (Four Winds 22E) is a Ford E350 Super Duty Chassis so the fuse numbers, colors, etc. probably don't apply to me but I will remember the symptoms.

You would think that since Thor has to build the wiring harnesses that they would have drawings for them and the attachment points. I don't think that they just tell the workers to just "wire as required".
Yes, he did attached the schema of the “emergency start”, that included this portion. I did not aware of the attachment before I found the fuse. I could attach it here later for reference. It is for Chevy chassis.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:47 AM   #35
dlt

THOR #23753
Quote:
Yes, he did attached the schema of the “emergency start”, that included this portion. I did not aware of the attachment before I found the fuse. I could attach it here later for reference. It is for Chevy chassis.
Here it is.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:06 AM   #36
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Here it is.
I guess you didn't read the fine print on that diagram?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copyright.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	40254  
Old 12-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #37

THOR #27561
Removed copyrighted material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I guess you didn't read the fine print on that diagram?
I guess that I was too late because I didn't see any attachment from dlt. Someone must have taken it down.

I have attached the 12V electrical power schematic but it is almost useless for troubleshooting the isolator solenoid because it doesn't include the control wiring (i.e. what actually actuates the isolator solenoid) for the isolator solenoid.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:47 PM   #38
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I guess that I was too late because I didn't see any attachment from dlt. Someone must have taken it down.

I have attached the 12V electrical power schematic but it is almost useless for troubleshooting the isolator solenoid because it doesn't include the control wiring (i.e. what actually actuates the isolator solenoid) for the isolator solenoid.
It was taken down because it is copyrighted by Thor. Yours is the same and also has a copyright warning on it that you failed to read.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:26 PM   #39

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It was taken down because it is copyrighted by Thor. Yours is the same and also has a copyright warning on it that you failed to read.
Has anyone at the Thor Forums asked TMC if this forum could be allowed to post the copyrighted items? Them NOT allowing owners some knowledge exchanging would be ludicrous for business.

Just a thought.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:56 PM   #40

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Has anyone at the Thor Forums asked TMC if this forum could be allowed to post the copyrighted items? Them NOT allowing owners some knowledge exchanging would be ludicrous for business.

Just a thought.
I looked at my owners resource and didn't see anything, I even opened many PDF's and I didn't see anything