Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #61
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A clean tank; makes for a happy crapper.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:45 AM   #62

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner255 View Post
Would someone have a guesstimate on how long it takes to fill the black tank via the sani-flush?

I believe the black tank on our 2020 Compass 23TW is 19 gallons.

I waited 20 minutes and the level did not even reach 1/3 full.

Prior I had been using the bathroom sink and noticed the black tank level on the monitor was full.

I may need to have the dealer check it again.

Cheers!
My 40 gallon takes maybe 5 minutes to fill

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #63

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubawise View Post
flush
lol lol lol lol
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #64

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
After flsushing with clean water twice, I add a few gallons more and then add Calgon, Dawn and spetic tabs.
How much do you use? A cup of each?

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #65

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
An RV black tank doesn't function like a home septic system. It's simply a TEMPORARY storage tank. You fill it - then you COMPLETELY dump it. A home septic system needs enzymes added to break down solids more effectively... the solids stay in the "septic tank".

An RV black tank is short term storage... you fill it (to some degree), then COMPLETELY dump it. Adding enzymes is unnecessary - you will dump the tank before they have a chance to break anything down.

All you need is an emulsifier and (if desired) a perfuming agent. I use laundry detergent - it's a great emulsifier and I like the smell.

How much? It's not an exact science. Our black tank is 20 gallons when full, so I pour in between 1 and 2 cups of Tide liquid. As an extra measure, I add about a cup of Calgon, which just adds to the "slick effect"... probably overkill.

After you dump and THOROUGHLY RINSE your black tank, flush about 2 gallons water, then add the detergent cocktail. No guarantee, but I think you'll find less odors in your RV, and your tank level sensors will work reliably for years.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #66

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I tried very hard to avoid this thread because of all of the crap But a few things that I must share.

For starters this topic is best covered with a few basic assumptions.

1. Dump frequency. - One with a 40 gallon tank will go twice as long as one with with 20 gallon tank. How long the RV sits in between trips, and in excessive hot weather matters greatly into the equation.

2. Clean Black Tank Start - Most agree that a few gallons of a water Dawn , Calgon etc should be to added at the beginning. However, 5 gallons of water is 12.5% - 25% of the total black tank capacity . I use Campa-Chem® Original | Products | Thetford (8 oz summer, 4 oz winter) and about a gallon of water. In addition to breaking down solids, it is a deodorant with a nice smell. It starts to work immediately and can breakdown ANY toilet paper within 30 minutes. I have used it in boats for 30 years. The Chemical I use is not designed for Septic tank applications but specifically for RV/Marine.

3. What goes in - I use regular household toilet paper, Angel Soft 2 Ply Septic Safe to be exact. I can't possible imagine how our system could get clogged as long as we keep adding water to the tank with the biodegradable chemicals. Adding Dawn / Calgon certainly could help, but I have not seen a need given the Thetford Campa Chem we use. When my 2/3 full light comes on, it is time to dump.

Dump Process

I have a Jet Flo macerator pump but it is only to push the affluent 100ft to a sewer tap at home.

1. I open black tank valve, turn on pump until it runs dry.
2. With black tank valve open, I open gray tank and let it stabilize. I then close Gray tank and turn pump back on and run black tank dry. I repeat this 2 or 3 times until water coming is out looking clean.
3. I close black tank valve and connect my sani flush. I am guilty of not knowing what level of filling to black tank , as I just let it run about 5 min and open the black tank. I then let it run until all clear, and shut down the black tank valve.
4. Open the gray tank valve and let the gray tank empty and close it.
5. I go pour 8 oz of Thetford in toilet flushing it until about 1 gallon of water is in tank and I am done.

Optional side notes

Google some videos on how toilet paper breaks downs with various chemicals. You will be surprised at how well water works but the chemicals are vastly superior. When RV was new we had a coupon with CW and bought several of those 4 pack rolls of RV toilet paper. Worst thing I ever did. It was too thin, I might as well been using my hand to wipe. In fact since we had so much, we brought it in the house to use it up faster versus throwing a way. Logic? We don't use chemicals in the house, I worry more about a clog sewer liner in the house than an RV.

