Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #1

Brand: Entegra
Model: 2021 Emblem 36U
State: Virginia
THOR #21648
need warranty advice - what would you do ?

I am sorry - I know I keep bothering you guys with my problems - but is is getting worse and worse every day. Or am I just impatient

I am totally frustrated right now - some of you might remember my older thread when I had issues with my brand new Entegra Coach - this story continues

I picked up my new 2021 Entegra Emblem on 3/22 and the problems started on my way back home
It took General RV quite a while before I did get an appointment - so I dropped the coach off in Ashland, VA on 4/14. On 4/20 I got a text message that they are still waiting on a bay to open up - why did I have an appointment on 4/14 ??

On 4/27 they called me that they would need to order parts and it will take about 2 months. This is when my frustration level reached 100 They requested me to pick up my unit and come back first week in July or they would charge $25/day storage fee. - WHAT ??? You are selling me an RV which does not even make it home and want me to be patient for more than 3 months to get it running AND charge storage fees ?? NO NO ! Well, she realized how pissed I was and after talkig to her supervisor, they waived the storage fee. Do I have to be thankful now ?

She had another surprise: my flooring has bubbles in the kitchen area. These bubbles cannot be fixed unless the entire flooring will be replaced. I was told that Entegra will not cover this under warranty as the affected area is too small and it would be just too expensive to fix that. Excuse me ?? Did I mention that this is a brand new RV - build in January 2021 ??

What would be your advise to speed this up ? I am paying for an unusable RV since March and for ( at least ) another 2 months and all I get is "I am so sorry ... "

I called Entegra Customer Service, complaint, got a sorry and a case number. I forwarded this case number to General RV and again: silence. Don't hear back from them, nobody responses to my calls and/or emails. Customer service at its best.

Do you get why I am frustrated ? I own and pay for a ( not cheap ) RV and am stranded because nobody cares. Why should they ? They have my money secured. Nobody returns any calls since I paid - you should have seen their motivation prior to me paying

Hope you guys can follow - my english is not fluent, but I try my best

Old 05-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Check into your states lemon laws. Possibly an attorney too.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #3

THOR #21648
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Check into your states lemon laws. Possibly an attorney too.
I might be wrong, but I believe lemon laws do not cover RV's - just cars ??

On the other hand, I just want this done in a seasonable time. If I hire an attorney, that would not speed anything up, I believe
Old 05-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's very doubtful that the Lemon Laws apply
Stand your ground on the bubbled up flooring issue. The rig didn't suffer that,damage through your mis-use: they just didn't build it right.
They've got to fix it for you...
Old 05-02-2021, 09:56 PM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #22687
Like the man said, stick to your guns on each and every little thing.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If I couldn’t fix it myself I’d go talk to an independent RV repair shop. The ones I’ve used don’t treat you like that. They’d be out of business if they did. But they don’t need to hear your anger - it’s not their fault. Just tell them what’s wrong and that the dealer can’t get you in for several months. Good luck
Old 05-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Why not make a service appointment with the manufacturer?
Make an appointment and drive to Indiana (?) or the factory location
Others on this Forum have done it with good results
Old 05-03-2021, 02:35 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The Service Center at General RV in Ashland Va is a very professional crew. The sales, finance and prep folks are another story.

General has no control over parts shipments from Jayco. A buckled vinyl floor does not keep you from using the RV. They gave you an appointment based on when the parts would be on hand and it sounds like you were the unprofessional one. Maybe they should have told you they would call to make the appointment after they actually receive the parts and let you wait another month or three.

By the way, regarding the issue of you taking the RV or being charged storage they explain that to every service customer and have them sign an acknowledgment form before they accept the rig into the shop.

