Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2021, 08:13 PM   #141

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Power switch install for Wineguard Connect 2.0

Since I'm here...

Has anyone who owns a Magnitude installed a power switch for the Wineguard Connect 2.0?

From the look of the wiring going into the coach, it looks like the power line could be tapped and the switch installed next to the antenna outlet. But when I pulled the antenna plate off to peek, it was pretty hard to see anything.

Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Thanks!

2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:45 PM   #142

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
(MT, SD,ND) Verizon is the best!! See my article on $20 month for serivce almost anywhere!!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #143

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the answer from Crater, however I just finished installing a Google Fi sim in my unit yesterday, and I think I have some tips for you...

Crater's instructions are spot on. I don't have a power switch for the Wineguard in my unit, so I just hit the master disconnect to pull the power.

Just locate the little clear protector window over the SIM slot and remove the two screws. You can then pop the SIM out by pushing it in and letting go. Pull it out.

Interestingly, in the Wineguard unit the SIM contacts face *down*. That's a bit unusual in my experience. Because the Google Fi SIMs are nano SIMs and the Wineguard wants a standard, you'll need an adapter as Crater said.

My problem was that the adapter kits I could find expect the SIM to be facing UP. This meant the the Fi SIM was going to fall out when I tried to put it in. Perhaps there's an adapter kit out there that works, but I couldn't find one. You could probably use a bit of scotch tape to tape the SIM into the type of adapter I found, but I decided to make a SIM adapter that holds the SIM card in and allows to card to face down at the same time. As I'm paranoid, I used some tape to hold the SIM in anyway.

Once the SIM is in, power up or reboot your unit and wait a few minutes. Then follow Crater's instructions. As he said, the towers that pop up with the Fi SIM are indeed T-Mobile towers. Once I entered the right APN (h2g2), it connected, and Dunzo.

The connection strength and speed have been great for me, although we haven't gone anywhere yet. I'm in Utah, so when you come out west I think you'll be fine as long as you don't get too far off grid.

As a side note, if anyone wants a copy of the file to print their own SIM adapter, drop me a line and I'll happily send it to you. Takes about 4 minutes to print.

Hope that helps!
Quick question..... I don't see a "Data Only" plan on the Google FI site. Did you just purchase the unlimited call, text and data plan and use the SIM in the Winegard?
Old 02-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #144

THOR #19910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Quick question..... I don't see a "Data Only" plan on the Google FI site. Did you just purchase the unlimited call, text and data plan and use the SIM in the Winegard?
Great question, because Google is a bit cagey here. Nothing in their marketing really mentions it, but once you've signed up for a plan, you can order up to four data only SIMs per account.

So you decide how many lines you want, and that determines your total plan cost. We have two unlimited data lines at $60 a line for $120 total cost. Then, once a line is activated, you can surf to your account info and order data SIMs. As I said you can get up to four. Those data SIMs are tied to your phone line account and use the same data bucket. That's important if you choose the pay as you go plan, because the data SIM counts against your total. Since we have unlimited data, it's not a problem and we essentially get free connectivity in the Wineguard (woohoo).

I mentioned previously that we used to be on Xfinity (Verizon MVNO). It was costing us $65 unlimited per line, plus IF an Xfinity data SIM would have worked, we'd have been paying another $45 per month for the data only portion. So for us Google is saving me $55 plus the headache of buying ridiculously expensive data from AT&T.
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Old 03-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #145

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
The 2021 ACE 33.1 we got last November came with the "Winegard Connect 2.0 Runs with TOGO.” . Like you, I tried that 10.11.12.1 step. It does NOT work. The "admin" password DO NOT work. I was able to log-in to the unit using the supplied password stamped on the receiver itself. But it just let me sign in to the Winegard.

I would like to be able to use The Winegard as 1) WiFi booster in the campgrounds and 2) Be able to use it as a mobile Wifi while on the road as my son is doing on-line school.

I have been calling Winegard for 3 days now. On hold for 30 mins at a time. No one is answering. I even opted for a "call-return" 3 times. Still NO call back. This is very frustrating (lack of support from Winegard).

bus2king, can you please write a step by step on the process you did (aside from getting a password from Winegard). Like which website or apps to use.

Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus2king View Post
Bought a 2020 Quantum a few months ago...here is my experience...took me a while to figure out.

My system is hardwired...always on.

It is a Winegard Connect 2.0 “runs with TOGO.” The “runs with TOGO” is important because the info about opening a web page with 10.11.12.1 doesn’t apply. TOGO is Thor’s own RV app for sites, maintenance schedules, etc. and for some reason you have to have a TOGO account paired with the unit to continue with the Connect2 setup. I believe it is through this app via the Winegard app that you can buy data plans through AT&T.

