RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,710
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
In what order would you recommend these modifications?
alignment, safe t plus, chf, rear track bar, front sumo

And yes weigh coach fully loaded to set proper air pressure in tires

Jerry
__________________

__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #62
Ron
Member
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
Posts: 92
THOR #1675
Do Sumo's improve the Ride? The Handling? Or both? My biggest complaint is the ride is bone jarring.

Those who have installed extra insulation...what kind did you use and where did you get the insulation material? Did you insulate the entire front section or just under the doghouse cover? How do you attach it?
__________________

__________________
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
Posts: 1,011
THOR #12698
Sumo Springs

I installed Sumo Springs on my 2018 Thor Siseta which is built on a Mercedes Benz Chassis. They make a big difference. Cuts way down on side to side motion especially going in/out of driveways or over speed bumps. They also reduce the wind motion when passing or being passed by large trucks. They were easy for me to install.
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Do Sumo's improve the Ride? The Handling? Or both? My biggest complaint is the ride is bone jarring.



Those who have installed extra insulation...what kind did you use and where did you get the insulation material? Did you insulate the entire front section or just under the doghouse cover? How do you attach it?


I got sound dead and heat barrier for the dog house. Found on Amazon. Self adhesive. Itís up to you what you want to use Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1964.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	16642Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	16643
I have also put sound dead under the drive and passenger sides of the cockpit. Plan to add heat barrier next. Again I got everything from Amazon.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
DenverTransplant's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
Posts: 388
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I got sound dead and heat barrier for the dog house. Found on Amazon. Self adhesive. Itís up to you what you want to use Attachment 16642Attachment 16643
I have also put sound dead under the drive and passenger sides of the cockpit. Plan to add heat barrier next. Again I got everything from Amazon.
Looks exactly like my pictures. I also got everything from Amazon.

I put Dynamat on the inside of the doghouse over the excuse for a doghouse liner that Thor provided. I then covered it with the Dynamat hood liner. I bought a large box of Dynamat so I'd have some to put under the driver and passenger floor. Haven't done that yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4430.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	16646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4442.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	16647  

__________________
Rick
2017 Thor ACE 30.1
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
Looks exactly like my pictures. I also got everything from Amazon.



I put Dynamat on the inside of the doghouse over the excuse for a doghouse liner that Thor provided. I then covered it with the Dynamat hood liner. I bought a large box of Dynamat so I'd have some to put under the driver and passenger floor. Haven't done that yet.



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Thatís exactly what I used. Big difference. Even bigger when you get the cockpit done
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Fish and Dear's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
Posts: 439
THOR #11266
Does anyone ever just keep it stock? I understand why these upgrades are done, but in my younger years I drove many a commercial vehicle and never had an issue. Our Class C has never been a problem with handling. The Class A we just bought does not have any noticeable movement when a truck passes or on horrible roads or wind. I don't know. I am not opposed to the upgrades if it will make a SIGNIFICANT difference I guess.
__________________
Jeff and Melissa - Roodie and Jaxson
US Navy Vet - Good Sam Life Member 804274173
2019 Hurricane 29M
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,543
THOR #12751
Suspension upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Does anyone ever just keep it stock? I understand why these upgrades are done, but in my younger years I drove many a commercial vehicle and never had an issue. Our Class C has never been a problem with handling. The Class A we just bought does not have any noticeable movement when a truck passes or on horrible roads or wind. I don't know. I am not opposed to the upgrades if it will make a SIGNIFICANT difference I guess.


I have pulled boats and snowmobile trailers for 30 years and am very comfortable in all conditions..... wind, heavy truck traffic, snow, etc. I can back into any spot without an issue.

When I bought my first Class C last year I expected there to be a difference even though it was shorter than some of the trailers I have towed. Maybe things have gotten worse over the years but I never expected it to be a white knuckle driving experience every time I was behind the wheel.

Wind or heavy trucks pushing me out of my lane.... front end wandering..... feeling top heavy.... poor ride comfort.... etc.

When I changed sway bars, replaced the stock damper and added SumoSprings, it was a SIGNIFICANT difference is handling and ride comfort.

Itís a joy to drive now and was well worth the money. Wish I didnít have to spend it but it was worth it.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have pulled boats and snowmobile trailers for 30 years and am very comfortable in all conditions..... wind, heavy truck traffic, snow, etc. I can back into any spot without an issue.

When I bought my first Class C last year I expected there to be a difference even though it was shorter than some of the trailers I have towed. Maybe things have gotten worse over the years but I never expected it to be a white knuckle driving experience every time I was behind the wheel.

Wind or heavy trucks pushing me out of my lane.... front end wandering..... feeling top heavy.... etc.

When I changed sway bars, replaced the stock damper and added SumoSprings, it was a SIGNIFICANT difference is handling and ride comfort.

Itís a joy to drive now and was well worth the money. Wish I didnít have to spend it but it was worth it.


I had the same white knuckle experience. Did the upgrades in my class A. My wife and I drove home Sunday in 25-35 MPH winds. We would have never done that before the upgrades.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Fish and Dear's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
Posts: 439
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
am very comfortable in all conditions..... wind, heavy truck traffic, snow, etc. I can back into any spot without an issue.

Maybe things have gotten worse over the years but I never expected it to be a white knuckle driving experience every time I was behind the wheel.

