Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2022, 05:28 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #4121
EV on the road

I'll start with the "it just depends". I have a 2013 Volt that I have been towing, front wheels up only, for 8 years. In my case the "it depends" part is Chevy lets you tow it on a dingy, front wheels up. Since this only has a motor on the front wheels, there's no problem and it says so in the owners manual, not sure if I could do this if it had front and rear axle motors so "it depends" on the makers allowance. I use a Level 1 charger most of the time on the road to be able to charge and run the camper most of the time without blowing breakers on the pedestal. I have a Level 2--50 amp outlet at home and needless to say it's a lot faster. IF you buy a Level 2 charger in either 50 or 30 amp capable for on the road with the correct male ends, you could charge the faster rate at the campground as "it depends" at most of the campgrounds we stay at have the exact same 30 and 50 amp receptacles. I would think you wouldn't or shouldn't hook up both on one pedestal though, especially in hot weather with your AC running.

Old 12-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #62

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Has anyone who is currently towing an EV rigged a way to charge your EV at the type1 110v charging rate from the RV generator while driving? If so how does it work out?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:11 PM   #63

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Has anyone who is currently towing an EV rigged a way to charge your EV at the type1 110v charging rate from the RV generator while driving? If so how does it work out?
Easy. Plug in your level I, 110v charger to the 110v external outlet on your RV and run the generator. That should work fine with the A/C running, but I wouldn’t also run any big AC appliances like a microwave or hai dryer at the same time.

Edit: I missed the “while driving” part. Theoretically you could do it the same way, but make sure that the charger and power cord is secured. A better way would be to install a 110v outlet in a rear compartment and plug your charger into that.

David
Old 12-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #64
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Doesn't that defeat the "purpose" of an EV?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #65

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Doesn't that defeat the "purpose" of an EV?
Sure does. Your gas generator probably produces ten times the emissions and several times the CO2 per kWh as a utility natural gas fired power station.

David
Old 12-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #66

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
My 10k Onan burns around 1 gph producing 90 amps so that puts the cost of charging via generator in perspective very quickly.