Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Florida
THOR #3501
Lost power on Interstate

Back again - I recently posted about a battery issue that turned out to be reverse polarity. This could very well have something to do with that...

I'm currently stuck on the not-very-wide shoulder of I-89 in Vermont. Waiting on a tow, not just posting to the Forums! I was driving along at 60mph, noticed a funny noise coming from the doghouse, a slight ticking, then a louder ticking, then something sounding like it was flapping loose (best words I can find to describe it right now). I immediately put on the blinkers, pulled onto the shoulder, hit the brakes, came to a stop, and the rig shut off before I put it in park.

I haven't tried to restart it yet. I have power to the blinkers. I have power to the 12v dash sockets. The battery hasn't been giving me any indication of an issue up until now, so I think it, in and of itself, is fine. On the dash, the battery icon is lit. The engine icon is lit. And the oil icon is lit. I have power to the 12v system in the coach. I haven't tried the generator yet.

Any ideas just to throw about? A wire that should go to the engine that may have somehow burned out?

There are some other possible tie-in symptoms - I noticed a slight aroma emanating from the front of the coach starting yesterday. Nothing too alarming. It seemed to start after I tried to turn my interior roof fan on. I hit the power switch, it tried, then sort of fizzled out. Had to hit the off button a few times for it to come to a complete stop. Could be unrelated to the aroma from the front, but it started at that time. I couldn't ID the aroma, and was getting myself over to a more populated area to have a look at it. A miracle that I'm in signal when this happened, a pity that it was on the Interstate.

I'll update shortly, hopefully I'll be getting to a safer spot before long, whatever that entails.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Alternator belt gone, just a thought.
Smell could have been belt melting, something frozen, a/c pump, alt itself or just the belt going away
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:37 PM   #3

THOR #3501
The sound definitely sounded like it could have been a belt shredding and breaking loose. The smell was more of an oil or liquid sort of aroma - I'm not well-versed I the different ones. Not oil or petrol, not brakes, maybe power steering? Doubt it was radiator related, as I've had no temp issues.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:00 PM   #4

THOR #24260
Broken belt, alt light on, probably the belt. Yes it has a funny smell when it dies a slow death. I hope its just a belt, not expensive. Good luck, wish i was close i would come out and help you.
Terry
Semper Fi
Old 10-07-2021, 10:10 PM   #5

THOR #3501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Broken belt, alt light on, probably the belt. Yes it has a funny smell when it dies a slow death. I hope its just a belt, not expensive. Good luck, wish i was close i would come out and help you.
Terry
I appreciate the ideas! It's a holiday weekend up here in Vermont, so it may be awhile before anyone can even look at it. Keeping my fingers crossed, but trying to gather any info/intel I can so I can start thinking through solutions. No space at campgrounds or hotels tonight, so, if they actually find a tow, it'll be Walmart, which is infinitely better than an Interstate shoulder!

Is the alt belt something I could identify just by looking, or is it hidden from view? The flappy noise sounded like it was under the doghouse area, or slightly to the passenger side, but I was moving, so it's tough to say for sure.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The alternator belt is the "everything" belt - a single serpentine belt.

If you want more info, start the engine (or try). If it starts and the battery light goes out it isn't the belt - and the belt probably wouldn't cause the engine to stop unless it wrapped around the main pulley.

Nothing from the house side should have been affected by the engine stopping.

I hope you get through this hiccup soon.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:15 AM   #7

THOR #3501
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The alternator belt is the "everything" belt - a single serpentine belt.

If you want more info, start the engine (or try). If it starts and the battery light goes out it isn't the belt - and the belt probably wouldn't cause the engine to stop unless it wrapped around the main pulley.

Nothing from the house side should have been affected by the engine stopping.