You can download both the TOGO app and the Winegard Connected app: the Winegard Connected app is how you will connect to the WiFi at any location and is the primary app.

The password shown on the front of the paperwork that came with the coach just connects your device (ipad, etc.) to the unit on the roof.

At this point for me, it was all good until I opened the Winegard Connect app...it was asking for a password that I thought was Admin...but it would not take it. I ended up calling Winegard...and they gave me a 12 character password that activated the app. After that I was golden....the app is self explanatory for WiFi search and connect, buying data, etc.

I went the round about trial and error method...frustrating...but I believe if you follow the publication (if you have it) step by step it will be less so (I didn’t).

Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:31 PM   #146

THOR #20220
See my post on winegard with Verizon for $20 month. There is a YouTube setup vedio and on thor website a setup vedio..works great!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 03-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #147

THOR #21278
Just want to give and update. No one ever called back from Winegard. So I emailed them. Someone emailed me back and asked for the SSID of my unit. I emailed them back with the information and they responded with a "unique password".

The "app" that I downloaded DO NOT WORK. However, I tried that "10.11.12.1", and it worked. I was abled to sign in and use my home wi-fi to test connection. I just need to search for a Sim Card that will work with our need.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:13 AM   #148

THOR #20220
Verizon $20
Old 03-20-2021, 01:41 AM   #149

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyanderson View Post
When we bought our connect 2 to use cellular data to stream to Rokus with Youtube TV, Netflix and Amazon, AT&T offered a prepaid unlimited data plan for $360 a year. Works great, but as soon as I got it installed, AT&T killed that plan. Data plans are now like $300 PER MONTH and thats not even unlimited. So now what was a good strategy for streaming TV and having internet access is not so much any more. I dont think I would buy one again just to get wifi as wan. .
Listen to ador
It is supposed to work with WIFI routers for free and mine finally did.
Just get a Verizon sim for 4G. It may take some juggling with Verizon but it is not supposed to. They don't often understand it.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #150

THOR #20220
The Verizon sim is $20 month. 15 gb streaming and only slows down if one exceeds 15 gb. You can stream everything! Also each of your phones comes with 15gb hotspot so 2 phones and sim 45gb !
Old 03-20-2021, 04:36 PM   #151
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
The Verizon sim is $20 month. 15 gb streaming and only slows down if one exceeds 15 gb. You can stream everything! Also each of your phones comes with 15gb hotspot so 2 phones and sim 45gb !
Sure that's not 20 per month for the line access and then the cost of the data plan selected?

Verizon is not that cheap.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #152

THOR #20220
Here is proof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210320-111058_My Verizon.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	29210  
Old 03-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #153

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
Same. Added a line on my Verizon account specific for the Winegard. $20 for Unlimited data -15g then slowed down. Hotspots on all our other cellular lines allowing for a lot of high-speed data.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #154

THOR #21278
Question on tha Verizon Sim card. We do not have Verizon account. All of our phones are with AT&T.

Can I just buy a pre-paid Sim Card at Verizon store (and load it when it is almost out of data), and activate it just to be used for the motorhome while on the road? That is all what I need on the Winegard (when on the road), since our son is currently doing on-line school. I will stop by a local Verizon store today and ask. Just want to hear feedback from those who have used the Verizon sim card (pre-paid).

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #155

THOR #19910
A quick update for folks using Google Fi (T-Mobile).

Since swapping my SIM card to Google Fi, I've noticed that intermittently the system will not connect, and pop a '4G access denied' error. Alternatively, the system will report that there is no SIM card installed. There's actually a youtube video about this, and the fix they describe (reset the system and re-seat the SIM card) works, it's a pain (especially since I don't have a power switch yet).

So I reached out to Winegard support. As previously noted, their hold times are atrocious, however their email support is awesome (help@winegard.com). One look at the screenshot from my app, and they said the modem needs replacing (the older modems don't support T-Mobile). So, they are shipping me a new one under warranty. I just need to swap it out and return the old one.

So if you're having this issue, contact them and get the upgraded modem.

BTW, the dual power panel that somebody posted in this thread earlier is also available by contacting Winegard support. The part number for that panel is 3200263 in case someone wants to order it.

Hope that helps someone!
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Old 03-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #156

THOR #21278
I stopped by Verizon store the other day and the store clerk told me that I cannot buy just the SIM card (since I currently don't have a Verizon phone line).

It was suggested by the clerk that I can buy a "Pre-paid Verizon phone", activate the line, pull out the SIM card and see if it works with the Winegard unit. If it does, I can just load the line each time I will be on the road. If it does NOT work, then I just lose $60 for the phone (and just have a spare phone).

