Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Flex Seal instead of Lap Sealant?

Has anyone tried white Flex Seal instead of the standard lap sealant on any of your roof penetrations? I did a search and did not find any posts about it. It is a PIA to clean and re-do the lap sealant in those tight areas every 2-3 yrs. especially here in FL. I have Eternabond tape on most of the more or less straight seams and it is a do it once and it is done.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think you're better off with Eternabond than Flex Seal.

Flex Seal is really permanent. Sure no maintenance but if you ever have to replace something you'll probably have to replace the roof.

So I'd vote no for Flex Seal on the roof.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I guess as long as you recognize it's permanence:
It's kind of nice to know that it works as advertised.
Eternabond is also pretty dang permanent also...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #4

THOR #1249
I was thinking about cleaning the lap sealant as usual and applying Flex Seal on top, see if it would fill the cracks and provide a seal over the lap sealant. Of which there is at least one layer, maybe two. Although, when cleaning the old lap sealant a good bit of it is dissolves using a stiff brush, mineral spirits and finishing up with 90% alcohol.
Then again, if the lap sealant base starts cracking more, not sure the Flex Seal would hold up. May just try it on the sewer vent pipe and see how it goes since it is small and good for a test site. If the base lap sealant cracks open or something does not work out, it would be an easy fix.
Thanks for the info as I have never used Flex Seal; just seen and read about the hype with the guy that gets all excited in the ad.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I was thinking about cleaning the lap sealant as usual and applying Flex Seal on top, see if it would fill the cracks and provide a seal over the lap sealant. Of which there is at least one layer, maybe two. Although, when cleaning the old lap sealant a good bit of it is dissolves using a stiff brush, mineral spirits and finishing up with 90% alcohol.
Then again, if the lap sealant base starts cracking more, not sure the Flex Seal would hold up. May just try it on the sewer vent pipe and see how it goes since it is small and good for a test site. If the base lap sealant cracks open or something does not work out, it would be an easy fix.
Thanks for the info as I have never used Flex Seal; just seen and read about the hype with the guy that gets all excited in the ad.
I used it on my brake light cutouts:
Click image for larger version

Name:	axistaillights3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	29209

If you buy a can I would recommend spraying a spare piece of wood or some other scrap just to see how it works and cures prior to going all out on the roof.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #6

Model: Omni
State: California
THOR #22133
I’ve never used the flex seal sealant, but their tape was useless. It wouldn’t hold a seal on a water hose leak, and it had very little pressure!
Old 03-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I would think that the paste should stick pretty well...
Old 03-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #8

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I used it on my brake light cutouts:
Attachment 29209

If you buy a can I would recommend spraying a spare piece of wood or some other scrap just to see how it works and cures prior to going all out on the roof.
Good idea. Will do.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #9

THOR #1249
What started the lap sealant thread was, and this may be another thread; I was doing the AC coil cleaning which is a more involved job than applying lap sealant. First time I have done it since 2015 and it really needed it. After finishing up, replacing the AC cover, started looking around and noticed some, if not all the lap sealant was cracking.
Anytime I go on the roof there is something that needs attention.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
What started the lap sealant thread was, and this may be another thread; I was doing the AC coil cleaning which is a more involved job than applying lap sealant. First time I have done it since 2015 and it really needed it. After finishing up, replacing the AC cover, started looking around and noticed some, if not all the lap sealant was cracking.
Anytime I go on the roof there is something that needs attention.
That's why you only get a 90 warranty on roof leaks and are supposed to inspect the roof at least twice a year.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #11

Model: Majestic 23A
State: Virginia
THOR #950
Last summer, as an experiment, I tried using FlexSeal on my rubber roof where it goes over the side of the rig and attaches to the wall. I was having a few leaks and it seemed to stop them since then. So I bought 2 more cans and plan to do the back half of the roof the first few days that there is no rain. I prep the area by cleaning it with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They also make a mop with a Magic Eraser on it so you don't have to get on the roof. The Magic Eraser cleans the area well. Just let it dry and apply the Flex Seal. The Flex Seal sticks to the clean rubber roof very well. My RV is 16 years old so I don't mind experimenting with stuff like this.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:52 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Has anyone tried white Flex Seal instead of the standard lap sealant on any of your roof penetrations? I did a search and did not find any posts about it. It is a PIA to clean and re-do the lap sealant in those tight areas every 2-3 yrs. especially here in FL. I have Eternabond tape on most of the more or less straight seams and it is a do it once and it is done.
Eternabond tape is AWESOME!!!!! Never tried Flex Seal but it looks like a good product? Let us know. Bob Trice
Old 03-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #13

THOR #1249
Good to hear that Flex Seal may hold up well on roofs.

As a test, I applied the Flex Seal spray on top of some lap seal around bathroom hatch. i.e. after I had cleaned it and the cracks in the lap sealant well . I masked off the roof at the edge of the lap sealant as it is kinda messy and sticky. It does not dry very fast either and has a tendency to run if you spray to much at once. I followed the directions and put on several coats, so will wait and see how well it holds up over time. If it holds up longer than the lap sealant it would be a good alternative where it is difficult or impossible to use Eternabond tape.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:35 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I used the Flex Seal in a spray can on the shower skylight in my last class c. It did not hold up and did nothing to stop the leak I was experiencing. Scraping all the old dicor off and cleaning the area and then applying new dicor stopped the leak. The one thing I know is if it's sold on TV it is a gimmick. You never see anyone winning a fishing tournament with a pocket fisherman.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #15
RWR

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Arkansas
THOR #6536
Flex seal

Don’t know about the roof, but I used flex seal on my awning canopy where it it was tearing and it also has pinholes.
Worked beautifully
Old 03-28-2021, 01:16 AM   #16

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Is lap sealant the same as self leveling silicone? That self leveling silicone is fantastic. I had to move my antenna dome to do a modification and the roof vinyl was torn under it from the manufacturer. So I sealed it the resealed the screw holes on the dome. It was an ugly application but 5 mins later it was smooth and stayed like that. Nothing will get through that.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #17

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
FLEX SEAL

I have noticed many gnd studs, screws and wire harnesses that are just exposed to the rain, atmosphere. I have purchased a few cans of spray clear FLEX SEAL and have covered the exposed gnd studs. This provides a water tight seal and is clear, so it looks like production, however, you have a rust preventive barrier.

Any thoughts on this.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:49 AM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #24719
I've used the spray flex seal on a roof joint at my home and on some pool equipment PVC. It's held up quite well after a year.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:00 AM   #19

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
I wouldn't recommend the FlexSeal tape in areas where you can use Eternabond. I applied the tape on an area around the windshield and it worked well initially. After about 6 months it started to get air bubbles under the tape and it finally relieved itself! The adhesive is still very sticky, but doesn't bond the tape to the surface. The adhesive feels like super sticky rubber cement, but useless in keeping the tape in place at the point. Where I have Eternabond on the roof, it does not want to be removed!. And no leaks!!
Old 09-16-2021, 03:16 AM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I had a small leak in black tank pipe..flexseal took 4 coats to work. ...
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote