Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #901
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Walking around Camping World this morning gave me too many ideas for mods! LOL

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #902

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
J,

Nothing good ever happens when you're walking around Camping World

I like the Vortex II Fan upgrade. This is a nice upgrade for the bathroom fan.

Those Fantastic Fans are pretty sweet. The reverse feature could be very useful in expelling hot air.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #903

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I did all three replacements, and am happy that I did it. I feel the antenna update had the least value. But I do hardly watch TV anyway. That is also the reason why I can't understand why anybody would want to have an outside TV. When I am outside I want to enjoy the outside and read a book if I need entertainment.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #904
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
I've already done 3 Fantastic Fan replacements (1 in our old TT, and 2 in our last RV the 5th wheel) so I know how good those are (in the 5th wheel I could put one on out and the other on in and get some good circulation going).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #905
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
The KC RV Show at Bartle Hall is next week ! We are going ... just because we miss our motorhome !!! Every year we attend whether or not we are in the market !
IT IS 2 DEGREES THIS MORNING WITH SNOW ON THE GROUND!
WE NEED SOMETING POSITIVE !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #906

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
Table storage holders fail

Looking for a fix or good modification for the table holders in the closet.

My table holders in the closet started to fail on the drive home from the dealer. When I took it back in, and pointed it out to the maintenance manager, he acknowledged the bad design, and indicated that I should take that up with Thor. I will do that come spring. Any good ideas?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:48 PM   #907

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
Smile

(Storage for table in closet) I used a 1" nylon strap and button snaps that I ordered on Amazon for $6.00, If you do this be sure to screw to the upper and lower of the closet anywhere else in the middle is just plain plywood and won't hold a screw . I think the 2017 Axis/Vegas only has a light twist latch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	3707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	3708  

Name:	IMG_1725.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	3709  
Old 01-13-2017, 03:36 AM   #908

THOR #3467
Table storage holders fail

The post below is what i did and has worked out very good in my 25.2 VEGAS.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #909

THOR #3467
modification

I added a second aircondioner it really helps to cool the coach faster, Window tint also helps we run the rear a/c on warmer days in south texas much quieter in living area. I'm sure we will enjoy the upgrade this summer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	3736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1435.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	3737  

Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #910

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson0231 View Post
I added a second aircondioner it really helps to cool the coach faster, Window tint also helps we run the rear a/c on warmer days in south texas much quieter in living area. I'm sure we will enjoy the upgrade this summer.
What size a/c (brand / model )did your add and can you run both units at once ?
Did you do it yourself or have your dealer do it ?
I think that's a great modification .
Old 01-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #911

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
How was the wiring? I assume you just put in a stand alone with a separate thermostat and did not hook it up to the existing ducts? Did you go with a smaller unit? I have been thinking about doing the same thing except I hate to lose my smart fan in the bedroom since we dry camp a lot. I have been thinking about installing one in the front vent instead, but I think I will have to upgrade my 30 amp service or add another 30 amp cord and line. That more than anything has stopped me. Good addition if you live in a hot climate.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #912

THOR #3467
I installed a Dometic Duo Therm Brisk 2 Air 13500 the Brisk 2 has small foot print i installed heat strips as well. I ran separate wiring,at most parks they have 50amp and 20amp on one pole and 30amp and 20amp on others. I moved my smart fan to the bathroom, the original fan in the bathroom is a joke i run rear roof air on fan only at times. I purchased the upper and lower unit together. I did add a separate 12 gauge wire with plug dedicated to the rear air.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #913

THOR #1765
Great installation! How did you run your 12 guage wire from the A/C unit and where did you run it to? Could you get it thru the ceiling down the wall? I was thinking of wiring mine in a similar manner except I thought I might run a 30 amp cord for the new A/C and buy a 50 amp splitter for the two 30 amp cords. If only had 30 and 20 amp and no 50, I could always use an adapter from 30 to 20 amps. That might be overkill.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #914

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Looking for a fix or good modification for the table holders in the closet.

My table holders in the closet started to fail on the drive home from the dealer. When I took it back in, and pointed it out to the maintenance manager, he acknowledged the bad design, and indicated that I should take that up with Thor. I will do that come spring. Any good ideas?
My fix was giving my wife the entire closet and all but 2 drawers. The 2 are for me. She has a ton of junk in front of the table holding it in place. Dont even know if we could get to it if we wanted to use it [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #915

THOR #3467
Oneikeys, I did run a stand alone wiring and also ran a 3 head extension cord coming up under couch so i can run electric heater if need 30amp doesn't let you have too much extra power in the coach, in the photos the yellow is for the a/c and the black plug under couch is for whatever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	3742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1740.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	3743  

Name:	IMG_1741.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	3744  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #916

THOR #1765
Nice... thanks for the pics.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 PM   #917

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Oneikeys, I did run a stand alone wiring and also ran a 3 head extension cord coming up under couch so i can run electric heater if need 30amp doesn't let you have too much extra power in the coach, in the photos the yellow is for the a/c and the black plug under couch is for whatever.
Im planning on installing a second ac also. I see how you ran the wiring on the ceiling but where does it go when it gets to the wall??