One thing that I have not done, that I am wanting to try, and that is when I have finished dumping at a campground, I may add 1/3 tank of fresh water to the black tank for the trip home (less Campa Chem), so when I get home, I can dump it just to see how much more did the sloshing around get?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:13 PM   #67

THOR #16721
You can make it as simple or complicated as you wish... even going as far as wearing a ceremonial costume and chanting...

In the end (no pun intended there...) do what works for your style of camping... volume you flush into your tank, how big your tank is, quantity of TP vs water, how long between tank dumps... even your diet

There are even people who claim they use nothing but plain water with NO additives, and have never had clogs, bad sensors or odor.

Probably the ONLY constant is NEVER poop into a DRY black tank!! You MUST have fluid in there to prevent creating a petrified mass in there!

I like dk's idea:
"One thing that I have not done, that I am wanting to try, and that is when I have finished dumping at a campground, I may add 1/3 tank of fresh water to the black tank for the trip home (less Campa Chem), so when I get home, I can dump it just to see how much more did the sloshing around get?"
Old 07-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #68

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
You can make it as simple or complicated as you wish... even going as far as wearing a ceremonial costume and chanting...

In the end (no pun intended there...) do what works for your style of camping... volume you flush into your tank, how big your tank is, quantity of TP vs water, how long between tank dumps... even your diet

There are even people who claim they use nothing but plain water with NO additives, and have never had clogs, bad sensors or odor.

Probably the ONLY constant is NEVER poop into a DRY black tank!! You MUST have fluid in there to prevent creating a petrified mass in there!

I like dk's idea:
"One thing that I have not done, that I am wanting to try, and that is when I have finished dumping at a campground, I may add 1/3 tank of fresh water to the black tank for the trip home (less Campa Chem), so when I get home, I can dump it just to see how much more did the sloshing around get?"
That was kind of my end point (pun intended)

It is not rocket science. Actually very simple

I bought a RV that has a toilet and a designed black tank holding system. I am gonna use it just like I do home, short I have to dump the holding tank when it is 2/3 full. Adding water to that tank is good, adding chemicals to break down toilet paper and solids is good, adding Calgon / Dawn is good. Paying 5 times more for TP that will certainly breakdown faster is bad to me due to cost and just awful to use; it is too thin. Not using the black waste holding tank for Toilet paper defies conventional wisdom to me. Sometimes you just have to use as intended, and smell the roses, (no pun intended).
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #69

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I usually add a box of triscuits the night before we dump, it adds just enough fiber to the tank. the tank flows freely and it's never been backed up
Old 07-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #70

THOR #16721
I bought a RV that has a toilet and a designed black tank holding system. I am gonna use it just like I do home.
Same here! I bought it to USE... toilet AND shower. I've actually stopped at a freeway rest stop and taken a hot shower in the MH... those things are there to use and enjoy!
Old 07-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #71

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I usually add a box of triscuits the night before we dump, it adds just enough fiber to the tank. the tank flows freely and it's never been backed up
Triscuits are a common choice of additives to supplement any RV/Marine Black Tank Holding system. The fibers will cling to any commercially used toilet paper, and the weight of the iron will aid in the prevention of the toilet paper from being able to cling to a wall. However, too much Calgon / Dawn will reduce the working effectiveness of Triscuits due to the fiber and iron's difficulty to bond with the toilet paper It is for this reason the Campa Chem is recommended as it liquefies any waste, and breaks down tissue fast to prevent clogging with built in powerful detergents to clean tank walls and drain lines without introducing calcium or chlorides to the Waste Holding Tank system.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #72

THOR #20274
Old 07-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #73

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post

A cup each will do it and a couple gallons of water.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:50 PM   #74

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Do you eat them first???

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:28 AM   #75

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post