Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Help with Glueing Techniques for Fiberglass

I have an idea for a modification but I need some input. Is there a safe way to glue/bond to the fiberglass the THors are made of?

I am concerned with drilling holes in the side of the Vegas, the DW does not approve. So, what I want to do is to glue/bond a metal plate (6"X6" or so) to the side of the RV in front of the support arm and behind the passanger's window up about the height of the upper (non-sliding) portion of the window.

That will allow me to use a magnetic base to an external WiFi antenna. RadioLabs has a WaveRV antenna that:"Is literally an antenna you plug into your USB connector for a total, on-the-fly connection that you can plug and play! This connection will work at high speed, with any USB 2.0 computer port! No external power required for the antenna, it's powered and operates solely off of the power supplied by the USB".

Anyone glued/bonded anything to the side of their Thor RV? Open for suggestions here.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:26 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How strong is the magnet? Can you put the metal on the inside?

I guess the question is do you want this to stay there on the road, or just camping? If its just camping then you probably could make do with something inside.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:40 AM   #3

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I used 3M 5200 adhesive for bonding anything to fiberglass on my boats. It is impervious to water and incredibly strong, but you have to fasten together whatever you are gluing. Once you get them together, you will not get them apart.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:54 AM   #4

THOR #2142
Jamie,

In college I had an old 69 Opel GT and I put a magnetic based CB antenna on top of the thing (made it look like a remote control car) but it never came loose! Something along those lines so it could hold up on the road (not sure just how much WiFi I can get on the road).

Earlier today I got a copy of the blueprints for the roof of my Vegas and there is a big 36"X36" metal support reinforcement over the passanger's head in case one wants to mount a satalite dish. I tried to see if the magnet could lock in on it but no avail.

I just saw another posting on this Forum about using a "BearExtender Outdoor High Power USB Wi-Fi Extender for Marine/RV" which could be mounted inside or outside.

I'll try running it from the inside and see how it does, I believe the outside will be better if it is really needed. For now trying to get an idea of just what it would take to get something attached to the side of the RV.

Doc

Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #5

THOR #2142
Oneil,

Thanks, I think I can come up with a way to secure it while the adhesive sets. If not that will take the worlds largest C-clamp!

Doc

Old 03-29-2016, 02:34 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Doc,

Can't you remove one of the awning support bolts and use it to also mount your plate? If it is possible it might be easier than trying to glue something to the outside wall. Remove the bolt and slide the plate between the awning arm and sidewall and then reinstall the bolt.

I am, however, not sure where your awning arms are positioned on your coach but the front one on mine is between the door and the passenger's side window.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:39 AM   #7

THOR #1765
Park it next to a wall and build yourself a brace. Actually, what I would do (have done) is to wait for DW to go shopping, drill and countersink some screws and cover the evidence.��
Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #8

THOR #2142
Dave,

I will have to extend the awning and see how the track is mounted. Yes, on the Vegas the forward track is infront of the door and behind the passenger's side window.

Oneil,

I was thinking along the same line, with an inch or two of sealed/bonded/glued metal surrounding the screw hole into the side of the RV it should be water proof.

Doc

Old 03-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #9

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Have you tried with a magnet out side looking for some steal? On my couch Thor used steal in a few places just for more strength. Or if no steal and you really don't want it all that permanent then maybe some 3m double sided tape. That's some good stuff and holding on most of all my seals and molding...
Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #10

THOR #2142
Don,

I requested (from THC Customer Service) the blueprints for the roof. There is a 36"X36" steel plate over the passanger for support should one mount a dish, but no go for the magnet to pick it up. Ed has the diagram of the walls of his Vegas, I think I'll request mine and see if there is a plate on the verticle wall somewhere near the front.

Doc

Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #11

THOR #1249
Doc, maybe you could use dental adhesive. If it can stand up to foul mouth acids etc., it could take a little wind and rain.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #12

THOR #2142
MCR,

Funny you should say that. Have you seen the "As Seen On TV" ad for the "Blue Light Wielding Glue"? That is a spin off of the light cured tooth colored material we use in Dentistry...and I have used it to repair many small items.

Doc

Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #13

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Park it next to a wall and build yourself a brace. Actually, what I would do (have done) is to wait for DW to go shopping, drill and countersink some screws and cover the evidence.��
If u do that I would still use 5200. As long as you never want to remove it.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #14

THOR #2142
Oneil,

Yep, if it is an outside mount then I will use the 5200.

When not in use I plan on "camouflaging" the plate with a flexible 3"X 5" US Flag magnet. I just have to find one with the blue field and stars on the leading edge (upper right) of the flag.

Doc

Old 03-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #15

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
MCR,

Funny you should say that. Have you seen the "As Seen On TV" ad for the "Blue Light Wielding Glue"? That is a spin off of the light cured tooth colored material we use in Dentistry...and I have used it to repair many small items.

Doc
Have not seen that one, but it is on the list. That would be handy to have and add to the collection since glue is like a tool, when I need it, it seems like I need it right then.
I have a whole shelf of different adhesives and several different types in the Vegas. Not a hoarder yet, but getting close to level 3 needing clinical intervention.
Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
When not in use I plan on "camouflaging" the plate with a flexible 3"X 5" US Flag magnet. I just have to find one with the blue field and stars on the leading edge (upper right) of the flag.
I wonder if you could simply try to match the paint colors and paint it. The paint would also serve as corrosion protection.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #17

THOR #2142
Jamie,

I have a friend that has a paint shop. I was thinking of powder coating for protection from corrosion. Probably just go with a flat black as it would tie into the black of the speakers and some other trim. I would really like the dark brown color the awning supports are painted.

Doc

Old 03-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #18

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Solar install with VHB tape - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums

Here is a link to how a person mounted solar panels to the roof of his Casita travel trailer. He used VHB tape. We used this tape on some B-52 temporary repairs.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #19

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Solar install with VHB tape - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums

Here is a link to how a person mounted solar panels to the roof of his Casita travel trailer. He used VHB tape. We used this tape on some B-52 temporary repairs.
Wow! Looks like great stuff. I'll have to buy and try some....
Old 03-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #20

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Oneil,

Yep, if it is an outside mount then I will use the 5200.

Doc
The flag is a great idea. I bet it will be hard to find one flying from right to left. That's opposite. Maybe in Japan where they read right to left.