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:41 AM   #918

Model: Vegas 25.1
THOR #6308
Hello!

Hello, all! I'm Rose, and my wife and I are proud owners of a 2016 Thor Vegas 25.1. We've had it since June 2015, and for the most part, we love her. I do the driving and DW makes sandwiches.

Looking at the posts in this thread, though, makes me a little nervous- we are NOT mechanically/technically/vehicle-y brilliant. Fortunately, the two major problems we've had have been repaired by CW under warranty. Within 4 weeks of bringing her home, we acquired a stress crack in the windshield that Thor admitted is a factory problem, so they replaced it for free. The second was that there was no juice to the tow cable, so we towed our car without lights for our entire 3 week trip. Thankfully the rig lights are higher than our dinghy. CW fixed it when we got home. The next big thing is the danged driver side speaker goes in and out. Must be a short so we'll have that looked at before we leave.

I've created a list of other mods/issues that we'd like to take care of before our
4 month road trip this summer. Maybe some of you can offer up some thoughts?

1. Remove cornices/blinds and add lined curtains. I hate those blinds, and I'm a heck of a seamstress, so whipping up curtains won't be an issue.
2. Remove shower track and install a tension rod with wider/longer curtain and liner.
3. I hate the sewer hose taking up a compartment, so I'm going to have my handyman rig up one of those post hose holders I've seen here.
4. The bottom bedroom closet latch blew, so that has to be moved and reinstalled. Also, the accordion door snap fell off, so I'm just going to glue that sucker on because we don't use the door.
5. Under bench storage. Anyone have any ideas? I wanted to put doors in for easier access (removing the cushions and lifting that heavy wood gets tiring, even though we only do it once in a while), but I don't see how it's possible because the bench sides are padded. Maybe just remove the padding somehow? It's such a great space, but rather inconvenient to get to.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but I won't. . This looks like a great place to hang out and get ideas (just nothing to blessedly technical!).

Rose
Old 01-20-2017, 03:08 AM   #919
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseColson View Post
Hello, all! I'm Rose, and my wife and I are proud owners of a 2016 Thor Vegas 25.1. We've had it since June 2015, and for the most part, we love her. I do the driving and DW makes sandwiches.

1. Remove cornices/blinds and add lined curtains. I hate those blinds, and I'm a heck of a seamstress, so whipping up curtains won't be an issue.
2. Remove shower track and install a tension rod with wider/longer curtain and liner.
3. I hate the sewer hose taking up a compartment, so I'm going to have my handyman rig up one of those post hose holders I've seen here.
4. The bottom bedroom closet latch blew, so that has to be moved and reinstalled. Also, the accordion door snap fell off, so I'm just going to glue that sucker on because we don't use the door.
5. Under bench storage. Anyone have any ideas? I wanted to put doors in for easier access (removing the cushions and lifting that heavy wood gets tiring, even though we only do it once in a while), but I don't see how it's possible because the bench sides are padded. Maybe just remove the padding somehow? It's such a great space, but rather inconvenient to get to.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but I won't. . This looks like a great place to hang out and get ideas (just nothing to blessedly technical!).

Rose
Welcome Rose !
Sounds like you are doing well as a new RV owner !
You have your ToDo List ...
Your coach is different from ours...however, if you do not have a sink cover..you might want to get a cutting board for a cover so you have more counter space.
Having someone create the outside storage for your sewer hose is a must do.
Be sure to get a Surge Protector...which will protect all of your appliances/AC & Heating from poor power at campgrounds, etc.

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:22 AM   #920

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseColson View Post

Looking at the posts in this thread, though, makes me a little nervous- we are NOT mechanically/technically/vehicle-y brilliant. Fortunately, the two major problems we've had have been repaired by CW under warranty. Within 4 weeks of bringing her home, we acquired a stress crack in the windshield that Thor admitted is a factory problem, so they replaced it for free. The second was that there was no juice to the tow cable, so we towed our car without lights for our entire 3 week trip. Thankfully the rig lights are higher than our dinghy. CW fixed it when we got home. The next big thing is the danged driver side speaker goes in and out. Must be a short so we'll have that looked at before we leave.

I've created a list of other mods/issues that we'd like to take care of before our
4 month road trip this summer. Maybe some of you can offer up some thoughts?

Rose
Congratulations on your new motorhome and welcome to the Forum. There are tons of people on here that are ready, willing, and able to help you in any way possible.