RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
ACE 29.3 Black Water Tank

We went on a 4 day trip and discovered the black water tank on this model only holds 26 gallons. Also, the bathroom sink drains into this tank so it fills quickly. I am surprised that Thor down sized this tank as most other ACE models have a 40 gallon black water tank. The question to other 29.3 owners, 30.1 and 30.2 owners is how are these small tanks working for you? No other problems ... it was interesting that the gray water tank was only about 1/4 full when the black water tank indicated full. Also, I wonder if anyone knows for sure if the shower is going into the black water tank.
__________________

__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:51 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
bevedfelker's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,339
THOR #2601
You can ask Thor customer service for the construction schematics (fresh water and waste water). They will forward them to you by email.

My Vegas has the toilet and bathroom vanity drain to black tank. Everything else goes to gray tank including shower drain. I'm surprised your black fills faster than gray. My gray (42 gals) fills in about 4 days. My black can go for a week or 10 days before filling. The largest source of drain water for the black tank is the toilet.

I would guess your shower drains to the gray.
__________________

__________________
Ed & Bev Felker
Retired USAF Col and retired Nurse
Traveling with Lily & Bella ('Teddy Bear' breed)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
You can ask Thor customer service for the construction schematics (fresh water and waste water). They will forward them to you by email.

My Vegas has the toilet and bathroom vanity drain to black tank. Everything else goes to gray tank including shower drain. I'm surprised your black fills faster than gray. My gray (42 gals) fills in about 4 days. My black can go for a week or 10 days before filling. The largest source of drain water for the black tank is the toilet.

I would guess your shower drains to the gray.
Thanks for your info, your black water tank holds four more gallons than mine I think. I got to thinking maybe I failed to empty the black water tank before this last trip because I didn't think it needed it. Likely my mistake. But I didn't realize it was so small either. It is funny other ACE models hold 40 gallons and mine and two other models (including their biggest bunk house model) have such small tanks. It does't help having the sink in the bathroom draining into the black water tank either. I will contact
Thor to see wherethe shower drains.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Hittntherooad's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 30.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 327
THOR #3952
Our 30.1 has a 40 gallon and the bathroom also drains in it. Hasn't been a problem so far. Not a bad idea having the bathroom sink drain into the black tank since normally the grey tank fills faster.
__________________
Hittntherooad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
Our 30.1 has a 40 gallon and the bathroom also drains in it. Hasn't been a problem so far. Not a bad idea having the bathroom sink drain into the black tank since normally the grey tank fills faster.
Do you know if the shower drains into the black water tank? Thanks.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
bandorr2000's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
Posts: 137
THOR #2831
Easy to tell what drains where. Next time you are hooked up, open gray tank valve and empty. Leave gray valve open, run shower, note if water is coming out gray tank. Do same with sink(s).
__________________
Glenn & Jeanne
2014 Palazzo 35.1
2015 Equinox Toad
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandorr2000 View Post
Easy to tell what drains where. Next time you are hooked up, open gray tank valve and empty. Leave gray valve open, run shower, note if water is coming out gray tank. Do same with sink(s).
Wow! I was just thinking the same thing. You are right on.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,239
THOR #1150
Typical for Thor's motorhomes: The bathroom sink and toilet drain to the black tank; the shower and other sinks drain to one or more grey tanks.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2021 Mach-E
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Typical for Thor's motorhomes: The bathroom sink and toilet drain to the black tank; the shower and other sinks drain to one or more grey tanks.

Does anyone wonder why? I mean in a real pinch I suppose you could get rid of grey water, it usually isn't really that bad in most cases. But if your black tank is full you are up a creek without a paddle. I do wonder, however, if the sensors are accurate. It seems it showed "full" way too soon. Outside of the gauge, how else would you know if it was correct or not?
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,239
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery
Does anyone wonder why? I mean in a real pinch I suppose you could get rid of grey water, it usually isn't really that bad in most cases. But if your black tank is full you are up a creek without a paddle. I do wonder, however, if the sensors are accurate. It seems it showed "full" way too soon. Outside of the gauge, how else would you know if it was correct or not?
Its not just Thor that does it and I don't know the reason (the common answer has been: "more water to flush out the black tank").
Neither our prior campers were plumbed like that (two travel trailers and a 5th wheel).

The waste tank sensors are notorious for being inaccurate for just about every camper. There are many solutions to them (Horst Miracle Probes, or roll your own sensors--still working on that one; a couple of examples).
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2021 Mach-E
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
saddlesore's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 751
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Does anyone wonder why? I mean in a real pinch I suppose you could get rid of grey water, it usually isn't really that bad in most cases. But if your black tank is full you are up a creek without a paddle. I do wonder, however, if the sensors are accurate. It seems it showed "full" way too soon. Outside of the gauge, how else would you know if it was correct or not?
Install a "SeeLevel" system for black,gray & fresh tanks, takes more time to figure out how than to install and run wires for the monitor
__________________
current coach
An SOB called Foretravel
former coach
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
bevedfelker's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,339
THOR #2601
Like Jamie noted black tank sensors are notorious for being inaccurate. Sometimes toilet paper sticks to the sensor in the tank and that messes it up. What I do is every now and then I just about completely fill the black tank with water using the toilet flush to flush out loose toilet paper.