If I’m not mistaken you didn’t buy from Ashland but rather Florida. Ashland had nothing to do with your situation. Think about it
Old 05-03-2021, 04:46 AM   #9

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
The bubble in the floor will not keep you from using the RV, not sure what the other issue is but if it's also a minor thing that will not prevent you from using it go retrieve your RV and use it and take it back when they have the parts or wait till winter time when you won't be using it. It is frustrating to have a new RV and to have issues, they all do by the way, but don't let the small things keep you from using it.
My new RV had 2 windows with a rattling issue while going down the road, it was going to take several months for a redesigned window, I went and picked up my RV and used it for the summer came up with a temporary solution to keep the 2 windows from rattling. Come October, 2 new design windows had come in and I was done using the RV for the year so I dropped the RV off to have them replaced, 3 days later it was done and I got to use my new RV for the year. Was it an inconvenience? sure, but it didn't stop me from using it.
During the heavy use season it is extremely hard to get your RV in and fixed in a timely fashion and with RV sales through the roof I don't see it getting any better any time soon.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:05 AM   #10

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Utah
THOR #18374
First off, sorry you are experiencing the isues, I know it is frustrating for you. You asked what would others do, so I'll offer my suggestion. First, learn and understand the warranty provided by Entegra. It is an expressed warranty so I'm pretty certain you were provided details on Entegra's remedy to any warranty issues. Then I'd send a letter to Entregra, return receipt, and detail my warranty claim along with photos. I'd explain exactly how the failed or defective part is "substantial in nature" and that it prevents you from using the RV as intended. (This is obviously not the issue with the floor, but instead whatever is wrong that prevents its use). I'd include in the letter a written demand to repair or replace the defective part(s) by them or their agent as required by their expressed warranty. They must be given notice of the defect and a reasonable amount of time to make the repair, so yes, you will need to be somewhat patient. I'd also follow up by telephone after I knew they received my written notice/demand and discuss exactly what you expect and what Entegra will do to remedy. Who knows, maybe they will pick up your RV and drive it back to Indiana to be repaired if a local facility cannot repair it in a reasonable amount of time. By all means, be firm, but also be professional and polite. If this all failed, I'd seek some type of civil remedy.

Your "issues" are not with General RV, but instead with Entegra. I wouldn't trust General to 100% honestly and accurately convey what they "submitted" to Entrega and exactly what Entegra's response was. I'd want to see Entegra's response in writing.

As almost everyone that owns an RV from every last manufacturer will tell you, #$%$ happens and things fail or break. It's okay, it can all be fixed. I personally love and enjoy using our RV, regardless of what I have had to fix or improve. You bought a beautiful new RV, so just work through the glitches as smoothly and quickly as you can, then get out and enjoy the thing!
Old 05-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #11

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
I'd get an attorney; RV lemon laws do exist-here in Utah a couple eventually got a full refund on the brand new garbage coach they bought (sorry, can't recall who from because it was several years ago).

Also, while I'm not a proponent of social media, I've heard of many dealers who "changed their minds" about how they treat their customers once social media blew up due to the complaints posted about certain dealers.
Gary

GVP
Old 05-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
OP...... I understand your pain and empathize with you. While your feelings of frustration and disappointment are well founded, this is the unfortunate state of the RV industry in general and it is becoming worse with all the newbies jumping in for the first time and overwhelming an already taxed customer service system.

There is an overwhelming demand for RV's and dealers who have fairly inexperienced labor as it is can't even add people to meet the demand because no one wants to work with all the "free" money the current adminstration keeps handing out across the board even though the economy is improving once states realize they need to be open.... but I digress.

Because of the spike in RV sales and the shut down last year of many manufacturing companies, parts are in short supply so what were long wait times during normal times is even worse now.

I do remember your first posts about the slide not working on the way home from purchsing your coach and having to find a mobile RV service.

As I have said numerous times on this forum, I would only deal with the manufacturer's service center and not a dealer when it comes to warranty service for anything I would consider major repairs. I have never purchased from the same dealer twice and my current coach (2020 Magnitude SV34) was purchased from General RV in Ohio. I have always taken the coach back to the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa, IN for major service. They only work on Thor products and they know the strengths and weaknesse of each coach. The guy's in the dealer service center might work on a specific model or a specific repair a couple times.... or never.

As was mentioned previously, I would work through Entegra directly to get an appointment with their Factory Service center to get your slide and all of your other issues addressed.

Even though the floor is cosmetic.... it is about quality and workmanship and the floor should be addressed under warranty. It would be a major job for the dealer to replace the entire floor so I could see how General RV might not want to do it given their service backlog... but Entegra should be willing and able to handle it on a new coach.

The suggestion of using an independent RV restoration and repair shop is also a good one. If you don't want to take it to Indiana, then you can press Entegra to let you get estimates from a local independent shop to see if they would cover it under warranty. You might have to pay out of pocket but they would reimburse you if they approve the repairs.

