Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2021, 12:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Thor Super C front cap issues

If you have a Thor Super C Omni/Magnitude or one of the previous Thor Super C and are having front cap/structural issues step inside and explain what’s going on and add pics if you have them.
I have the Omni XG32 and having the same front cap structural issue that Judge had and Thor fixed his under warranty.
I have been communicating with Thor warranty for the last 2 days and have explained the issue and sent pictures of the issue and have told them that several others on the Thor forum have the same structural front cap issue and Thor fixed them.
Today Thor warranty told me that there is no issue and they will not cover or fix this problem, in fact Thor warranty told me the screws just need tightened and some sealer put on the molding.

So if you have a Thor Super C with the same structural issue step inside and explain your issue with the front cap and add pictures.
This is a serious problem and Thor needs to step up to the plate and take care of it. I know just on this forum alone there are several of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	32588  

Old 08-06-2021, 12:53 AM   #2

THOR #4243
I have more pictures of other screws coming out, but if you look to the top of the pic you will see the screw has come out, these screws hold the front cap on.
Bad structural issue.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:55 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Kw, is that the side molding by the front cap? Higher up to the roof? Great….I need another repair project not. Can’t finish the first 1 yet.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:59 AM   #4

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Kw, is that the side molding by the front cap? Higher up to the roof? Great….I need another repair project not. Can’t finish the first 1 yet.
Terry
Yes it is, the screws are all pushing out through the molding, there are several on each side pushing out. The same issue Judge and others had. Those screws hold the front cap on.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:11 AM   #5

THOR #4243
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ews-27720.html

This is the thread started by Pillbox having structural issues with the front cap.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:19 AM   #6

THOR #4243
This the molding on the passenger side, I put some sealant on it to keep rain water out and used white so it would show up in the picture better. That's how far it has separated. There are other screws pushing out on the passenger and drivers side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rv8.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	32594  
Old 08-06-2021, 01:20 AM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
kwplot34.... thanks for starting this thread so Super C owners can track who else have had this issue and how best to resolve it.

The person you are speaking with at Thor is inexperieced and unfamiliar with this issue and justing giving you "the company line."

This is not a cosmetic issue.... it is a sructural issue. Your may be in the early stages but after a few more trips, it will start to look the way my coach did.

Here are some of the pictures where you can see holes from screws that broke off. Other screws trying to push through the modling. You can also gaps between the front cap and the cab that open up when leveling the coach.

I also have a video showing the gaps growing in size as the coach was leveled and the body and front cap began flexing during the levleing process.

If you allow this to go uncheched, the side wall screws and the screws in the woof of the cab olding on the front cap abd cab-over will all break or fall out. I know someone reported they could actually lift the from cap up and down on the roof of the cab when it got really bad.

The guys at the Thor Service Center they are not putting bog enough screws and enough screws to properly attached the front cap to the house and the cab. What is a real shame is that this has been a problem for over 7 years. You would think by now they would have changed and improved the assembly process when they introduced the Omni / Magnitude.

When I started looking at Super C's two years ago and I was at a dealer in Ft Myers, FL looking at Renegade, Dynamax and Jayco. They told me they stopped offering Thor's Super C because they were so many issues with them and they got tired of trying to get support from Thor to resolve all the issues.

After a couple months of looking at Super C's I didn't heed that dealer's advice. The Magnitude had the most bang for the buck, looked very sharp, checked of almost every box for us in terms of a floor plan..... and on the surface it looked like the quality and workmanship was better than the Thor Class C's.... as should be the case given they are more than twice the cost.

I remember someone posting a long time a go that we should report this to the NHTSA as a safety issue. After seeing the pictures Pillbox has posted, it makes you wonder if that is not the right way to go.

Hopefully more people with Super C's who have had the front cap issue will also post their experience. I already know one guy who sold his SV34 back to a dealer at a big loss after a major slide issue and his front cap starting to show signs of flexing and separation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 8.59.50 PM.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	32590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 9.00.04 PM.png
Views:	226
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	32591  

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 9.00.17 PM.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	32592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 9.00.25 PM.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	32593  

Old 08-06-2021, 01:27 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Terry
Terry...... if the molding at the front cap going up the driver and passenger side doesn't look like my pictiues or the way kwplot's looks in his pictures, you may not have to worry once you get your front cap mounted better on the cab roof and also fix the mounting of the house to the cab based on your pictures.

When the coach is being leveled, the house body and front cap starts to flex. Once the screws loosen, break or fall out at the mounting points, the molding will start to break loose and lift and you will see screw heads trying to push through the molding.

Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 08-06-2021, 01:34 AM   #9

THOR #4243
Thanks Judge.
After looking at your pictures and looking at my coach and the pictures, I don't know how Thor warranty could say there is NO issue and No structural problem, I have the exact same thing going on that you had, and Thor fixed yours and told me the screws need tightened and some sealer.
I will see if I can talk to someone else at Thor warranty with a little more experience.
I believe if Thor brought my RV into their service area and let their Tech's look at it, they would say this is a structural issue and needs fixed.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:48 AM   #10

THOR #24260
Here are your screws, KW. Found them in my coach.
Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E34EEE6E-1687-40EB-AD90-705079263098.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	32596  
Semper Fi
Old 08-06-2021, 02:57 AM   #11

THOR #4243
Dammit Pillbox give those back before the front of my coach falls off
Old 08-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #12

THOR #4243
I sent a message to Boerne RV to join this discussion since he has seen and fixed this structural issue.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #13

THOR #4243
Another thread about the structural issue of the Thor Super C front cap.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...r-c-15335.html
Old 08-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #14

THOR #4243
And another one.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ion-26873.html
Old 08-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #15

THOR #4243
And another.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...sue-22547.html
Old 08-06-2021, 10:22 PM   #16

THOR #4243
I requested today that another person from Thor warranty contact me because I just did not believe the person I was talking too knew what they were doing.
Another person did contact me and said they would have an appointment date for me at the Thor service center in about 3-5 business days.
50/50 chance of them actually fixing it under warranty, but we will see.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:39 PM   #17

THOR #24260
May the warranty Gods be kind to you
Terry
Semper Fi
Old 08-07-2021, 06:37 AM   #18

THOR #4243
Quote:
May the warranty Gods be kind to you
Terry
I hope so. Or else I will have to fix it myself and I don't need any more projects right now.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Guys, if that’s not a legit structural issue I’ve never seen one. Thor should fix it at n/c as it is a hazard. What if you hit a big enough bump and the cap flies off into traffic. Yes, I’d report it to the NTHSA. Wonder how others manufacturers attach the cap?
Old 08-08-2021, 03:39 AM   #20

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Guys, if that’s not a legit structural issue I’ve never seen one. Thor should fix it at n/c as it is a hazard. What if you hit a big enough bump and the cap flies off into traffic. Yes, I’d report it to the NTHSA. Wonder how others manufacturers attach the cap?
I agree. Had a trip planned to Wyoming in September, but with the screws coming out that hold the front cap on that trip is canceled. First time we have ever had to cancel a trip with any of our motor homes, always thought someday we might have to but not for the front of the coach falling off.