Wind or heavy trucks pushing me out of my lane.... front end wandering..... feeling top heavy.... poor ride comfort.... etc.

When I changed sway bars, replaced the stock damper and added SumoSprings, it was a SIGNIFICANT difference is handling and ride comfort.

Itís a joy to drive now and was well worth the money. Wish I didnít have to spend it but it was worth it.
Interesting. Our class C has been a pleasure to drive just stock. I generally relax in the seat an 2-finger it headed down the highway. Gusting high winds is a different matter, though. It seemed an adventure in my 20s in a big rig. Now I worry about the wife and dogs. Perhaps I should let her be the judge in this new class A. I am confident in my driving skills, but if she feels ill-at-ease or the dogs get sick then I will do some upgrades. And in my 50s I am already seeing my responses to things are not QUITE like when I was 21. Safety first, right??
__________________
Jeff and Melissa - Roodie and Jaxson
US Navy Vet - Good Sam Life Member 804274173
2019 Hurricane 29M
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Fish and Dear's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
Posts: 439
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I had the same white knuckle experience. Did the upgrades in my class A. My wife and I drove home Sunday in 25-35 MPH winds. We would have never done that before the upgrades.
What are the issues you found in your Hurricane? We just bought the 29M. Test drove in some high winds, but we are used to that. It's those 50+ MPH gusts that surprise me. Are you feeling top heavy sway or general steering/handling issues?
__________________
Jeff and Melissa - Roodie and Jaxson
US Navy Vet - Good Sam Life Member 804274173
2019 Hurricane 29M
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
What are the issues you found in your Hurricane? We just bought the 29M. Test drove in some high winds, but we are used to that. It's those 50+ MPH gusts that surprise me. Are you feeling top heavy sway or general steering/handling issues?


Before the upgrades I had a hard time keeping it in my lane when getting passed. It feels top heavy, tail wag and the ride was terrible. I am very new and donít have any experience driving a class A. I have a lot of experience pulling horse and boat trailers with no issues. This is not the same.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 3,083
THOR #6826
Suspension upgrades

Good for you. I also thought stock was fine even in New Mexico with wind alerts being broadcast. I did eventually add a steering stabilizer thinking (hoping) it would help in a steering emergency (steer tire blowout or dropping g a front wheel off the pavement). Iím not sure it made the driving better but it is a bit less loose. Iím in the process of doing the CHF but only because itís C and it gets rave reviews. Iím open to ďbetterĒ but have no actual complaints with stock.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:39 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,543
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Interesting. Our class C has been a pleasure to drive just stock. I generally relax in the seat an 2-finger it headed down the highway. Gusting high winds is a different matter, though. It seemed an adventure in my 20s in a big rig. Now I worry about the wife and dogs. Perhaps I should let her be the judge in this new class A. I am confident in my driving skills, but if she feels ill-at-ease or the dogs get sick then I will do some upgrades. And in my 50s I am already seeing my responses to things are not QUITE like when I was 21. Safety first, right??


I agree that safety driving these rigs is paramount. Iím also in my mid-50ís and know what you mean.

I drove a Penske Box Truck from PA to
FL about the size of my Class C about 10 years ago. It was not nearly as bad from a handling and ride comparison to my Outlaw 29H. Thatís why I was a little surprised at the difference.

I thought Iíd get used to it or it would get batter with time but after 2500 miles, I had enough and made the changes.... and I wonít look back. I think it is much safer and much more comfortable to drive.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:52 AM   #75
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
Posts: 40
THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Thatís exactly what I used. Big difference. Even bigger when you get the cockpit done

I am going to do the doghouse for sure! Thank to both of you for the info.

How do you do the cockpit? Thank you!
__________________
Hurricane34J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:59 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane34J View Post
I am going to do the doghouse for sure! Thank to both of you for the info.



How do you do the cockpit? Thank you!


The cockpit is not easy. I used the front levels to get the front up as high as I could. Then I just took my 66 y/o butt and dragged it around underneath until everything was covered. Thank god my wife was not home to get pictures!!
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:02 AM   #77
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
Posts: 40
THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
The cockpit is not easy. I used the front levels to get the front up as high as I could. Then I just took my 66 y/o butt and dragged it around underneath until everything was covered. Thank god my wife was not home to get pictures!!
Ha. I think I am getting the idea. If you are able to take pictures of the underside of the coach for us and share, that would be awesome.
__________________
Hurricane34J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:31 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Ron1Z's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Florida
Posts: 402
THOR #8069
Installed new front Sumo springs on my 29M today, very easy to do took about an hour in the driveway and used the front levelers to raise the front a little.
Went for a test ride and noticed a big differance in the ride and bumps seem alot smoother also no more or very little leaning during turns. Well worth the $463.00 that I paid for them.
__________________
Good Sam Member 836274654
FMCA F491320
Ron1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
Posts: 136
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane34J View Post
Ha. I think I am getting the idea. If you are able to take pictures of the underside of the coach for us and share, that would be awesome.
You DO know that you are asking him to drag his '66 year old butt' back under that coach...right? (I agree... Pictures would be great. Of the insulating job too! )
__________________
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:08 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
You DO know that you are asking him to drag his '66 year old butt' back under that coach...right? (I agree... Pictures would be great. Of the insulating job too! )


The weather was bad today. I will drag my 66 y/o butt under the coach as soon as it dries out.
__________________

__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×