Finally, as others have said.... things are going to break on an RV. Its just the nature of the beast. This is also not the auto industry where 99.9% of things work properly from the factory. In the RV industry it is the opposite.... there is a 99.9% chance an RV is going to have problems even before you sign the paperwork to take it home. That is why spending several hours on a PDI is so very important. Unfortunately, a lot of people new to RV's don't know this and end up very disappointed and frustrated.

It helps immensely if you are mechanically inclined and can do your own repairs and upgrades. I told my wife manby times that I don't know how anyone can own a motorhome if they can't do their own repairs. If I could not handle most things myself, I doubt I would own one. I have had Thor send me parts under warranty on numerous occassions so I could do my own repairs instead of taking it to the dealer.

If you can handle most minor repairs (a slide failure like yours is a major repair that should be handled by Entegra or the dealer), then it will help your frustration levels and let you enjoy the coach more.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

THOR #21648
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The Service Center at General RV in Ashland Va is a very professional crew. The sales, finance and prep folks are another story.

General has no control over parts shipments from Jayco. A buckled vinyl floor does not keep you from using the RV. They gave you an appointment based on when the parts would be on hand and it sounds like you were the unprofessional one. Maybe they should have told you they would call to make the appointment after they actually receive the parts and let you wait another month or three.

By the way, regarding the issue of you taking the RV or being charged storage they explain that to every service customer and have them sign an acknowledgment form before they accept the rig into the shop.

If I’m not mistaken you didn’t buy from Ashland but rather Florida. Ashland had nothing to do with your situation. Think about it
I am not aware that I acted unprofessional - please tell me what I did wrong. You are right - the vinyl floor does not keep me from camping, a non working slide sure does. If it would have been the vinyl floor only, I would use my rig until the season ends and have it done in the winter.

BTW - I totally understand that they charge storage fee if somebody leaves their RV with them unnecessary - in my case I would not understand it as the unit is unusable. However, this part has been solved

General RV Ashland, Florida, Utah or wherever is the same owner - yes, General RV (Ashland) had something to do with my situation as I bought it from General RV
Old 05-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #14

THOR #21648
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Why not make a service appointment with the manufacturer?
Make an appointment and drive to Indiana (?) or the factory location
Others on this Forum have done it with good results
Thank you for that idea - I will look into it and this is possibly my next step

I emailed Entegra customer service last night - let's see what their response is.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #15

THOR #21648
I just realized that I did not mention the main problem in my first post - sorry

It sure is not the bubbled flooring or any of the 10 other issues - the main thing which keeps me from using the RV is a non working slide - it is stocked and cannot be retracted once it is extended
Old 05-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by witthuus View Post
I might be wrong, but I believe lemon laws do not cover RV's - just cars ??

On the other hand, I just want this done in a seasonable time. If I hire an attorney, that would not speed anything up, I believe
It depends on which state you are in. Some cover RV's. I'm not going to check your state for you.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Most of us here have been in a situation like you at one time or another when it comes to r v repairs/build quality. The factory where the coach was built sounds like the best place to start and not at the local dealership if you can get it there. You need to remember to be firm when dealing with the customer service and not angry. They can either be your best friend or someone who doesn't care depending on your approach. Good luck with getting things worked out. I had many issues with my first motor home that would not allow me to use it and had issues with the dealership that sold me the brand new motor home as well as some issues with the manufacturer. It eventually all got worked out but it was frustrating to say the least.

Paul
Old 05-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #18

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Paul is 100% correct!

When contacting Entegra Warranty Customer Service...

- Be polite

- Provide facts

- Tell them you selected Entegra because of their quality and customer service so you are sure they can help you resolve the issues so that you can be fully happy with your purchase in the end
Old 05-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
X 2!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #20

THOR #21648
Thanks everybody - will be patient

Don't think I was rude so far but I think I am entitled to be frustrated

I work in customer service and I believe me and my team do a completely different job. Our more than 800 google, Tripadvisor and you name it 5* reviews show that we are doing it right. Yes - we do run into problems but it is the way you handle it which makes the difference. You did it right when a "problem" client leaves with a smile. That is the part I was missing so far - nobody at General RV gave me the feeling that somebody is working on it with priority.

Anyway - we hopefully get it resolved without a lawyer. That is the last thing I want. I just want my rig back in a timely manner

Thanks again