Anyone gone this route (pre-paid Verizone phone)???
Old 03-26-2021, 07:26 PM   #157

THOR #12751
Quote:
A quick update for folks using Google Fi (T-Mobile).

Since swapping my SIM card to Google Fi, I've noticed that intermittently the system will not connect, and pop a '4G access denied' error. Alternatively, the system will report that there is no SIM card installed. There's actually a youtube video about this, and the fix they describe (reset the system and re-seat the SIM card) works, it's a pain (especially since I don't have a power switch yet).

So I reached out to Winegard support. As previously noted, their hold times are atrocious, however their email support is awesome (help@winegard.com). One look at the screenshot from my app, and they said the modem needs replacing (the older modems don't support T-Mobile). So, they are shipping me a new one under warranty. I just need to swap it out and return the old one.

So if you're having this issue, contact them and get the upgraded modem.

BTW, the dual power panel that somebody posted in this thread earlier is also available by contacting Winegard support. The part number for that panel is 3200263 in case someone wants to order it.

Hope that helps someone!

What year is your coach? My Magnitude is a 2020 so I guess I have the older modem as well.

I noticed that mine was not recognizing the SIM card over the winter and rebooting it seemed to solve the problem. I went a year without having an issue.

Are they sending you the same unit Thor installs? Up until a few months ago, Winegard did not offer the ConnecT 2.0 with thne HD antenna built-in. That was a Thor only option.

Winegard just started selling it for $449!

https://winegard.com/products/cellul...ect-2-4g2-plus

I actually decided that if I ever had to replace it, I would not remove the structure since mine is well sealed (I used EternaBond Tape over all of my seams when I bought my coach to permanently seal everything on the roof). I will remove the dome and just swap out the eletronics. Looks fairly easy to do.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #158

THOR #19910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
What year is your coach? My Magnitude is a 2020 so I guess I have the older modem as well.

I noticed that mine was not recognizing the SIM card over the winter and rebooting it seemed to solve the problem. I went a year without having an issue.

Are they sending you the same unit Thor installs? Up until a few months ago, Winegard did not offer the ConnecT 2.0 with thne HD antenna built-in. That was a Thor only option.

Winegard just started selling it for $449!

https://winegard.com/products/cellul...ect-2-4g2-plus

I actually decided that if I ever had to replace it, I would not remove the structure since mine is well sealed (I used EternaBond Tape over all of my seams when I bought my coach to permanently seal everything on the roof). I will remove the dome and just swap out the eletronics. Looks fairly easy to do.
Mine is a 2020 BH35, so I bet you're in the same boat. When I swapped the SIM in my unit, it worked for almost 2 months without a hiccup. Then on our trip to Nevada I started seeing issues. Since the card actually *does* work, I'm betting the problem is that there's some code in a ROM somewhere that doesn't correctly hand off between towers or providers, and causes what essentially is a crash. That's why you have to reset.

What I know at the moment is that they are sending what they are calling a 'replacement Quectel modem'. Once it arrives I'll screenshot the old and new units and post it. From what they sent, all I need to do is remove the dome and replace the modem. Looks like it's one of three boards, I assume, antenna, modem and mainboard.
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Old 03-26-2021, 08:01 PM   #159

THOR #12751
Quote:
Mine is a 2020 BH35, so I bet you're in the same boat. When I swapped the SIM in my unit, it worked for almost 2 months without a hiccup. Then on our trip to Nevada I started seeing issues. Since the card actually *does* work, I'm betting the problem is that there's some code in a ROM somewhere that doesn't correctly hand off between towers or providers, and causes what essentially is a crash. That's why you have to reset.

What I know at the moment is that they are sending what they are calling a 'replacement Quectel modem'. Once it arrives I'll screenshot the old and new units and post it. From what they sent, all I need to do is remove the dome and replace the modem. Looks like it's one of three boards, I assume, antenna, modem and mainboard.
Gotcha.... good to know they will send out individual components if needed versus swapping out the entire unit.

I may try contacting them to see if I can get the updated modem as well. I'll bet mine is the same vintage as yours.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #160

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
I been using Verizon since ATT pulled 30 dollar a month plan
I get 15 gigs for 20 bucks a month. Boy they lock it down when you go over!

My 1st unit fried, Winegard sent me new unit. Glad it did, Thor installers do a really crappy job screwing it to the roof. Would of started leaking eventually!

I swap out plate and used USB charger and cable to power the new wall plate that has the power switch.

4 screws hold the lid on, easy to get cover off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winegardinsidetv.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	29377   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB-Hub.png
Views:	60
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	29378  

Name:	wingardupgradepanel.jpg