Jamie and others installed a Toronado flushing system that seems to work well.

Do you put a black tank treatment in your tank every time after you empty it? I use Walex Bio pax (green). They contain a deodorizing agent as well as enzymes that help dissolve toilet paper and other solids.

I like the idea that the bathroom vanity drains into the black tank. First, we never use our toilet for solids. We use the campground facilities for that. In an emergency we would use our toilet; however, we have not had that happen. We use the toilet for non-solid uses (if you get my drift). I find that we do not hold the flush valve down for long periods of time. Without a lot of water being used in the flushes, a pyramid of toilet paper would build up under the toilet drain. The extra water from the vanity (and that is just from hand washing and brushing teeth) adds additional water to ensure that the toilet paper dissolves and does not build up.
__________________
Ed & Bev Felker
Retired USAF Col and retired Nurse
Traveling with Lily & Bella ('Teddy Bear' breed)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Its not just Thor that does it and I don't know the reason (the common answer has been: "more water to flush out the black tank").
Neither our prior campers were plumbed like that (two travel trailers and a 5th wheel).

The waste tank sensors are notorious for being inaccurate for just about every camper. There are many solutions to them (Horst Miracle Probes, or roll your own sensors--still working on that one; a couple of examples).
If the Horst Miracle Probes works so well, why are they not standard equipment? Would it not be nice if Thor was known for great things usually not seen on lower priced motorhomes? Things like a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer (or the equivalent) and Horst Miracle Probes as standard equipment... Instead, both Thor and Forest River use the same kind of equipment which does work but there seems to be little difference in quality. Why not be #1 when it comes to the things that really count? Driveability, reliable sensors, seats that move up and down etc? Maybe some day.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Like Jamie noted black tank sensors are notorious for being inaccurate. Sometimes toilet paper sticks to the sensor in the tank and that messes it up. What I do is every now and then I just about completely fill the black tank with water using the toilet flush to flush out loose toilet paper.

Jamie and others installed a Toronado flushing system that seems to work well.

Do you put a black tank treatment in your tank every time after you empty it? I use Walex Bio pax (green). They contain a deodorizing agent as well as enzymes that help dissolve toilet paper and other solids.

I like the idea that the bathroom vanity drains into the black tank. First, we never use our toilet for solids. We use the campground facilities for that. In an emergency we would use our toilet; however, we have not had that happen. We use the toilet for non-solid uses (if you get my drift). I find that we do not hold the flush valve down for long periods of time. Without a lot of water being used in the flushes, a pyramid of toilet paper would build up under the toilet drain. The extra water from the vanity (and that is just from hand washing and brushing teeth) adds additional water to ensure that the toilet paper dissolves and does not build up.
Yes, we put black tank treatment in our black water tank every time after we empty it. I am thinking maybe we had a false reading. I will work on ways to avoid it happening in the future. Thanks for your input.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
Posts: 267
THOR #4117
My older Four Winds is plumbed the same as yours, toilet and bathroom sink into the black tank. All others into the grey.

I suspect the real reason is that the toilet and bathroom sink are on one side of the RV, while all the others are on the other side. It greatly simplifies the plumbing.

Personally, I like it that way. The grey tank fills much faster than the black, primarily due to the shower. The black tank usually needs more water to keep the solids from plugging the drain. It's a win-win situation.
__________________
tenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
My older Four Winds is plumbed the same as yours, toilet and bathroom sink into the black tank. All others into the grey.

I suspect the real reason is that the toilet and bathroom sink are on one side of the RV, while all the others are on the other side. It greatly simplifies the plumbing.

Personally, I like it that way. The grey tank fills much faster than the black, primarily due to the shower. The black tank usually needs more water to keep the solids from plugging the drain. It's a win-win situation.
That makes sense except the shower is also next to the sink and toilet... I hope it doesn't go into the black tank as well.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
Posts: 267
THOR #4117
Sure would explain why the black tank fills up too fast.
__________________
tenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:31 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Louisiana
Posts: 9
THOR #4309
Hey Bob. I have the 2017 ACE 29.3 and the shower definitely drains into the grey tank. My kids took long showers last weekend and the grey filled up but the black stayed at the same level.
__________________
Actup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:43 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
Posts: 186
THOR #2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
We went on a 4 day trip and discovered the black water tank on this model only holds 26 gallons. Also, the bathroom sink drains into this tank so it fills quickly. I am surprised that Thor down sized this tank as most other ACE models have a 40 gallon black water tank. The question to other 29.3 owners, 30.1 and 30.2 owners is how are these small tanks working for you? No other problems ... it was interesting that the gray water tank was only about 1/4 full when the black water tank indicated full. Also, I wonder if anyone knows for sure if the shower is going into the black water tank.
My shower on the 2016 ACE drains into the black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	2228  
__________________
Have a good one

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:47 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actup View Post
Hey Bob. I have the 2017 ACE 29.3 and the shower definitely drains into the grey tank. My kids took long showers last weekend and the grey filled up but the black stayed at the same level.
Well, we just got back from a three night trip, and the black water tank showed full again, the grey water tank only registered the first light indicater. Later, before emptying the black water tank showed 2/3 full instead of full. When I emptied them there really was a lot of stuff coming out. Does anyone know how much water is typically used per flush? PS I am going to post how NOT to empty a black water tank.
__________________

__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×