I hope you get through this hiccup soon.
The house is all currently in good working order. I did crank it, at the request of a mechanically inclined buddy. It does crank, and start, but sounds wretched. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree, and I turned it off quickly. It sounded like it would have quit quickly if I didn't. In Aux, the oil, battery (alternator) and engine warning lights stay on, if that means anything...
Old 10-08-2021, 12:30 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48in366 View Post
The house is all currently in good working order. I did crank it, at the request of a mechanically inclined buddy. It does crank, and start, but sounds wretched. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree, and I turned it off quickly. It sounded like it would have quit quickly if I didn't. In Aux, the oil, battery (alternator) and engine warning lights stay on, if that means anything...
Yeah, that kinda points at the belt. Probably the easiest way to verify that is from under the MH from the front.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:57 AM   #9

THOR #24260
Yep, open hood, look for a belt, about 2 inches thick, black, and it goes around multiple pulleys. The pulleys might have grooves in them, some may be smooth.
Look just past the fan blade.
Semper Fi
Old 10-08-2021, 03:56 AM   #10

THOR #3501
"Safe" at Walmart for the night. The tow truck chap listened to my tale, and said he'd put eyes on the belt while the rig was raised for towing. He came back from underneath saying it looked fine.

When he dropped the rig, my flashers, which had been running for 5 hours, went nuts, and the headlights and taillights started flickering, despite them not being on. I hopped in, put it into park (it was in neutral, the drive shaft is disconnected, and the key was in the 1st on position), turned it off, and everything still flashed. Dead battery? He unhooked the thing to make the flashing stop so I can sleep tonight!

I'm hearing timing chain may be something? And I mentioned a high-pitched, but faint, electrical whine that I heard at the rear of the coach this morning to a mechanically-inclined buddy, who thinks that may be the fuel pump. How all these odd symptoms relate is beyond me, or it might be every aspect of the coach giving up at the same time, at 149k miles.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:15 AM   #11

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Sounds like the ECM or another computer
Old 10-09-2021, 01:33 AM   #12

THOR #3501
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Sounds like the ECM or another computer
Hmm. That could possibly tie some of the odd symptoms together. There were no warning lights or prior indications that the engine would go kablooey, but if the power issues have anything to do with this, any computer related parts would be high on the at risk list. My reverse polarity issue was a week ago Thursday, and all appeared fine afterwards. The glitchy fan and weird smell were Wednesday, the engine "dying" was Thursday. Not sure how long things take to "go bad". I miraculously found a shop that could take me in today, so he's started looking at things. I'll do some digging around, try to make heads or tails of the schematics and diagrams on the RV side of things, and locate all the spots the two electrical systems may cross. Thanks for the idea!
Old 10-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
I would love to know what the problem was. It sounds scary.

Thanks,
Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #14

THOR #3501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
I would love to know what the problem was. It sounds scary.

Thanks,
Pam
Still working on figuring it out! I'll post a little update shortly on what has been found - at least one of the spark plugs is severely damaged. I'm waiting to hear from the mechanic as to any additional internal damage, and whether he's able to fish out all the broken bits. Also, if he can work out what caused all this. As it stands right now, it's looking like I'll need a replacement engine.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #15

THOR #1249
Sure hope it is not an eng. replacement. With a 100k miles plus on it, I'm guessing you have the v10. It sure is an inconvenience to say the least. Had something similar happen to us on another coach several years ago.
Let us know how it goes. Hope you get out of this without losing your shirt.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Yes, please keep us posted. This is a nightmare that I have. Wishing you good luck!
Old 10-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
What a day Mare nightmare good luck..keep us up to date..have a glass of vino
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well since 48in366 hasn't been back to post what happened and I follow them on facebook I can update: It did need a new engine.

After the new engine was put in the check engine light remained on until someone figured out that the O2 sensors were wired wrong.

They are now back to happy motoring with a new, er, motor.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:44 PM   #19

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
What year is your unit?
Old 01-05-2022, 01:10 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgarnat@aol.com View Post
What year is your unit?
Well not mine, but theirs is a 2015 or 2016--don't remember.

That RV is driven daily, has well over 130,000 miles on it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote